Re: [thebriarclub] a new year

  • Sami Mikhail
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2013
      Great poem  Gary

      From: Gary Carpenter <zzcarp53@...>
      To: "thebriarclub@yahoogroups.com" <thebriarclub@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, December 31, 2012 7:48 PM
      Subject: [thebriarclub] a new year

      a year ago i wanted to send this but was so busy i didn't.  i'm more busy this year and don't have the use of my old computer,but i'm at the retirement home on theirs.
      i have had this in my back pocket for a year, in fact there hasn't been a time you saw me that it wasn't in my back pocket. it has been with me everyday for a year so here goes...

      my glass is filled, my pipe is lit,
      my den is all a cozy glow;
      and snug before the fire i sit,
      and wait to feel the old year go.
      i dedicate to solemn thought
      amid my too-unthinking days,
      this sober moment, sadly fraught
      with much of blame, with little praise.
      and so from face to face i flit,
      the countless eyes that stare and stare;
      some are with approbation lit,
      and some are shadowed with despair.
      some show a smile and some a frown;
      some joy and hope, some pain and woe:
      enough! oh, ring the curtain down!
      old weary year! its time to go.
      my pipe is out, my glass is dry;
      my fire is almost ashes too;
      but once again, before you go,
      and i prepare to meet the new:
      old year! a parting word thats true,
      for we've been comrades, you and i-
      i thank god for each day of you;
      there! bless you now! old year, a good-bye!

      gary c.

    • Gary Carpenter
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2013
        and sami,  thats why i kept it with me each day for a year, and you just made it worth it to me
        for doing so...    thank you,

        merry Christmas, and happy new year...       gary carpenter...

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2014
          i am at same place i was a year ago in all these ways in fact the poem is still in my back pocket and has been every time any of you have seen me in 2 ,or 3 years ..it was at all the meetings , at the b.b.q. christmas partys etc.  as long as i have had my pants on its  been there so here goes again ... enjoy it, its there even now.

          harriet...  jan.-1-2014   nostalgia.   cry if you must...

          sincerely,  harriet...

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 31, 2014

            here it is again,

            everything the same, even its still with me everyday in my back pocket...

            and again cry if you must

          • zzcarp53
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 31, 2014
            • zzcarp53