beefheart...hanatarash...

  • pak
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 9, 2002
      in regards to captain beefheart...some times you hear
      about a musician and people describe the guy as
      someone who is "ahead of their time"...with captain
      beefheart (and some choice others), time hasn't caught
      up...i love captain beefheart...my favorite beefheart
      albums are:

      trout mask replica
      doc at the radar station
      ice cream for crow
      shiny beast (bat chain puller)
      lick my decals off, baby
      the spotlight kid/ clear spot

      and the five cd box set, entitled "grow fins"...from
      the "trout mask replica" period mostly is great if you
      got the bucks to get it...

      i hear that the reunited magic band is going to play
      this year's all tomorrow's parties...the one hosted by
      matt groening, creator of "the simpsons" and "life is
      hell"...

      has anyone here heard the live hanatarash
      albums?...i've only heard "aids-a-delic", which i
      heard from someone that it was just eye and a
      four-track, but i haven't heard any live hanatarash...

      pak

      =====
      Mailing Address: 1286A Kesler Rd. Winder, GA 30680//Phone: 770-586-0165
      "The system reorganizes itself so as to put pressure on those who do not fit in. Those who do not fit into the system are "sick"; to make them fit in is to "cure"...To pursue autonomy is seen as the "disease" -- T. Kaczynski
      http://www.geocities.com/jpaknichols
      http://www.marciaweberartobjects.com/nichols.html
      http://www.eastendgallery.net

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 9, 2002

        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 9, 2002
          I have Hanatarash 3,which I guess might have some live tracks,"Live
          Shit Action"might be a clue!There is also a track that sounds like
          them throwing barrels around,breaking glass,performance art more than
          the pure noise tracks on the rest of the album.
        • ghobsonuk <gavin@theebillychildish.com>
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 10, 2002
            --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, pak <jpaknichols@y...> wrote:
            > i hear that the reunited magic band is going to play
            > this year's all tomorrow's parties...the one hosted by
            > matt groening, creator of "the simpsons" and "life is
            > hell"...

            Also playing the Sheperds Bush Empire in London.

            Gavin.
          • wingsoftoast <wingsoftoast@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 10, 2002
              where's this magic band rumour come from??? i can only assume it
              means that they're appearing without the captain????
              Beefheart is really special - probably the only guy who comes close
              in my book is Mark E Smith -
              i've been waiting for a cd reissue of 'lick my decals' for donkey's
              years

              on the subject of composers again - my favourite Messiaen piece is
              the 'vingt regards pour l'enfant jesus' - i like bits of Iannis
              Xenakis as well but as with Stockhausen - some of it's a bit over my
              head + i suspect that it's 'musician's music' in the same way that
              lots of improv is. Has anyone heard any Thomas Ades???
              I also like Wagner (guilty secret)

              on a more bore-related subject - Takashi Miike's 'ichi the killer'
              has apparently been granted a UK certificate + will probably get an
              extremely limited distribution in 2003 - there are also websites
              advertising the dutch film works dvd (uncut + with english subtitles)
              but i'm a little suspicious that some might be bootlegs - £26 seems
              the average asking price

              peter

              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 10, 2002
                no need to apologize about mentioning the magical beefheart, at least
                by me. he's a legend. yes, i did see elsewhere the magic band info.
                you might check out the yahoo group sweetsweetbulbs for more captain
                info.-- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "wingsoftoast

              • sooooo spicy
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 10, 2002
                  > no need to apologize about mentioning the magical
                  > beefheart, at least
                  > by me. he's a legend.

                  i also don't mind talkin' about beefheart. i only own
                  3 of his records (safe as milk, trout mask, and lick
                  my decals...). i like them all (a lot!) safe as milk
                  is my favorite, though. i'd whole heartidly recommend
                  that to anyone wanting an old psychadelic garage rock
                  album with beefheart's awsome edge to go along with
                  it. i love that style of music and he tears it apart
                  on that release! not as ground breaking as the other
                  two... but really really good. i need to check out
                  those others ya'll are talkin' about!

                  > > where's this magic band rumour come from??? i can
                  > only assume it
                  > > means that they're appearing without the
                  > captain????

                  this was discussed on the zorn list. what i gathered
                  was the magic band is reuniting for the atp and the
                  captain is not going to be there. maybe they'll play
                  around a bit more as long as they're reserecting and
                  taking the time to practice?

