Re: Colin Rigsby takes home bottom prize in Waco Pipe Smoking Contest

  • mpete5220
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11, 2008
      Geez Colin, it probably took you longer to load your pipe than it
      did to flunk out of the contest. Were some of the Waco guys blowing
      out your matches or what??

      --- In thebriarclub@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Fallon" <stbjfallon@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello Gang,
      >
      > I just wanted to let all of you know that your fearless President,
      > Colin Rigsby, was kind enough to join the Waco Pipe Club's 8th
      > Annual Slow Smoking Contest on Tuesday, July 29th. Our club's
      > monthly newsletter is copied below and I'll let you be the judge
      as
      > to whether Colin represented The Briar Club with distinction.
      >
      > Colin, you were a great sport, pardner!
      >
      > Steve Fallon
      > President
      > Waco Pipe Club
      >

      > VOLUME IX
      >
      > Number 8
      >
      > THE REAMER
      >
      > WPC NEWSLETTER
      >
      > August 1, 2008
      >
      > Greetings everyone! The Waco Pipe Club's 8th Annual Slow Smoking
      > Contest was a lot of fun. We had 19 members in attendance at our
      > monthly meeting last night, including a couple of bright new
      faces.
      > Of that number, a dozen chose to slug it out in the Slow Smoking
      > Contest (see results below). The competition blend (10 year old
      > Kentucky Club Continental Blend), was donated by Roy Irby. It was
      > very bitey and smoked hot and wet. When I told everyone that Gabby
      > is the one who donated the blend for our contest, he received just
      > horrible round of boos from the unappreciative crowd of tongue
      > blistered puffers! An interesting note about Roy Irby; in our 8
      > years of holding these slow smoke contests, he has won one time
      and
      > finished second on four other occasions! Our defending champion,
      > Marcial Lewin, was not able to defend his crown as he is presently
      > visiting relatives in his native country, Chile.
      >
      > Congratulations to Ed "Leather Tongue" Smith, who destroyed the
      > competition and took home the top prize of a beautifully
      handcrafted
      > Lovat shaped pipe that was made and donated by Ron Fairchild (one
      of
      > the world's top pipe makers). As many of you know, Ron attends our
      > meetings 3-4 times a year and it is always a pleasure to have him
      > with us. Colin Rigsby, pipe maker and president of the Lewisville,
      > Texas Pipe Club was also at the meeting and earned the dubious
      > distinction of being "First Out" in our contest. He took home the
      > prize of the remainder of the unsmoked Kentucky Club competition
      > blend. Condolences to Colin!
      >
      > Mike Penix gets a round of kudos for again providing some terrific
      > items for our prizes. In fact, he had so much stuff that all 12
      > competitors took home a gift for their bravery.
      >
      > Our next WPC Meeting is Tuesday, August 26th at 6:00 pm…. As
      always,
      > we will meet in the upstairs smoking lounge at Poppa Rollo's. Hope
> [...]
    • Colin Rigsby
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2008
        it was a conspiracy against the "Dallas" guy...

        Colin Rigsby
        ShureWood Briar Pipes
        www.shurewoodbriarpipes.com