Citizens Against Fire-Safe Cigarettes

  • pwduke76
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2009
      I am a smoker and live in Kentucky where Fire-Safe Cigarettes went
      into effect several months ago. My family and I are all heavy
      smokers. Without any knowledge or warning we realized one day that
      our cigarettes kept going out while we were smoking them, followed by
      constant falling embers that burned our hands. Over the course of the
      next few weeks we began experiencing symptoms that include; sore
      throat, nausea, headaches, panic attacks, tightness in our chests,
      excessive coughing, metallic taste in mouth.

      After a trip to the local Emergency Room, I was diagnosed with Thrush
      and given a round of antibiotics. I completed the antibiotic regimen
      and still these symptoms prevailed. It was at this point we found out
      that FSC's had replaced our usual cigarettes. In an attempt to save
      ourselves from these consequences we started smoking non FSC's and
      all of our symptoms miraculously subsided. I live on the border to TN
      and it is just as close to drive there, as it is to the nearest town
      in Ky. Because I am able to do this, I know for a fact that it is the
      FSC's that indeed brought on my symptoms.

      Here is a link to a petition with 1,360 names thus far and growing of
      smokers who say that these FSC's are making them sick.

      http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/repeal-fire-safe-cigarette-laws

      The facts are that Harvard themselves said that more testing was
      needed on the effects these products will have on those who smoke
      them. In an attempt to keep from getting the implementation tied up
      in Congress, they have set out across the states to set a national
      standard a lot quicker. They do not seem to care that smokers are
      getting sick from these legislations.

      Here is a link to a blog Citizens Against Fire Safe Cigarettes
      http://cafsc.blogspot.com/ with some more information on the matter.

      Your group needs to be aware that this petition exists.When these
      symptoms hit smokers they will need to know they are not alone. If
      you are a smoker living in a "fire-safe" state, and experiencing any
      new side effects, I encourage you to sign the petition. Aside from
      writing your state representatives, this petition is currently the
      strongest source I am aware of to make our voice heard.

      Thank you for your time,

      Paul Duke