                  ,
                  sooooo

                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 10, 2002
                    there's some kind of bat chain puller original version release out
                    now (actually probably rebooted?--this was on vinyl as a boot years
                    ago)--among alternate takes, it has "odd jobs", which is an essential
                    beefheart song and apparently unavailable elsewhere. however, i
                    always strongly recommend getting the releases as intended by the
                    artist. one friend of mine has a bootleg addiction, and weirdly buys
                    the outtakes and demos at ridiculous prices (and generally in lesser
                    sound quality) often before he gets the legit releases. the logic
                    escapes me.--- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, sooooo spicy
                    <idiotsalad@y...> wrote:

                    > > no need to apologize about mentioning the magical
                    > > beefheart, at least
                    > > by me. he's a legend.
                    >
                    > i also don't mind talkin' about beefheart. i only own
                    > 3 of his records (safe as milk, trout mask, and lick
                    > my decals...). i like them all (a lot!) safe as milk
                    > is my favorite, though. i'd whole heartidly recommend
                    > that to anyone wanting an old psychadelic garage rock
                    > album with beefheart's awsome edge to go along with
                    > it. i love that style of music and he tears it apart
                    > on that release! not as ground breaking as the other
                    > two... but really really good. i need to check out
                    > those others ya'll are talkin' about!
                    >
                    > > > where's this magic band rumour come from??? i can
                    > > only assume it
                    > > > means that they're appearing without the
                    > > captain????
                    >
                    > this was discussed on the zorn list. what i gathered
                    > was the magic band is reuniting for the atp and the
                    > captain is not going to be there. maybe they'll play
                    > around a bit more as long as they're reserecting and
                    > taking the time to practice?
                    >
                    > ,
                    > sooooo

                    > http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                  • steve matis
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 10, 2002
                      > on a more bore-related subject - Takashi Miike's
                      > 'ichi the killer'
                      > has apparently been granted a UK certificate + will
                      > probably get an
                      > extremely limited distribution in 2003 - there are
                      > also websites
                      > advertising the dutch film works dvd (uncut + with
                      > english subtitles)
                      > but i'm a little suspicious that some might be
                      > bootlegs - �26 seems
                      > the average asking price

                      hmmm, i live in texas and i got a sealed official
                      uncut, regionless, english translated dvd of the film
                      ("ichi the killer") for $20. it should be incredibly
                      easy to get on ebay for super super cheap. if you
                      can;t get it new, you are sure to find it used. its
                      fucking brutal and i can;t think of too many people
                      who would want to repeatedly watch it more than 4 or 5
                      times. i have owned it for about 2 months now and i
                      have only been able to watch it once. its beyond
                      intense but its absolutely hilarious (in the right
                      frame of mind obviosuly) and the music is AMAZING. i
                      got the soundtrack and i have been jamming that alot
                      lately. the soundtrack is actually a bit more
                      recommended, but the movie is great, especially if you
                      are into takashi miike's other movies.

                      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                    • Dave
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 10, 2002
                        --- alterego100usa <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                        > there's some kind of bat chain puller original
                        > version release out now

                        I've got this. 'Dust Sucker'. It's actually Don's
                        demos for 'BCP'. Sound is demo quality and the
                        "bonus" tracks seem like a hurried afterthought. Not
                        bad, but not the full on version that I had hoped for.
                        Does anyone have the double disc boot of the studio
                        version that was around briefly a couple of years ago?
                        Also, a big RIGHT ON to the Karera Musication
                        'Koroshiya Ichi' O.S.T.! The trailer tacked on to the
                        disc may be all that I need to actually see of it,
                        though. Lot's of cum and bloody mutilation. No?
                        DC

                        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                      • Hannu Haahti
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 10, 2002
                          > there's some kind of bat chain puller original version
                          > release out now (actually probably rebooted?--this was on

                          Yes, Dust-Sucker, a great album, recommended! Then again,
                          I recommend every Beefheart album except the two he released
                          in '74 (Unconditionally Guaranteed and Moonbeams & Bluejeans).

                          Trout Mask Replica ('69) is clearly the best, but check out
                          also Lick My Decals Off, Baby ('71), Strictly Personal ('68),
                          Safe as Milk ('67), Doc at the Radar Station ('80),
                          Shiny Beast ('78) and Mirror Man Sessions (rec. '68), and
                          even the '72 albums The Spotlight Kid and Clear Spot, which
                          are on the same cd, although the sound is commercial
                          the music is really great. But Trout Mask Replica is probably
                          the place to start (I assume if someone's into Boredoms then
                          even that shouldn't be too weird).

                          > vinyl as a boot years ago)--among alternate takes, it
                          > has "odd jobs", which is an essential beefheart song and
                          > apparently unavailable elsewhere.

                          It's on Grow Fins -box as well...

