Re: beefheart...hanatarash...

  • ghobsonuk <gavin@theebillychildish.com>
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 10, 2002
      --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, pak <jpaknichols@y...> wrote:
      > i hear that the reunited magic band is going to play
      > this year's all tomorrow's parties...the one hosted by
      > matt groening, creator of "the simpsons" and "life is
      > hell"...

      Also playing the Sheperds Bush Empire in London.

      Gavin.
    • wingsoftoast <wingsoftoast@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 10, 2002
        where's this magic band rumour come from??? i can only assume it
        means that they're appearing without the captain????
        Beefheart is really special - probably the only guy who comes close
        in my book is Mark E Smith -
        i've been waiting for a cd reissue of 'lick my decals' for donkey's
        years

        on the subject of composers again - my favourite Messiaen piece is
        the 'vingt regards pour l'enfant jesus' - i like bits of Iannis
        Xenakis as well but as with Stockhausen - some of it's a bit over my
        head + i suspect that it's 'musician's music' in the same way that
        lots of improv is. Has anyone heard any Thomas Ades???
        I also like Wagner (guilty secret)

        on a more bore-related subject - Takashi Miike's 'ichi the killer'
        has apparently been granted a UK certificate + will probably get an
        extremely limited distribution in 2003 - there are also websites
        advertising the dutch film works dvd (uncut + with english subtitles)
        but i'm a little suspicious that some might be bootlegs - £26 seems
        the average asking price

        peter

        -- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, pak <jpaknichols@y...> wrote:
        > in regards to captain beefheart...some times you hear
        > about a musician and people describe the guy as
        > someone who is "ahead of their time"...with captain
        > beefheart (and some choice others), time hasn't caught
        > up...i love captain beefheart...my favorite beefheart
        > albums are:
        >
        > trout mask replica
        > doc at the radar station
        > ice cream for crow
        > shiny beast (bat chain puller)
        > lick my decals off, baby
        > the spotlight kid/ clear spot
        >
        > and the five cd box set, entitled "grow fins"...from
        > the "trout mask replica" period mostly is great if you
        > got the bucks to get it...
        >
        > i hear that the reunited magic band is going to play
        > this year's all tomorrow's parties...the one hosted by
        > matt groening, creator of "the simpsons" and "life is
        > hell"...
        >
        > has anyone here heard the live hanatarash
        > albums?...i've only heard "aids-a-delic", which i
        > heard from someone that it was just eye and a
        > four-track, but i haven't heard any live hanatarash...
        >

        > pak
        >

        > =====
        > Mailing Address: 1286A Kesler Rd. Winder, GA 30680//Phone: 770-
        586-0165
        > "The system reorganizes itself so as to put pressure on those who
        do not fit in. Those who do not fit into the system are "sick"; to
        make them fit in is to "cure"...To pursue autonomy is seen as
        the "disease" -- T. Kaczynski

        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 10, 2002
          no need to apologize about mentioning the magical beefheart, at least
          by me. he's a legend. yes, i did see elsewhere the magic band info.
          you might check out the yahoo group sweetsweetbulbs for more captain
          info.-- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "wingsoftoast

        • sooooo spicy
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 10, 2002
            > no need to apologize about mentioning the magical
            > beefheart, at least
            > by me. he's a legend.

            i also don't mind talkin' about beefheart. i only own
            3 of his records (safe as milk, trout mask, and lick
            my decals...). i like them all (a lot!) safe as milk
            is my favorite, though. i'd whole heartidly recommend
            that to anyone wanting an old psychadelic garage rock
            album with beefheart's awsome edge to go along with
            it. i love that style of music and he tears it apart
            on that release! not as ground breaking as the other
            two... but really really good. i need to check out
            those others ya'll are talkin' about!

