Contemplating a purchase

  • zwischenland
    Message 1 of 5 , May 6, 2007
      I want to buy an aluminum water bottle. What do you think?

      I've had the same plastic water bottle for almost 10 years. It gets a lot of use. It smells
      funny no matter how much I clean it and I am concerned about both bacteria and
      chemicals leeching from aged plastic. I am also in covet mode-- for one of these:

      http://www.mysigg.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=283

      Sleek Swiss design, insulated aluminum that won't smell funny or leech chemicals,
      reusable for as many years as I can manage to not lose it...

      Still, it is a newly manufactured THING. Not only that, but I'm salivating thinking of all the
      cool shops I can visit on my quest to purchase one in the city so as not to have one
      packaged and trucked to me. I haven't seen anything like this second hand, and besides,
      water bottles are pretty personal.

      Shall I allow it? Would you?
    • patrick keyes
      Message 2 of 5 , May 7, 2007
        sorry but of course not. there are plenty of plastic
        bottles one can repurpose. repurpose one a week and
        the smell factor should go away. they already exist on
        the planet. buying one new plastic bottle simply
        encourages manufacturers to manufacture another. i
        personally want to buy a pair of leather flip flops. i
        lost my job two weeks ago and so envision a summer of
        shorts and flip flops. am on the fence re: would
        appreciate your thoughts. thanks. p

        Never miss an email again!
      • zwischenland
        Message 3 of 5 , May 7, 2007
          "buying one new plastic bottle simply
          encourages manufacturers to manufacture another"

          Yes, but buying a new infinitely reusable aluminum bottle encourages manufacture of
          more reusable aluminum bottles. If lots more people had reusable aluminum bottles,
          there wouldn't be so many plastic bottles littering the street. I hate disposable plastic
          water bottles the same way I hate plastic shopping bags. They are ubiquitous, and hardly
          anyone bothers to recycle them. Reusing someone's discarded plastic bottle for a week
          would be admitting defeat-- I'd far rather show off a sleek Swiss aluminum bottle and
          inspire others to covet one, and in turn shun plastic.

          Re: sandals-- some decide that shoes are an exception to their Compact, in the same way
          as socks and underwear. If you decide to make an exception, you might try looking at
          Housing Works and other charity shops-- sometimes they have baskets of new sandals
          that have been cast off from sample sales, as well as second hand shoes.

          --- In thecompactnyc@yahoogroups.com, patrick keyes <keyespa@...> wrote:

          > sorry but of course not. there are plenty of plastic
          > bottles one can repurpose. repurpose one a week and
          > the smell factor should go away. they already exist on
          > the planet. buying one new plastic bottle simply
          > encourages manufacturers to manufacture another. i
          > personally want to buy a pair of leather flip flops. i
          > lost my job two weeks ago and so envision a summer of
          > shorts and flip flops. am on the fence re: would
          > appreciate your thoughts. thanks. p

          > Never miss an email again!

        • Sean Maley
          Message 4 of 5 , May 7, 2007
            Aluminum costs massive energy to pull the metal from the bauxite in the first place. Therefore, this response seems the best option. One bottle intercepted from the recycle pile wouldn't change the supply and demand equation. In fact, more plastic reused would increase demand for plastic to be recycled. The plastic leaching would be a matter of allowing proper algae to develop inside the bottle. Living water is better than dead water (assuming you don't allow it to go anaerobic, which your descriptions of smelling suggests happened). A healthful living culture will lock up the plastics leached. Put it in the sun and keep it well aerated (may require creativity).

            -Sean.

            sorry but of course not. there are plenty of plastic
            bottles one can repurpose. repurpose one a week and
            the smell factor should go away. they already exist on
            the planet. buying one new plastic bottle simply
            encourages manufacturers to manufacture another. i
            personally want to buy a pair of leather flip flops. i
            lost my job two weeks ago and so envision a summer of
            shorts and flip flops. am on the fence re: would
            appreciate your thoughts. thanks. p

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • zwischenland
            Message 5 of 5 , May 8, 2007
              Ah, I see I am not going to get a free pass on this :)

              But I may have a non-plastic solution-- my roommate has been bringing home kombucha
              (?) tea in attractively shaped glass bottles with screw tops. I will try repurposing one from
              the recycling bin for my water.

              Thank you both for the advice, perspective, and information.

              Juli