                          h.
                        • ghobsonuk <gavin@theebillychildish.com>
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 11, 2002
                            --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "wingsoftoast
                            <wingsoftoast@y...>" <wingsoftoast@y...> wrote:
                            > where's this magic band rumour come from??? i can only assume it
                            > means that they're appearing without the captain????

                            Not a rumour, I have my ticket booked for their gig @ the Sheperds
                            Bush Empire.

                            Check out the All Tomorrow's Parties website, I 1st heard of the gigs
                            when somebody on a list forwarded the press release from there.

                            No Captain obviously. They're playing the US & UK ATP fests, & doing
                            the gig @ the Empire.

                            Gavin.
                          • ghobsonuk <gavin@theebillychildish.com>
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 11, 2002
                              --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "wingsoftoast
                              > on a more bore-related subject - Takashi Miike's 'ichi the killer'
                              > has apparently been granted a UK certificate + will probably get an
                              > extremely limited distribution in 2003

                              It got shown at last years' London Film Festival. I didn't know
                              anything about a Boredoms connection at the time. Fun film,
                              ludicrously blackly comic & *incredibly* violent.

                              Gavin.
                            • Just ask <psylent_life@yahoo.com>
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 13, 2002
                                --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, steve matis <istvanmatis@y...> > >
                                on a more bore-related subject - Takashi Miike's
                                > > 'ichi the killer' has apparently been granted a UK certificate

                                It has but the film will undergo three minutes worth of cuts.

                                > hmmm, i live in texas and i got a sealed official
                                > uncut, regionless, english translated dvd of the film
                                > ("ichi the killer") for $20.

                                Nope, it's not official. Here's the list of official releases
                                currently out.

                                Japan: Region-coded and without English subs. Uncut. NTSC format.
                                Hong Kong: Region-coded and with English subs. Heavily cut. NTSC
                                format. VCD also available but it's also cut.
                                Holland: Region-coded and with English subs. Uncut. (The running
                                time is short but this is due to the NTSC -> PAL conversion.) PAL
                                format. Rental version already out and retail version coming in January.
                                U.K.: No DVD announcement yet, but as mentioned above, any release
                                will be heavily cut. PAL format.

                                In short, there's no official, uncut version with English subs except
                                the Dutch disc.

                                > it should be incredibly easy to get on ebay for super
                                > super cheap.

                                True, but again, it's a bootlegs. There's two versions: one with subs
                                ripped from the Hong Kong DVD (i.e., certain dialogue is unsubbed) and
                                one using a fan-made script of the entire movie. The latter is part
                                of the reason said fan no longer publicly distibutes his scripts.
                                Pirates have taken several of them and used them on their bootlegs,
                                mostly Miike's other works but several others too.

                                As a side note, when it comes to Asian movies, eBay is essentially a
                                wasteland filled with bootlegs. Sure, some are legit, but many are
                                indeed bootlegs. If it doesn't have region-coding, that's usually a
                                tell-tale sign (especially for Japanese movies) except for certain
                                Hong Kong discs. I'm not going to lecture anyone on bootlegs and
                                whatnot. I just want to let everyone know since a lot of people are
                                duped into thinking they have official products.
                              • steve matis
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 13, 2002
                                  > Nope, it's not official. Here's the list of
                                  > official releases
                                  > currently out.
                                  >
                                  > Japan: Region-coded and without English subs.
                                  > Uncut. NTSC format.
                                  > Hong Kong: Region-coded and with English subs.
                                  > Heavily cut. NTSC
                                  > format. VCD also available but it's also cut.
                                  > Holland: Region-coded and with English subs. Uncut.
                                  > (The running
                                  > time is short but this is due to the NTSC -> PAL
                                  > conversion.) PAL
                                  > format. Rental version already out and retail
                                  > version coming in January.
                                  > U.K.: No DVD announcement yet, but as mentioned
                                  > above, any release
                                  > will be heavily cut. PAL format.

