Re: koroshiya-ichi

  • Patrick Brennan Clawson <gohan2342@hotma
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 8, 2003
      So I accidently bought a bootleg version of Ichi the Killer on ebay
      that was uncut and mostly translated, but there are parts that are
      untranslated which is kind of annoying. I was wondering if there is
      anyone who has seen the fully translated version who could tell me
      what the dialogue is in the scene where we are first introduced to
      Kakihara and he is talking to the tottering old yakuza boss. It
      doesn't seem essential to the plot, but it has been bugging me for a
      while.

      --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "Just ask <psylent_life@y...>"
      <psylent_life@y...> wrote:
      > --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, steve matis <istvanmatis@y...>
      > >
      > on a more bore-related subject - Takashi Miike's
      > > > 'ichi the killer' has apparently been granted a UK certificate
      >
      > It has but the film will undergo three minutes worth of cuts.
      >
      > > hmmm, i live in texas and i got a sealed official
      > > uncut, regionless, english translated dvd of the film
      > > ("ichi the killer") for $20.
      >
      > Nope, it's not official. Here's the list of official releases
      > currently out.
      >
      > Japan: Region-coded and without English subs. Uncut. NTSC format.
      > Hong Kong: Region-coded and with English subs. Heavily cut. NTSC
      > format. VCD also available but it's also cut.
      > Holland: Region-coded and with English subs. Uncut. (The running
      > time is short but this is due to the NTSC -> PAL conversion.) PAL
      > format. Rental version already out and retail version coming in
      January.
      > U.K.: No DVD announcement yet, but as mentioned above, any release
      > will be heavily cut. PAL format.
      >
      > In short, there's no official, uncut version with English subs
      except
      > the Dutch disc.
      >
      > > it should be incredibly easy to get on ebay for super
      > > super cheap.
      >
      > True, but again, it's a bootlegs. There's two versions: one with
      subs
      > ripped from the Hong Kong DVD (i.e., certain dialogue is unsubbed)
      and
      > one using a fan-made script of the entire movie. The latter is part
      > of the reason said fan no longer publicly distibutes his scripts.
      > Pirates have taken several of them and used them on their bootlegs,
      > mostly Miike's other works but several others too.
      >
      > As a side note, when it comes to Asian movies, eBay is essentially a
      > wasteland filled with bootlegs. Sure, some are legit, but many are
      > indeed bootlegs. If it doesn't have region-coding, that's usually a
      > tell-tale sign (especially for Japanese movies) except for certain
      > Hong Kong discs. I'm not going to lecture anyone on bootlegs and
      > whatnot. I just want to let everyone know since a lot of people are
      > duped into thinking they have official products.
    • steve matis
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 8, 2003
        > who
        > could tell me
        > what the dialogue is in the scene where we are first
        > introduced to
        > Kakihara and he is talking to the tottering old
        > yakuza boss. It
        > doesn't seem essential to the plot, but it has been
        > bugging me for a
        > while.

        that scene, if it is in the beginning with the shot of
        kakihara blowing smoke out of his cheeks, is just the
        gang talking about where anjo went with the money. one
        of the guys thinks he ran off with one of the girls
        while the other thinks he is dead and another gang was
        responsible for his murder. they argue about that
        before the next scene where they meet jiji (the small
        guy in the big jacket) and he informs that he hear it
        was a guy named suzuki from the other gang. i THINK
        this the scene you are talking about. its BEFORE the
        1st torture scene.

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com