MEETING REMINDER

  • Colin Rigsby
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 14, 2008
      Fellow Pipe enthusiast's,

      The next meeting is set for Tomorrow, Tuesday 4/14 at 7:00 pm - Up In
      Smoke Lewisville.

      The meeting topic will be a "mystery" tobacco tasting. Everyone
      wanting to participate is asked to bring a group 4 size (average
      sized) pipe and $1 to offset the cost of the tin. The idea is to
      better our skills in tobacco tasting and try something new! Only I
      know the blend. What I will tell you is that it is a few years old
      and hopefully something that most of you have not had, including
      myself. The blend name and contents will be revealed after we have
      smoked and discussed.

      As usual, there will be a raffle for anyone who wants to participate -
      we collected limited funds last time but I was able to score us some
      unusual blends to try and win. Keep in mind that any money collected
      at the raffle will go right back into next month's raffle - I will be
      going to Chicago so I hope to be able to pick us up some more unusual
      goodies!

      Hope to see you all there -

      Colin
      www.shurewoodbriarpipes.com
    • mpete5220
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 14, 2008
        --- In thebriarclub@yahoogroups.com, "Colin Rigsby"
        <shurewoodbriarpipes@...> wrote:

        > Fellow Pipe enthusiast's,
        >
        > The next meeting is set for Tomorrow, Tuesday 4/14 at 7:00 pm - Up
        In
        > Smoke Lewisville.
        >
        > The meeting topic will be a "mystery" tobacco tasting. Everyone
        > wanting to participate is asked to bring a group 4 size (average
        > sized) pipe and $1 to offset the cost of the tin. The idea is to
        > better our skills in tobacco tasting and try something new! Only I
        > know the blend. What I will tell you is that it is a few years old
        > and hopefully something that most of you have not had, including
        > myself. The blend name and contents will be revealed after we have
        > smoked and discussed.
        >
        > As usual, there will be a raffle for anyone who wants to
        participate -
        > we collected limited funds last time but I was able to score us
        some
        > unusual blends to try and win. Keep in mind that any money
        collected
        > at the raffle will go right back into next month's raffle - I will
        be
        > going to Chicago so I hope to be able to pick us up some more
        unusual
        > goodies!
        >
        > Hope to see you all there -
        >
        > Colin
        > www.shurewoodbriarpipes.com

        I think you mean 4/15/08. Smoking some Haddo's today Collin? :)
      • Colin Rigsby
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 15, 2008
          YES - today the 15th - the high nicotene levels are effecting my.....
          what was I saying?

          --- In thebriarclub@yahoogroups.com, "mpete5220" <mpetersen@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In thebriarclub@yahoogroups.com, "Colin Rigsby"
          > <shurewoodbriarpipes@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Fellow Pipe enthusiast's,
          > >
          > > The next meeting is set for Tomorrow, Tuesday 4/14 at 7:00 pm -
          Up
          > In
          > > Smoke Lewisville.
          > >
          > > The meeting topic will be a "mystery" tobacco tasting. Everyone
          > > wanting to participate is asked to bring a group 4 size (average
          > > sized) pipe and $1 to offset the cost of the tin. The idea is to
          > > better our skills in tobacco tasting and try something new! Only
          > > know the blend. What I will tell you is that it is a few years
          old
          > > and hopefully something that most of you have not had, including
          > > myself. The blend name and contents will be revealed after we
          have
          > > smoked and discussed.
          > >
          > > As usual, there will be a raffle for anyone who wants to
          > participate -
          > > we collected limited funds last time but I was able to score us
          > some
          > > unusual blends to try and win. Keep in mind that any money
          > collected
          > > at the raffle will go right back into next month's raffle - I
          will
          > be
          > > going to Chicago so I hope to be able to pick us up some more
          > unusual
          > > goodies!
          > >
          > > Hope to see you all there -
          > >
          > > Colin
          > > www.shurewoodbriarpipes.com
          > >
          > I think you mean 4/15/08. Smoking some Haddo's today Collin? :)

        • Crigs
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 13, 2009
            TUESDAY 10/20, 7:00 PM UP IN SMOKE LEWISVILLE:

            THRILLS!
            SPILLS!
            CHILLS!