                                  damn. someone did their homework. well either way, i
                                  could care less if the movie i got it is a bootleg or
                                  not. the quality is super good and the subtitles are
                                  extremely good, although i did notice a misspelled
                                  word here and there and some improper grammar. i am
                                  not about to waste money obtaining an edited version
                                  thats region 3 just so miike can see $2 from it. i
                                  love his work and if i can get his movies here
                                  officiially and they are uncut, then i will. i
                                  generally disagree with bootlegging, and this would
                                  normally be a no brainer for me, but when it comes to
                                  edited material, i simply HAVE to have the truest
                                  version that is available. my copy looks incredibly
                                  official, from the cover and the back to the menu
                                  setup and everything else, although it is all in
                                  japanese. as soon as entire films that aren't region
                                  coded and heavily edited are more readily available, i
                                  will simply support bootlegged films because of my
                                  egotistical desire to see the official version of the
                                  film for cheap. your points on the validation and
                                  marketing of official dvds is obviously well minded
                                  and true, but its just a waste of everyone's time to
                                  get expensive and edited (unless you can't handle the
                                  film) versions of movies just because of their
                                  "official" nature. to rudely paraphrase jean
                                  baudrillard and slander his name, if the simulacrum is
                                  as good as the original copy, then why even bother?
                                  but once again, your points are well made and highly
                                  appreciated. i now know that i do not own an official
                                  copy.

                                  thanks alot,

                                  steve

                                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                                • Just ask <psylent_life@yahoo.com>
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 13, 2002
                                    --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, steve matis <istvanmatis@y...> wrote:
                                    > my copy looks incredibly official, from the cover and
                                    > the back to the menu setup and everything else,
                                    > although it is all in japanese.

                                    The pirates basically ripped the Japanese DVD and did a good print job
                                    copying the cover. Most recent bootlegs made from DVDs are
                                    essentially bit-for-bit copies of the Japanese discs (plus English
                                    subs), assuming the pirates don't have to downgrade from dual-layer to
                                    single-layer discs.

                                    > but its just a waste of everyone's time to get
                                    > expensive and edited (unless you can't handle the film)
                                    > versions of movies just because of their "official"
                                    > nature.

                                    Well, in the case of the Hong Kong disc, I agree. It looks like
                                    garbage (or so I'm told) and it's cut to shreds. Those in Europe
                                    technically won't have an excuse once the Dutch disc goes on sale.
                                    English speakers in NTSC regions will just have to make up their own
                                    minds. I can play films on my computer with computer-generated subs
                                    (and will soon be able to make DVD-Rs w/ subs) but some people hate
                                    doing that or don't have the capability.

                                    > to rudely paraphrase jean baudrillard and slander
                                    > his name, if the simulacrum is as good as the
                                    > original copy, then why even bother?

                                    Well, why bother buying Boredoms albums, or any albums? I can hit up
                                    Soulseek and other P2P programs and download them all for free. I
                                    don't have "golden ears" and can tolerate MP3 -> CD-R burns. Answer:
                                    it's a show of support both to those who make the art and those who
                                    distributed it (poor sales = no money, either personal or
                                    film-related, for those involved). Also, as I mentioned earlier, I
                                    know the guy who posted the full script for Ichi. Thanks to pirates
                                    using his scripts, he's doing fewer films and requiring you to write
                                    to him to get new scripts. Quite frankly, that sucks.

                                    (Besides, who's to say that the band members don't get a tiny cut of
                                    each DVD sold?)

                                    Despite how I sound, I'm really not trying to be preachy. Bootlegs
                                    serve their purpose at appropriate times, and hey, I'm far from an
                                    angel. I just want people to be educated and, if nothing else, admit
                                    they're hedonistic bastards who can't wait for official releases. ;-)
                                  • Ann or Christopher Lupold
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 13, 2002
                                      As a consumer advocate service I'll point out two things:
                                      1) all-region and PAL to NTSC converting DVD players are now as common as
                                      tree pollen in the US; you can get a Cyberhome player at some Best Buys for
                                      $70.00(some stores have them for $120.00+). Malatas sell on eBay for $170 or
                                      so.
                                      2) the 2 disc Dutch DVD outstrips even the Japanese release:
                                      DISC 1
                                      Uncut 16:9 Anamorphic Widescreen Version
                                      Japanese Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio and English Dubbed 2.0 Audio
                                      Remastered English & Dutch Subtitle Options
                                      Full length audio commentary with HK Cinema Expert Bey Logan, Lead Actress
                                      Paulyn Sun (credited as Alien Sun) and Associate Producer Elliot Tong
                                      [hey, maybe some insight into the soundtrack]
                                      DISC 2
                                      Behind-The-Scenes Feature
                                      Filmographies
                                      Photo Galleries
                                      Interviews
                                      And plenty more extras that have not been finalized...
                                      Not only that, but it's a damn sight cheaper than the Japanese release - you
                                      can pre-order it from Xploited Cinema for $25.

