Re: [thecompactnyc] Welcome, new members!

  • Michelle
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 8, 2008
      Hi all,
      My name is Michelle I can't remember how I found you guys. My goal for the year is to bring ecology, and sustainable agriculture into my son's school at PS178 in Washington Heights NYC, weaving it into the home life and the curriculum of these in city kids. Very exciting, the teachers, students and parents are all enthusiastic to see these changes take place. 2008 is off to a goo start!
      On Jan 8, 2008, at 1:44 PM, gynjasnap17@... wrote:

      In a message dated 1/8/2008 1:40:21 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, zwischenland@... writes:

      I am very excited that 18 people have joined The Compact NYC since
      November. Welcome!

      If you are new to the group, won't you please introduce yourself? How
      did you find us, and w

      Hi, I'm Ginger a 65 year old (as of yesterday, lol) retired person with two adopted teens still at home and two fur-ry children.  I don't remember who told me about this group but it seems right up my ally as I'm trying to be saving money, spending less on unneeded stuff and green at the same time

      Ginger (a very blessed mother and grandmother) =^;;^==
      "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass.It is about learning to
      dance in the rain!"

    • jillianslane
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 14, 2008
        Hello,
        I moved to Brooklyn about a year ago from San Francisco, where I had
        first heard about Compact.

        I decided to try Compact myself (for all of 2008) after a guilty dress
        purchase at H&M, followed by a National Geographic article on e-waste
        and that video "The Story of Stuff".

        I also decided to join because I work in an industry that has some
        wasteful practices. I wanted to dedicate this year to helping solve
        some of them. The Daily Digests are great reminders to me about how
        simple solutions to waste can make a difference.

        Just coming back from a recent vacation out west, I have to admit that
        not buying anything was difficult. But instead of going to retail
        stores during my down time, I took walks and spent time in thrift
        shops.

        I look forward to hearing about everyone's experiences, trading stuff,
        and expressing some creativity in my consumer choices!!

        Jillian

        --- In thecompactnyc@yahoogroups.com, "zwischenland" <zwischenland@...>
        wrote:

        > I am very excited that 18 people have joined The Compact NYC since
        > November. Welcome!
        >
        > If you are new to the group, won't you please introduce yourself? How
        > did you find us, and what attracts you to doing The Compact?
        >
        > If you have been around for a while, how have things been going? What
        > changes did you make that stuck, and what did you find difficult? Did
        > the Compact have a positive influence on your lifestyle? Your
        > pocketbook? Are you up for doing it through 2008?
        >
        > Juli

      • andieP33
        Message 3 of 11 , May 12, 2008
          Hey Everyone,

          I'm really excited to be joining the NYC compact as of last night.
          I've been a part of the nationwide compact forum since last summer,
          and it has had some really positive impacts on the way I view
          consumerism and sustainability. I have really enjoyed getting rid of
          clutter and unused objects, and found that many things have ended up
          with much more worthy homes/uses.

          I'm a 25-year old grad student, and by doing the compact for the last
          twelve months, I've been able to stop my spending and payoff the
          $8,000 of credit card debt I had previously been carrying.

          I think it is so important that our culture learns to conserve the
          resources we have, and also to learn the virtue on contentment, not
          through material objects, but through artistic and intellectual
          pursuits, as well as quality time with those close to us.

          Some recent developments in my compact commitment:

          1. I've been looking for a small desk for my apartment, so I can
          study at home and spend more time with my dog. As of this weekend, I
          found success by finding a free desk from a lovely gentleman on
          craigslist.

          2. Last year I fumbled a bit when it came to Christmas gifts for
          friends. While I gave my family gifts of "experiences" or "quality
          time" I felt awkward giving my friends used gifts or regifting. So
          I did sucumb and buy new. However, in one week I'll be acquiring a
          sweing machine from my mom and I'm going to be making them handbags
          from cool fabrics I find off clothes from Salvation Army, etc. I
          also plan on using this machine to help repurpose/tailor some of my
          older clothes that don't really fit but are still in nice condition.
          I will probably be soon posting on freecycle for sewing books wanted!

          3. As a vegetarian, I had been wanting to compost a lot of my
          green/brown food waste but I've been afraid of storing it because of
          the pests that live in my building. Yesterday, on the main
          compacting group I got the GREAT suggestion of freezing it until I
          can drop it off at a local garden. No, it won't decompose very well,
          but it also won't smell and won't end up as more waste in the
          garbage. Today I started by taking an old metal coffee tin and
          putting my coffee grinds, avocado skin and banana peel in.

          Looking forward to learning from you!

          Yours truly,
          Andrea
        • zwischenland
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 24, 2008
            We gained several new members today. If you are new, please post a
            little about yourself to the group! How did you find us?

            Juli
          • info911@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 24, 2008
              HI. Im Tamme. I live in Upstate NY. I am tired of my kids being overindulged with stuff they do not need and I am tired of spending money on 'nothing' that makes no difference in my life and will not matter in 10 years.  That's why I am here.  I found you through an article on the front page of AOL.  I hope that's enough LOL?

              A Blue Moon Investigation, Inc
              dba Information Resources
              PO Box 435
              Rosendale, NY 12472
              Phone: 845-338-9077
              Fax: 1-484-694-1514
              Fax: 845-853-1476
              www.Myspace.com/RosendaleRunner

            • zwischenland
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 24, 2008
                Thanks, and welcome! We are a pretty quiet group, but hopefully
                that'll change with more members :) Have a look around and feel free
                to ask questions- that's how conversations get started!