            > > where's this magic band rumour come from??? i can
            > only assume it
            > > means that they're appearing without the
            > captain????

            this was discussed on the zorn list. what i gathered
            was the magic band is reuniting for the atp and the
            captain is not going to be there. maybe they'll play
            around a bit more as long as they're reserecting and
            taking the time to practice?

            ,
            sooooo

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 10, 2002
              there's some kind of bat chain puller original version release out
              now (actually probably rebooted?--this was on vinyl as a boot years
              ago)--among alternate takes, it has "odd jobs", which is an essential
              beefheart song and apparently unavailable elsewhere. however, i
              always strongly recommend getting the releases as intended by the
              artist. one friend of mine has a bootleg addiction, and weirdly buys
              the outtakes and demos at ridiculous prices (and generally in lesser
              sound quality) often before he gets the legit releases. the logic
              escapes me.--- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, sooooo spicy
              <idiotsalad@y...> wrote:

              > > no need to apologize about mentioning the magical
              > > beefheart, at least
              > > by me. he's a legend.
              >
              > i also don't mind talkin' about beefheart. i only own
              > 3 of his records (safe as milk, trout mask, and lick
              > my decals...). i like them all (a lot!) safe as milk
              > is my favorite, though. i'd whole heartidly recommend
              > that to anyone wanting an old psychadelic garage rock
              > album with beefheart's awsome edge to go along with
              > it. i love that style of music and he tears it apart
              > on that release! not as ground breaking as the other
              > two... but really really good. i need to check out
              > those others ya'll are talkin' about!
              >
              > > > where's this magic band rumour come from??? i can
              > > only assume it
              > > > means that they're appearing without the
              > > captain????
              >
              > this was discussed on the zorn list. what i gathered
              > was the magic band is reuniting for the atp and the
              > captain is not going to be there. maybe they'll play
              > around a bit more as long as they're reserecting and
              > taking the time to practice?
              >
              > ,
              > sooooo

              > http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            • steve matis
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 10, 2002
                > on a more bore-related subject - Takashi Miike's
                > 'ichi the killer'
                > has apparently been granted a UK certificate + will
                > probably get an
                > extremely limited distribution in 2003 - there are
                > also websites
                > advertising the dutch film works dvd (uncut + with
                > english subtitles)
                > but i'm a little suspicious that some might be
                > bootlegs - �26 seems
                > the average asking price

                hmmm, i live in texas and i got a sealed official
                uncut, regionless, english translated dvd of the film
                ("ichi the killer") for $20. it should be incredibly
                easy to get on ebay for super super cheap. if you
                can;t get it new, you are sure to find it used. its
                fucking brutal and i can;t think of too many people
                who would want to repeatedly watch it more than 4 or 5
                times. i have owned it for about 2 months now and i
                have only been able to watch it once. its beyond
                intense but its absolutely hilarious (in the right
                frame of mind obviosuly) and the music is AMAZING. i
                got the soundtrack and i have been jamming that alot
                lately. the soundtrack is actually a bit more
                recommended, but the movie is great, especially if you
                are into takashi miike's other movies.

                http://mailplus.yahoo.com
              • Dave
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 10, 2002
                  --- alterego100usa <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  > there's some kind of bat chain puller original
                  > version release out now

                  I've got this. 'Dust Sucker'. It's actually Don's
                  demos for 'BCP'. Sound is demo quality and the
                  "bonus" tracks seem like a hurried afterthought. Not
                  bad, but not the full on version that I had hoped for.
                  Does anyone have the double disc boot of the studio
                  version that was around briefly a couple of years ago?
                  Also, a big RIGHT ON to the Karera Musication
                  'Koroshiya Ichi' O.S.T.! The trailer tacked on to the
                  disc may be all that I need to actually see of it,
                  though. Lot's of cum and bloody mutilation. No?
                  DC

                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                • Hannu Haahti
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 10, 2002
                    > there's some kind of bat chain puller original version
                    > release out now (actually probably rebooted?--this was on

                    Yes, Dust-Sucker, a great album, recommended! Then again,
                    I recommend every Beefheart album except the two he released
                    in '74 (Unconditionally Guaranteed and Moonbeams & Bluejeans).