            I have some great items up for grabs in the raffle this month - bring your extra $!

            We will have a VA CORPS pipe show report from Bob and yours truly, as well as the official announcment of the 2009 Briar Club Christmas Party.

            See you there!

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 12, 2011
              Group,

              NEXT Tuesday 9/20 is our next meeting and it will be held at the regular location, Up In Smoke Lewisville, 7-9 pm. Miles reports that all is well with the store's smoke eater and that things are back to normal.

              Trying to get back to the days when we actually had a meeting theme; Lets start off easy this time and have a Corn Cob meeting, as suggested by one of you at the last meeting. Bring you favorite cobs - smoking ones, not the ones out behind the outhouse please.

              We will have some good blends to try as usual...

              Feel free to offer suggestions for future meetings. November is our annual Clay Pipe night and December is the Chrsitmas party of course. We still need an event for October.

              Other items we need to discuss at the next meeting:

              Club BBQ?

              Next year's club pipe? We discussed getting another Kaywoodie made. If we still want to do that, we need to decide on a shape, etc. If we can come up with some ideas, I can talk to Bill from Kaywoodie at the Virginia show in a few weeks and work out the details.

              We should maybe think about taking a club day trip somewhere, since the weather is getting tollerable. Maybe down to Houston to visit a couple of the pipe shops or ???? Any ideas?

              See you at the meeting,

              Colin
            • Timmy
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 12, 2011
                If we go to Houston, I for one would like to visit Ron Fairchild. After all he did come up and visit our club meeting. However no heart attacks are allowed.

                Timmy having a pipe attack.

                --- In thebriarclub@yahoogroups.com, "Colin Rigsby" <swpipes@...> wrote:

                > Group,
                >
                > NEXT Tuesday 9/20 is our next meeting and it will be held at the regular location, Up In Smoke Lewisville, 7-9 pm. Miles reports that all is well with the store's smoke eater and that things are back to normal.
                >
                > Trying to get back to the days when we actually had a meeting theme; Lets start off easy this time and have a Corn Cob meeting, as suggested by one of you at the last meeting. Bring you favorite cobs - smoking ones, not the ones out behind the outhouse please.
                >
                > We will have some good blends to try as usual...
                >
                > Feel free to offer suggestions for future meetings. November is our annual Clay Pipe night and December is the Chrsitmas party of course. We still need an event for October.
                >
                > Other items we need to discuss at the next meeting:
                >
                > Club BBQ?
                >
                > Next year's club pipe? We discussed getting another Kaywoodie made. If we still want to do that, we need to decide on a shape, etc. If we can come up with some ideas, I can talk to Bill from Kaywoodie at the Virginia show in a few weeks and work out the details.
                >
                > We should maybe think about taking a club day trip somewhere, since the weather is getting tollerable. Maybe down to Houston to visit a couple of the pipe shops or ???? Any ideas?
                >
                > See you at the meeting,
                >
                > Colin

              • Colin Rigsby
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 12, 2011
                  Yeah, I was thinkling that might be a good stop.

                  I thought of Houston though because:
                  A - it's within a day's driving distance round trip - not a hard drive.
                  B - there is a cool pipe shop there. http://www.briarshoppe.com/
                  C - Ron's workshop.

                  I think this type of thing would be a fun outing for the group and give us all a chance to unwind and get to know each other better - in a totally platonic way or course... ;-)

                  Transportation - does anyone have an SUV? If we rent a van, we won't be able to smoke in it and it will cost us big $$. The guys that go can pay for gas, etc.

                  Any thoughts or comments? I know Gary will have something clever to say.

                  Crigs

                  If we go to Houston, I for one would like to visit Ron Fairchild. After all he did come up and visit our club meeting. However no heart attacks are allowed.

                  Timmy having a pipe attack.