                Juli

                (http://www.myspace.com/RosendaleRunner)

              • info911@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 24, 2008
                  Thank you Juli !

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 24, 2008
                    Hi there-
                    I'm here on the northern tip of manhattan living in an apartment
                    building. A green committee has just been formed amongst the share
                    holders. Does anyone have any creative ideas for urbanites going
                    green? Unfortunately we don't have much land to garden but we have
                    started a compost system and are talking about installing clothes
                    lines in the back of the building. All ideas welcome. I agree with
                    Juli, let's get some discussions happening.
                    Michelle
                    On Jul 24, 2008, at 1:07 PM, zwischenland wrote:

                    > Thanks, and welcome! We are a pretty quiet group, but hopefully
                    > that'll change with more members :) Have a look around and feel free
                    > to ask questions- that's how conversations get started!
                    >
                    > Juli
                    >
                    > --- In thecompactnyc@yahoogroups.com, info911@... wrote:
                    >>
                    >> HI. Im Tamme. I live in Upstate NY. I am tired of my kids being
                    > overindulged
                    >> with stuff they do not need and I am tired of spending money
                    > on 'nothing'
                    >> that makes no difference in my life and will not matter in 10
                    > years. That's why
                    >> I am here. I found you through an article on the front page of
                    > AOL. I hope
                    >> that's enough LOL?
                    >>

                    >> A Blue Moon Investigation, Inc
                    >> dba Information Resources
                    >> PO Box 435
                    >> Rosendale, NY 12472
                    >> Phone: 845-338-9077
                    >> Fax: 1-484-694-1514
                    >> Fax: 845-853-1476
                    >> _www.Myspace.com/RosendaleRunner_
                    > (http://www.myspace.com/RosendaleRunner)
                    >>

                    >> **************Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up
                    > for
                    >> FanHouse Fantasy Football today.
                    >> (http://www.fanhouse.com/fantasyaffair?ncid=aolspr00050000000020)

                  • Sean Maley
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 24, 2008
                      I'm at "on the northern tip" of Manhattan, as well!  Last night, I met with about ten residents of Northern Manhattan (mostly Inwood, but also UWS, Harlem, and WaHi) regarding sustainable living.  We are a group of individuals having mostly taken a Permaculture Design Course (PDC).  We have big ideas, but will be moving forward slowly.

                      Sometimes we'll promote a foraging event, or just a potluck.  However, feel free to contact me if you wanted to be a part of our larger plans, participate in the design process, and just enjoy the support of others that "get" what's happening (culture of make believe: energy descent, climate change, mass extinction, die off, etc).  We meet in Inwood every other week (August 6th will be next meeting at 7PM).

                      I'm also promoting a PDC with Toby Hemenway and Larry Santoyo.  Toby is the author of the book "Gaia's Garden" and field director of the Permaculture Institute.  Larry Santoyo is Vice President of the Permaculture Institute.  Toby and Larry are widely regarded as two of the best Permaculture teachers in the USA, if not the world.  The registered students, so far, are from UK, Bermuda, Montana, Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, Chicago, Massachusetts, Connecticut, upstate, and NYC.  Having Toby and Larry teaching the same course (with Dave Jacke) was the attraction for several of these students.  Dave Jacke (author of Edible Forest Gardens) and Sharon Astyk (Casaubon’s Book) will each be around for a day.  Jason Godeski and Giulianna Lamanna (anthropik.com) will be present for the full two weeks.  There will also be several visiting Permaculture teachers from the Northeast.

                      http://green-phoenix.org/08-08-pdc.html

                      Our local group is free, if you just wanted to learn about Permaculture.  Plus, I have a monthly "meetup" (7pm August 5th at EarthMatters) that everyone is welcome to come find out what this concept is about.  The course is more for those intending to become designers, incorporate it into their livelihood, or become a Permaculture teacher.  In fact, the course will only be the beginning of a much longer process (apprenticing, etc).  The object is to become producers, not consumers, and to work with nature rather than against nature.

                      -Sean.
                      I'm here on the northern tip of manhattan living in an apartment
                      building. A green committee has just been formed amongst the share
                      holders. Does anyone have any creative ideas for urbanites going
                      green? Unfortunately we don't have much land to garden but we have
                      started a compost system and are talking about installing clothes
                      lines in the back of the building. All ideas welcome. I agree with
                      Juli, let's get some discussions happening.
                      Michelle
                      On Jul 24, 2008, at 1:07 PM, zwischenland wrote:

                      > Thanks, and welcome! We are a pretty quiet group, but hopefully
                      > that'll change with more members :) Have a look around and feel free
                      > to ask questions- that's how conversations get started!
                      >
                      > Juli
                      >
                      > --- In thecompactnyc@yahoogroups.com, info911@... wrote:
                      >>
                      >> HI. Im Tamme. I live in Upstate NY. I am tired of my kids being
                      > overindulged
                      >> with stuff they do not need and I am tired of spending money
                      > on 'nothing'
                      >> that makes no difference in my life and will not matter in 10
                      > years. That's why
                      >> I am here. I found you through an article on the front page of
                      > AOL. I hope
                      >> that's enough LOL?
                      >>

                      >> A Blue Moon Investigation, Inc
                      >> dba Information Resources