                    Trout Mask Replica ('69) is clearly the best, but check out
                    also Lick My Decals Off, Baby ('71), Strictly Personal ('68),
                    Safe as Milk ('67), Doc at the Radar Station ('80),
                    Shiny Beast ('78) and Mirror Man Sessions (rec. '68), and
                    even the '72 albums The Spotlight Kid and Clear Spot, which
                    are on the same cd, although the sound is commercial
                    the music is really great. But Trout Mask Replica is probably
                    the place to start (I assume if someone's into Boredoms then
                    even that shouldn't be too weird).

                    > vinyl as a boot years ago)--among alternate takes, it
                    > has "odd jobs", which is an essential beefheart song and
                    > apparently unavailable elsewhere.

                    It's on Grow Fins -box as well...

                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 11, 2002
                      --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "wingsoftoast
                      <wingsoftoast@y...>" <wingsoftoast@y...> wrote:
                      > where's this magic band rumour come from??? i can only assume it
                      > means that they're appearing without the captain????

                      Not a rumour, I have my ticket booked for their gig @ the Sheperds
                      Bush Empire.

                      Check out the All Tomorrow's Parties website, I 1st heard of the gigs
                      when somebody on a list forwarded the press release from there.

                      No Captain obviously. They're playing the US & UK ATP fests, & doing
                      the gig @ the Empire.

                      Gavin.
                    • ghobsonuk <gavin@theebillychildish.com>
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 11, 2002
                        --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "wingsoftoast
                        > on a more bore-related subject - Takashi Miike's 'ichi the killer'
                        > has apparently been granted a UK certificate + will probably get an
                        > extremely limited distribution in 2003

                        It got shown at last years' London Film Festival. I didn't know
                        anything about a Boredoms connection at the time. Fun film,
                        ludicrously blackly comic & *incredibly* violent.

                        Gavin.
                      • Just ask <psylent_life@yahoo.com>
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 13, 2002
                          --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, steve matis <istvanmatis@y...> > >
                          on a more bore-related subject - Takashi Miike's
                          > > 'ichi the killer' has apparently been granted a UK certificate

                          It has but the film will undergo three minutes worth of cuts.

                          > hmmm, i live in texas and i got a sealed official
                          > uncut, regionless, english translated dvd of the film
                          > ("ichi the killer") for $20.

                          Nope, it's not official. Here's the list of official releases
                          currently out.

                          Japan: Region-coded and without English subs. Uncut. NTSC format.
                          Hong Kong: Region-coded and with English subs. Heavily cut. NTSC
                          format. VCD also available but it's also cut.
                          Holland: Region-coded and with English subs. Uncut. (The running
                          time is short but this is due to the NTSC -> PAL conversion.) PAL
                          format. Rental version already out and retail version coming in January.
                          U.K.: No DVD announcement yet, but as mentioned above, any release
                          will be heavily cut. PAL format.

                          In short, there's no official, uncut version with English subs except
                          the Dutch disc.

                          > it should be incredibly easy to get on ebay for super
                          > super cheap.

                          True, but again, it's a bootlegs. There's two versions: one with subs
                          ripped from the Hong Kong DVD (i.e., certain dialogue is unsubbed) and
                          one using a fan-made script of the entire movie. The latter is part
                          of the reason said fan no longer publicly distibutes his scripts.
                          Pirates have taken several of them and used them on their bootlegs,
                          mostly Miike's other works but several others too.