                  --- In thebriarclub@yahoogroups.com, "Colin Rigsby" <swpipes@...> wrote:

                  > Group,
                  >
                  > NEXT Tuesday 9/20 is our next meeting and it will be held at the regular location, Up In Smoke Lewisville, 7-9 pm. Miles reports that all is well with the store's smoke eater and that things are back to normal.
                  >
                  > Trying to get back to the days when we actually had a meeting theme; Lets start off easy this time and have a Corn Cob meeting, as suggested by one of you at the last meeting. Bring you favorite cobs - smoking ones, not the ones out behind the outhouse please.
                  >
                  > We will have some good blends to try as usual...
                  >
                  > Feel free to offer suggestions for future meetings. November is our annual Clay Pipe night and December is the Chrsitmas party of course. We still need an event for October.
                  >
                  > Other items we need to discuss at the next meeting:
                  >
                  > Club BBQ?
                  >
                  > Next year's club pipe? We discussed getting another Kaywoodie made. If we still want to do that, we need to decide on a shape, etc. If we can come up with some ideas, I can talk to Bill from Kaywoodie at the Virginia show in a few weeks and work out the details.
                  >
                  > We should maybe think about taking a club day trip somewhere, since the weather is getting tollerable. Maybe down to Houston to visit a couple of the pipe shops or ???? Any ideas?
                  >
                  > See you at the meeting,
                  >
                  > Colin

                • Bob Gilbert
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 12, 2011
                    Any thoughts or comments? I know Gary will have something clever to say.

                    And Gary's thoughts should effect me how??? I'm in by the way. bob

                    "Life is a shock, always full of horror and beauty". Kate Ridenour Feb '09

                    If we go to Houston, I for one would like to visit Ron Fairchild. After all he did come up and visit our club meeting. However no heart attacks are allowed.

                    Timmy having a pipe attack.

                    --- In thebriarclub@yahoogroups.com, "Colin Rigsby" <swpipes@...> wrote:

                    > Group,
                    >
                    > NEXT Tuesday 9/20 is our next meeting and it will be held at the regular location, Up In Smoke Lewisville, 7-9 pm. Miles reports that all is well with the store's smoke eater and that things are back to normal.
                    >
                    > Trying to get back to the days when we actually had a meeting theme; Lets start off easy this time and have a Corn Cob meeting, as suggested by one of you at the last meeting. Bring you favorite cobs - smoking ones, not the ones out behind the outhouse please.
                    >
                    > We will have some good blends to try as usual...
                    >
                    > Feel free to offer suggestions for future meetings. November is our annual Clay Pipe night and December is the Chrsitmas party of course. We still need an event for October.
                    >
                    > Other items we need to discuss at the next meeting:
                    >
                    > Club BBQ?
                    >
                    > Next year's club pipe? We discussed getting another Kaywoodie made. If we still want to do that, we need to decide on a shape, etc. If we can come up with some ideas, I can talk to Bill from Kaywoodie at the Virginia show in a few weeks and work out the details.
                    >
                    > We should maybe think about taking a club day trip somewhere, since the weather is getting tollerable. Maybe down to Houston to visit a couple of the pipe shops or ???? Any ideas?
                    >
                    > See you at the meeting,
                    >
                    > Colin

                  • Peel Chris
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 12, 2011
                      Sounds very cool.  I'm guessing this is a weekend venture?  I might be able to swing it but the baby is due in 6 weeks so we'll have to see.  Scored a coup today.  My uncle gave me all of his pipes today.  He hasn't smoked his in quite a few years.  There are about 10 or so different Savinelli's a Peterson and a Ben Wade.  Any tips on cleaning them up would be cool.  I dig the "pipe theme" idea, sounds fun.

                      chris

                    • swpipes@att.net
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 12, 2011
                        Very cool! Bring them to the next meeting and we will discuss cleaning!

                        Colin

                        On Sep 12, 2011, at 7:49 PM, Peel Chris wrote:

                        Sounds very cool.  I'm guessing this is a weekend venture?  I might be able to swing it but the baby is due in 6 weeks so we'll have to see.  Scored a coup today.  My uncle gave me all of his pipes today.  He hasn't smoked his in quite a few years.  There are about 10 or so different Savinelli's a Peterson and a Ben Wade.  Any tips on cleaning them up would be cool.  I dig the "pipe theme" idea, sounds fun.

                        chris

                        Any thoughts or comments? I know Gary will have something clever to say.

                        And Gary's thoughts should effect me how??? I'm in by the way. bob

                        "Life is a shock, always full of horror and beauty". Kate Ridenour Feb '09

                        If we go to Houston, I for one would like to visit Ron Fairchild. After all he did come up and visit our club meeting. However no heart attacks are allowed.

