Re: [thebriarclub] remarkable smoke

  • Gary Carpenter
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1 4:09 AM
      how long ago was old days?

      From: "swpipes@..." <swpipes@...>
      To: thebriarclub@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2012 11:12 PM
      Subject: [thebriarclub] remarkable smoke

      Fellow pipers,

      I just have to mention a rather remarkable tobacco I have just discovered; Smoker's Haven Exotique.

      This blend has been around for quite a number of years. In days of old, I believe it was produced for Smoker's Haven in Ohio  by the Sobranie Co - great roots (I believe this to be true from what I have read, but not 100% confirmed). These days, it is produced for them by Germain (still great pedigree). Feel free to correct me on any of this....

      It is a blend like many others, yet totally unique. Possibly one, of if not the heaviest of English/oriental blends I have ever smoked. Not heavy in Latakia and certainly not heavy in Vitamin N, but a heavy bouquet of evolving flavors. It in a way reminds me of the fireworks display I watched from my back porch this evening; exploding and changing color with small spurts of rest in between. Ok, enough of the ad copy.....

      I first loaded the bowls and drew through the unlit bowls - what flavor already! In fact, the can spews forth a great scent from the minute it is opened - hit you in the face English. The cut is fine shag - I think the cut may have something to do with the flavor; I think I might try rubbing out other tobak blends/flakes more than I usually do....

      I have smoked in now in several bowls - large, small, medium - old and newer briar - all with similar results, but the medium and larger bowls winning with added pleasure. These chambers allow the Va's to properly evolve in the fire. The Latakia is there, but more in can note than in taste. The latakia taste is most prominent at first, then it fades to the orientals - what orientals they are.... the Va's create a meaty base for all to rest on. Half way down, the Va's take over and almost give a sweet chocolate aroma - just fantastic. By the end of the bowl it is almost like sweet chestnuts - all without any indication of any topping or casing - just great tobak. A very full and heavy smoke without the killer N head. You instantly want another bowl.....

      The ONLY issue I have has is a bit of moisture, and I think that is mostly me as I always tend to be a wet smoker.

      So I ask, why in the world am I just now discovering this amazing leaf?

      Crigs

    • swpipes@att.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1 5:27 PM
        Not sure exactly how long ago it originally was introduced.

        how long ago was old days?

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1 11:08 PM
          can i get a bowlful someday.
          since i don't have time cause of all the stuff over here, if i can iwill get it out of your mailbox are on your door
          this week someday, just 1 bowlful will be enough to try it.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2 6:43 AM
            I will bring it to the next meeting....

[...]

            ll bring it tot he next n
          • Gary Carpenter