                          As a side note, when it comes to Asian movies, eBay is essentially a
                          wasteland filled with bootlegs. Sure, some are legit, but many are
                          indeed bootlegs. If it doesn't have region-coding, that's usually a
                          tell-tale sign (especially for Japanese movies) except for certain
                          Hong Kong discs. I'm not going to lecture anyone on bootlegs and
                          whatnot. I just want to let everyone know since a lot of people are
                          duped into thinking they have official products.
                        • steve matis
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 13, 2002
                            > Nope, it's not official. Here's the list of
                            > official releases
                            > currently out.
                            >
                            > Japan: Region-coded and without English subs.
                            > Uncut. NTSC format.
                            > Hong Kong: Region-coded and with English subs.
                            > Heavily cut. NTSC
                            > format. VCD also available but it's also cut.
                            > Holland: Region-coded and with English subs. Uncut.
                            > (The running
                            > time is short but this is due to the NTSC -> PAL
                            > conversion.) PAL
                            > format. Rental version already out and retail
                            > version coming in January.
                            > U.K.: No DVD announcement yet, but as mentioned
                            > above, any release
                            > will be heavily cut. PAL format.

                            damn. someone did their homework. well either way, i
                            could care less if the movie i got it is a bootleg or
                            not. the quality is super good and the subtitles are
                            extremely good, although i did notice a misspelled
                            word here and there and some improper grammar. i am
                            not about to waste money obtaining an edited version
                            thats region 3 just so miike can see $2 from it. i
                            love his work and if i can get his movies here
                            officiially and they are uncut, then i will. i
                            generally disagree with bootlegging, and this would
                            normally be a no brainer for me, but when it comes to
                            edited material, i simply HAVE to have the truest
                            version that is available. my copy looks incredibly
                            official, from the cover and the back to the menu
                            setup and everything else, although it is all in
                            japanese. as soon as entire films that aren't region
                            coded and heavily edited are more readily available, i
                            will simply support bootlegged films because of my
                            egotistical desire to see the official version of the
                            film for cheap. your points on the validation and
                            marketing of official dvds is obviously well minded
                            and true, but its just a waste of everyone's time to
                            get expensive and edited (unless you can't handle the
                            film) versions of movies just because of their
                            "official" nature. to rudely paraphrase jean
                            baudrillard and slander his name, if the simulacrum is
                            as good as the original copy, then why even bother?
                            but once again, your points are well made and highly
                            appreciated. i now know that i do not own an official
                            copy.

                            thanks alot,

                            steve

                            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                          • Just ask <psylent_life@yahoo.com>
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 13, 2002
                              --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, steve matis <istvanmatis@y...> wrote:
                              > my copy looks incredibly official, from the cover and
                              > the back to the menu setup and everything else,
                              > although it is all in japanese.

                              The pirates basically ripped the Japanese DVD and did a good print job
                              copying the cover. Most recent bootlegs made from DVDs are
                              essentially bit-for-bit copies of the Japanese discs (plus English
                              subs), assuming the pirates don't have to downgrade from dual-layer to
                              single-layer discs.

                              > but its just a waste of everyone's time to get
                              > expensive and edited (unless you can't handle the film)
                              > versions of movies just because of their "official"
                              > nature.

                              Well, in the case of the Hong Kong disc, I agree. It looks like
                              garbage (or so I'm told) and it's cut to shreds. Those in Europe
                              technically won't have an excuse once the Dutch disc goes on sale.
                              English speakers in NTSC regions will just have to make up their own
                              minds. I can play films on my computer with computer-generated subs
                              (and will soon be able to make DVD-Rs w/ subs) but some people hate
                              doing that or don't have the capability.

                              > to rudely paraphrase jean baudrillard and slander
                              > his name, if the simulacrum is as good as the
                              > original copy, then why even bother?

                              Well, why bother buying Boredoms albums, or any albums? I can hit up
                              Soulseek and other P2P programs and download them all for free. I
                              don't have "golden ears" and can tolerate MP3 -> CD-R burns. Answer:
                              it's a show of support both to those who make the art and those who
                              distributed it (poor sales = no money, either personal or
                              film-related, for those involved). Also, as I mentioned earlier, I
                              know the guy who posted the full script for Ichi. Thanks to pirates
                              using his scripts, he's doing fewer films and requiring you to write
                              to him to get new scripts. Quite frankly, that sucks.