                        Timmy having a pipe attack.

                        --- In thebriarclub@yahoogroups.com, "Colin Rigsby" <swpipes@...> wrote:

                        > Group,
                        >
                        > NEXT Tuesday 9/20 is our next meeting and it will be held at the regular location, Up In Smoke Lewisville, 7-9 pm. Miles reports that all is well with the store's smoke eater and that things are back to normal.
                        >
                        > Trying to get back to the days when we actually had a meeting theme; Lets start off easy this time and have a Corn Cob meeting, as suggested by one of you at the last meeting. Bring you favorite cobs - smoking ones, not the ones out behind the outhouse please.
                        >
                        > We will have some good blends to try as usual...
                        >
                        > Feel free to offer suggestions for future meetings. November is our annual Clay Pipe night and December is the Chrsitmas party of course. We still need an event for October.
                        >
                        > Other items we need to discuss at the next meeting:
                        >
                        > Club BBQ?
                        >
                        > Next year's club pipe? We discussed getting another Kaywoodie made. If we still want to do that, we need to decide on a shape, etc. If we can come up with some ideas, I can talk to Bill from Kaywoodie at the Virginia show in a few weeks and work out the details.
                        >
                        > We should maybe think about taking a club day trip somewhere, since the weather is getting tollerable. Maybe down to Houston to visit a couple of the pipe shops or ???? Any ideas?
                        >
                        > See you at the meeting,
                        >
                        > Colin

                      • Peel Chris
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 12, 2011
                          You got it, I'll bring them next week.  Upon closer inspection a majority of them say " Up In Smoke Savinelli Product"  any idea about that?

                          Chris

                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 12, 2011
                            Up In Smoke used to buy store branded pipes from Savinelli.

                            They, as well as many other production pipe companies, have made store pipes for various tobacconists.

                            I think Timmy is going to do a talk about the salt/alcohol cleaning at the next meeting.

                            Colin

[...]

                          • Gary Carpenter
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 13, 2011
                              Gary's Thoughts are on the corn cob, harvest night, pre trick or treat night he came up with silly boy... I'm coming with a stove top hat and anything else i can think of not for laughs but for the meeting theme.Someting that looks pre Harvest anticipation as a get together in  colonial days of the codgers and their corn cobs with a little o Susanah on the harmonica while Gilbert dances a jig. If we had a back lot we could build a bon fire and cook marshmallos, instead we will plan for the B.B.Q.that will be in the cool brisk evening with the Autumn moon shining with the glow of the embers a lit in the sounds of the silent night of the harvest moon light...
                               For all drunks coming from the denton area a designated driver would be in order....... swpipes@... <swpipes@...>
                              To: thebriarclub@yahoogroups.com

[...]

                            • Gregg Wright
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 16, 2011
                                Big fun, I think. Count me in.

                                My Tahoe can carry five smokers in standard configuration and seven with the jump seats installed aft.

                                GW

                                If we go to Houston, I for one would like to visit Ron Fairchild. After all he did come up and visit our club meeting. However no heart attacks are allowed.

                                Timmy having a pipe attack.

                                --- In thebriarclub@yahoogroups.com, "Colin Rigsby" <swpipes@...> wrote:

                                > Group,
                                >
                                > NEXT Tuesday 9/20 is our next meeting and it will be held at the regular location, Up In Smoke Lewisville, 7-9 pm. Miles reports that all is well with the store's smoke eater and that things are back to normal.
                                >
                                > Trying to get back to the days when we actually had a meeting theme; Lets start off easy this time and have a Corn Cob meeting, as suggested by one of you at the last meeting. Bring you favorite cobs - smoking ones, not the ones out behind the outhouse please.
                                >
                                > We will have some good blends to try as usual...
                                >
                                > Feel free to offer suggestions for future meetings. November is our annual Clay Pipe night and December is the Chrsitmas party of course. We still need an event for October.
                                >
                                > Other items we need to discuss at the next meeting:
                                >
                                > Club BBQ?
                                >
                                > Next year's club pipe? We discussed getting another Kaywoodie made. If we still want to do that, we need to decide on a shape, etc. If we can come up with some ideas, I can talk to Bill from Kaywoodie at the Virginia show in a few weeks and work out the details.
                                >
                                > We should maybe think about taking a club day trip somewhere, since the weather is getting tollerable. Maybe down to Houston to visit a couple of the pipe shops or ???? Any ideas?
                                >
                                > See you at the meeting,
                                >
                                > Colin

                              • Colin Rigsby
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 16, 2011
                                  sounds like we may have a ride....

