Meeting update

  • Colin Rigsby
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 2008
      Inspired by true events…

      Jerry had been thinking about it all day; when he would finally get home and have a few minutes to relax. His easy chair awaited him, along with his trusted briar friend filled full of a savored blend. Today was going to be a special day, because the special order he had placed with his local tobacconist had come in. It was a 4 oz order of Gawith and Hogarth Coconut rope. Jerry, always a fan of the flake and plug, was chomping at the bit to try this new blend he had read so much about.

      Rushing in the front door, Jerry decided to forgo the usual evening meal and went straight for the comfort of his chair and pipe. He opened the bag and inspected the contents, noting the dark oily rope with the light but slightly musty odor. His pulse quickened as he took his cigar cutter, sliced off a few thick coins and placed them carefully in a large rusticated Ser Jacapo billiard, one of his favorite pipes for Virginia based blends. Soon, a match was struck and the smoke lifted, gently it stretched past his nostrils towards the ceiling. “Wow”, he thought after the first few puffs. “This is great! A robust Virginia flavor with another component I can’t quite put my finger on, and just enough coconut to make the room note agreeable”. Jerry settled back in the large padded chair and began to unwind, looking forward to the night’s lack of schedule. Tonight would be his night to enjoy, and his eyes began to get heavy...

      A few minutes passed, and Jerry began to detect an unusual odor in the room. Feeling totally subdued, he did not give it much thought, at first. As the smell intensified though, Jerry began to wonder if something was wrong. Janet, his wife, had come home just a few minutes before and was in the kitchen, but surely she was not cooking something at this late hour. Then, out of nowhere, a strange sensation overtook his senses. It was like the smell of a hot iron on a cotton shirt, but heavier mixed with the rank odor of burning hair. Something then caught Jerry’s eye; he looked down to see his favorite shirt, which he was wearing, on fire. A hole, about the size of a half dollar, had burned it way through and reached his chest hair. But for some reason, when Jerry tried to moved, everything was in slow motion. Tried as he might, Jerry could not get up. As he forced himself from the chair, his head began to spin. The room began to tumble over and over and Jerry began to loose his balance. Just then, Janet came rushing in to see what was the matter. Through the dense smoke filled room she realized not only was Jerry’s shirt blaze, but so was the issue of P&T Jerry had received a few days prior, that had been laying on his lap.

      With help from Janet, Jerry finally got the situation under control. Though Jerry and his pipe survived, the shirt, chest hair and the issue of P&T could not be salvaged. And there would be a permanent scorch mark left on the arm of his easy chair. Jerry did consider himself lucky though and learned valuable lessons from his experience:

      Never smoke a heavy nicotine blend on an empty stomach and when in doubt, always try new potentially strong blends with a group of friends, like The Briar Club.

      Next meeting:

      Tuesday Sept. 16

      7:00 pm

      Up In Smoke, Lewisville, Texas

      Topics:

      Updates on the clay pipe order and the possible Christmas party

      By Request: a pipe cleaning seminar

      The mystery blend

      The raffle

      Hope to see you there.

      Colin

      www.shurewoodbriarpipes.com

    • Colin Rigsby
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 15, 2008
        Ladies and Gents -
        Update to the update:

        I have specifics concerning the possible Christmas party at the Fox
        and Hound. If you cannot make the meeting tomorrow and are interested
        in attending the party, let me know by email - I have to get a head
        count to accuratly figure the cost per person (again, everyone will
        be responsible for their own food/bar tabs).

        I was reminded recently that this meeting will mark our official
        1 year anniversary as a group! Be thinking about next year; do we
        want to change anything about membership, attendance, etc.?
        Do we want to "reward" those who make every meeting?
        Do we want to take a membership fee to be used for a year end
        Christmas part next year? (these are things other clubs do)
        Please understand, things are fine the way they are, but if any of
        you have concerns or suggestions, please bring them to the meeting.

        One last thing - Gary is going to launch our next "monthly tradition"
        by bringing some of his pipe related collectables to this meeting. As
        discussed at the last meeting, one person a month will bring items
        from his or her pipe related collections for show and tell. Thses
        items can include pipes, advertising items, old tins and packaging,
        antique pipes, antique and unusual pipe furniture, etc. I for one am
        interested in these kinds of items and look forward to seeing Gary's
        items tomorrow night.

        Cheers! - Colin

        --- In thebriarclub@yahoogroups.com, "Colin Rigsby"