                              (Besides, who's to say that the band members don't get a tiny cut of
                              each DVD sold?)

                              Despite how I sound, I'm really not trying to be preachy. Bootlegs
                              serve their purpose at appropriate times, and hey, I'm far from an
                              angel. I just want people to be educated and, if nothing else, admit
                              they're hedonistic bastards who can't wait for official releases. ;-)
                            • Ann or Christopher Lupold
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 13, 2002
                                As a consumer advocate service I'll point out two things:
                                1) all-region and PAL to NTSC converting DVD players are now as common as
                                tree pollen in the US; you can get a Cyberhome player at some Best Buys for
                                $70.00(some stores have them for $120.00+). Malatas sell on eBay for $170 or
                                so.
                                2) the 2 disc Dutch DVD outstrips even the Japanese release:
                                DISC 1
                                Uncut 16:9 Anamorphic Widescreen Version
                                Japanese Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio and English Dubbed 2.0 Audio
                                Remastered English & Dutch Subtitle Options
                                Full length audio commentary with HK Cinema Expert Bey Logan, Lead Actress
                                Paulyn Sun (credited as Alien Sun) and Associate Producer Elliot Tong
                                [hey, maybe some insight into the soundtrack]
                                DISC 2
                                Behind-The-Scenes Feature
                                Filmographies
                                Photo Galleries
                                Interviews
                                And plenty more extras that have not been finalized...
                                Not only that, but it's a damn sight cheaper than the Japanese release - you
                                can pre-order it from Xploited Cinema for $25.

                                So now that that's settled, someone tell me where the hell I can find the
                                SUPER SEEEEEE!!!!!! DVD listed on Pop Kiss? Is it irretreivably out of
                                print? When did it even come out?
                              • steve matis
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 14, 2002
                                  > > to rudely paraphrase jean baudrillard and slander
                                  > > his name, if the simulacrum is as good as the
                                  > > original copy, then why even bother?
                                  >
                                  > Well, why bother buying Boredoms albums, or any
                                  > albums? I can hit up
                                  > Soulseek and other P2P programs and download them
                                  > all for free. I
                                  > don't have "golden ears" and can tolerate MP3 ->
                                  > CD-R burns. Answer:
                                  > it's a show of support both to those who make the
                                  > art and those who
                                  > distributed it (poor sales = no money, either
                                  > personal or
                                  > film-related, for those involved). Also, as I
                                  > mentioned earlier, I
                                  > know the guy who posted the full script for Ichi.
                                  > Thanks to pirates
                                  > using his scripts, he's doing fewer films and
                                  > requiring you to write
                                  > to him to get new scripts. Quite frankly, that
                                  > sucks.

                                  i totally agree with you to a point. i buy ALL my
                                  music all the time. i hardly ever download stuff,
                                  especially boredoms material and the only thing i have
                                  downloaded is the shit that i simply can not get
                                  anymore (super roots 3 for example). i have to have
                                  all the origianl packaging and all that stuff, plus i
                                  love to support bands, especially the boredoms. if
                                  there was an official and unedited version of 'ichi
                                  the killer,' I WOULD rebuy it. i do plan on buying
                                  more of miike films anyway, so i fully plan on
                                  supporting him no matter what. i do not see dvds and
                                  cds in the same way however. for some reason,
                                  obnoxious as it may be, i feel very obligated to
                                  support music much more than films, at least with the
                                  bands i really love. the dutch version of ichi the
                                  killer that someone posted about sounds fantastic. who
                                  knows?

                                  > I just want people to be educated and, if
                                  > nothing else, admit
                                  > they're hedonistic bastards who can't wait for
                                  > official releases. ;-)

                                  i'm an totally guilty.