                                  Crigs

                                  My Tahoe can carry five smokers in standard configuration and seven with the jump seats installed aft.

                                  GW

                                  If we go to Houston, I for one would like to visit Ron Fairchild. After all he did come up and visit our club meeting. However no heart attacks are allowed.

                                  Timmy having a pipe attack.

                                  --- In thebriarclub@yahoogroups.com, "Colin Rigsby" <swpipes@...> wrote:

                                  > Group,
                                  >
                                  > NEXT Tuesday 9/20 is our next meeting and it will be held at the regular location, Up In Smoke Lewisville, 7-9 pm. Miles reports that all is well with the store's smoke eater and that things are back to normal.
                                  >
                                  > Trying to get back to the days when we actually had a meeting theme; Lets start off easy this time and have a Corn Cob meeting, as suggested by one of you at the last meeting. Bring you favorite cobs - smoking ones, not the ones out behind the outhouse please.
                                  >
                                  > We will have some good blends to try as usual...
                                  >
                                  > Feel free to offer suggestions for future meetings. November is our annual Clay Pipe night and December is the Chrsitmas party of course. We still need an event for October.
                                  >
                                  > Other items we need to discuss at the next meeting:
                                  >
                                  > Club BBQ?
                                  >
                                  > Next year's club pipe? We discussed getting another Kaywoodie made. If we still want to do that, we need to decide on a shape, etc. If we can come up with some ideas, I can talk to Bill from Kaywoodie at the Virginia show in a few weeks and work out the details.
                                  >
                                  > We should maybe think about taking a club day trip somewhere, since the weather is getting tollerable. Maybe down to Houston to visit a couple of the pipe shops or ???? Any ideas?
                                  >
                                  > See you at the meeting,
                                  >
                                  > Colin

                                • Colin Rigsby
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 19, 2011
                                    Gang,

                                    Tomorrow - 7:00 - be there or be...?

                                    Bring yer cobs.

                                    - Crigs

                                    --- In thebriarclub@yahoogroups.com, "Colin Rigsby" <swpipes@...> wrote:

                                    > Group,
                                    >
                                    > NEXT Tuesday 9/20 is our next meeting and it will be held at the regular location, Up In Smoke Lewisville, 7-9 pm. Miles reports that all is well with the store's smoke eater and that things are back to normal.
                                    >
                                    > Trying to get back to the days when we actually had a meeting theme; Lets start off easy this time and have a Corn Cob meeting, as suggested by one of you at the last meeting. Bring you favorite cobs - smoking ones, not the ones out behind the outhouse please.
                                    >
                                    > We will have some good blends to try as usual...
                                    >
                                    > Feel free to offer suggestions for future meetings. November is our annual Clay Pipe night and December is the Chrsitmas party of course. We still need an event for October.
                                    >
                                    > Other items we need to discuss at the next meeting:
                                    >
                                    > Club BBQ?
                                    >
                                    > Next year's club pipe? We discussed getting another Kaywoodie made. If we still want to do that, we need to decide on a shape, etc. If we can come up with some ideas, I can talk to Bill from Kaywoodie at the Virginia show in a few weeks and work out the details.
                                    >
                                    > We should maybe think about taking a club day trip somewhere, since the weather is getting tollerable. Maybe down to Houston to visit a couple of the pipe shops or ???? Any ideas?
                                    >
                                    > See you at the meeting,
                                    >
                                    > Colin

                                  • Colin Rigsby
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 10, 2012
                                      Next meeting: This coming TUES 5/15
                                      Up In Smoke Lewisville, 7:00 pm.

                                      BIG raffle this time:
                                      Timmy's Tobak
                                      Chicago tobak finds

                                      Bring your greenbacks! All proceeds to support our club, per Timmy's request.

                                      Also -
                                      Chicago show report.....

                                      See you then.

                                      Colin