                                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                                • Just ask <psylent_life@yahoo.com>
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 14, 2002
                                    --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "Ann or Christopher Lupold"
                                    <chrann@f...> wrote:
                                    > 1) all-region and PAL to NTSC converting DVD players are now as
                                    > common as tree pollen in the US; you can get a Cyberhome player at
                                    > some Best Buys for $70.00(some stores have them for $120.00+).
                                    > Malatas sell on eBay for $170 or so.

                                    True. Before buying a DVD player (or any expensive piece of equipment
                                    for that matter), people should do a little research on what they're
                                    getting. There are several all-region _and_ proper PAL/NTSC-players
                                    out there. The Malatas are pretty nice although I hear the cheaper
                                    models have occasional problems. The Cyberhome players,
                                    unfortunately, are super-cheap but I've read several reports of
                                    serious glitches. :-( In any event, if you have the money, I'd
                                    recommend a Malata (great PAL->NTSC conversion, unlike Apex/Sampo/etc.
                                    models) and a cheap Cyberhome as a backup.

                                    > 2) the 2 disc Dutch DVD outstrips even the Japanese release:

                                    The report I read is that the Dutch disc looks a little worse than the
                                    Japanese disc. That being said, it still apparently looks quite nice
                                    and it definitely wins in the extras department. The commentary with
                                    Bey Logan should be great. (He always does awesome commentaries.)

                                    > So now that that's settled, someone tell me where the hell I can
                                    > find the SUPER SEEEEEE!!!!!! DVD listed on Pop Kiss?

                                    I got mine from Comfort. HMV Japan had it briefly awhile back but
                                    it's gone again. Other than that and a U.S. shop that had one copy, I
                                    haven't seen it for sale elsewhere.

                                    > Is it irretreivably out of print?

                                    I doubt it but I have to admit Boredoms items are becoming harder to
                                    find. :-( I'm worried that Warner may slowly be causing the titles
                                    to go OOP.

                                    > When did it even come out?

                                    Sep. 27, 2000 according to my copy.
                                  • Ann or Christopher Lupold
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 4, 2003
                                      Just watched the uncut Dutch DVD of this movie and noticed that EYE is
                                      listed in the credits as a member of Karera Musication. Other than that, the
                                      music credits in the film are almost identical to those on the CD. I was
                                      under the impression that EYE was the only one *not* involved in the
                                      soundtrack. What gives?
                                    • Patrick Brennan Clawson <gohan2342@hotma
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 8, 2003
                                        So I accidently bought a bootleg version of Ichi the Killer on ebay
                                        that was uncut and mostly translated, but there are parts that are
                                        untranslated which is kind of annoying. I was wondering if there is
                                        anyone who has seen the fully translated version who could tell me
                                        what the dialogue is in the scene where we are first introduced to
                                        Kakihara and he is talking to the tottering old yakuza boss. It
                                        doesn't seem essential to the plot, but it has been bugging me for a
                                        while.

                                        --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "Just ask <psylent_life@y...>"

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 8, 2003
                                          > who
                                          > could tell me
                                          > what the dialogue is in the scene where we are first
                                          > introduced to
                                          > Kakihara and he is talking to the tottering old
                                          > yakuza boss. It
                                          > doesn't seem essential to the plot, but it has been
                                          > bugging me for a
                                          > while.

                                          that scene, if it is in the beginning with the shot of
                                          kakihara blowing smoke out of his cheeks, is just the
                                          gang talking about where anjo went with the money. one
                                          of the guys thinks he ran off with one of the girls
                                          while the other thinks he is dead and another gang was
                                          responsible for his murder. they argue about that
                                          before the next scene where they meet jiji (the small
                                          guy in the big jacket) and he informs that he hear it
                                          was a guy named suzuki from the other gang. i THINK
                                          this the scene you are talking about. its BEFORE the
                                          1st torture scene.

                                          http://mailplus.yahoo.com