                                      So now that that's settled, someone tell me where the hell I can find the
                                      SUPER SEEEEEE!!!!!! DVD listed on Pop Kiss? Is it irretreivably out of
                                      print? When did it even come out?
                                    • steve matis
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Dec 14, 2002
                                        > > to rudely paraphrase jean baudrillard and slander
                                        > > his name, if the simulacrum is as good as the
                                        > > original copy, then why even bother?
                                        >
                                        > Well, why bother buying Boredoms albums, or any
                                        > albums? I can hit up
                                        > Soulseek and other P2P programs and download them
                                        > all for free. I
                                        > don't have "golden ears" and can tolerate MP3 ->
                                        > CD-R burns. Answer:
                                        > it's a show of support both to those who make the
                                        > art and those who
                                        > distributed it (poor sales = no money, either
                                        > personal or
                                        > film-related, for those involved). Also, as I
                                        > mentioned earlier, I
                                        > know the guy who posted the full script for Ichi.
                                        > Thanks to pirates
                                        > using his scripts, he's doing fewer films and
                                        > requiring you to write
                                        > to him to get new scripts. Quite frankly, that
                                        > sucks.

                                        i totally agree with you to a point. i buy ALL my
                                        music all the time. i hardly ever download stuff,
                                        especially boredoms material and the only thing i have
                                        downloaded is the shit that i simply can not get
                                        anymore (super roots 3 for example). i have to have
                                        all the origianl packaging and all that stuff, plus i
                                        love to support bands, especially the boredoms. if
                                        there was an official and unedited version of 'ichi
                                        the killer,' I WOULD rebuy it. i do plan on buying
                                        more of miike films anyway, so i fully plan on
                                        supporting him no matter what. i do not see dvds and
                                        cds in the same way however. for some reason,
                                        obnoxious as it may be, i feel very obligated to
                                        support music much more than films, at least with the
                                        bands i really love. the dutch version of ichi the
                                        killer that someone posted about sounds fantastic. who
                                        knows?

                                        > I just want people to be educated and, if
                                        > nothing else, admit
                                        > they're hedonistic bastards who can't wait for
                                        > official releases. ;-)

                                        i'm an totally guilty.

                                        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                                      • Just ask <psylent_life@yahoo.com>
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Dec 14, 2002
                                          --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "Ann or Christopher Lupold"
                                          <chrann@f...> wrote:
                                          > 1) all-region and PAL to NTSC converting DVD players are now as
                                          > common as tree pollen in the US; you can get a Cyberhome player at
                                          > some Best Buys for $70.00(some stores have them for $120.00+).
                                          > Malatas sell on eBay for $170 or so.

                                          True. Before buying a DVD player (or any expensive piece of equipment
                                          for that matter), people should do a little research on what they're
                                          getting. There are several all-region _and_ proper PAL/NTSC-players
                                          out there. The Malatas are pretty nice although I hear the cheaper
                                          models have occasional problems. The Cyberhome players,
                                          unfortunately, are super-cheap but I've read several reports of
                                          serious glitches. :-( In any event, if you have the money, I'd
                                          recommend a Malata (great PAL->NTSC conversion, unlike Apex/Sampo/etc.
                                          models) and a cheap Cyberhome as a backup.

                                          > 2) the 2 disc Dutch DVD outstrips even the Japanese release:

                                          The report I read is that the Dutch disc looks a little worse than the
                                          Japanese disc. That being said, it still apparently looks quite nice
                                          and it definitely wins in the extras department. The commentary with
                                          Bey Logan should be great. (He always does awesome commentaries.)

                                          > So now that that's settled, someone tell me where the hell I can
                                          > find the SUPER SEEEEEE!!!!!! DVD listed on Pop Kiss?

                                          I got mine from Comfort. HMV Japan had it briefly awhile back but
                                          it's gone again. Other than that and a U.S. shop that had one copy, I
                                          haven't seen it for sale elsewhere.

                                          > Is it irretreivably out of print?

                                          I doubt it but I have to admit Boredoms items are becoming harder to
                                          find. :-( I'm worried that Warner may slowly be causing the titles
                                          to go OOP.

                                          > When did it even come out?

                                          Sep. 27, 2000 according to my copy.
                                        • Ann or Christopher Lupold
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 4, 2003
                                            Just watched the uncut Dutch DVD of this movie and noticed that EYE is
                                            listed in the credits as a member of Karera Musication. Other than that, the
                                            music credits in the film are almost identical to those on the CD. I was
                                            under the impression that EYE was the only one *not* involved in the
                                            soundtrack. What gives?
                                          • Patrick Brennan Clawson <gohan2342@hotma
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jan 8, 2003
                                              So I accidently bought a bootleg version of Ichi the Killer on ebay
                                              that was uncut and mostly translated, but there are parts that are
                                              untranslated which is kind of annoying. I was wondering if there is
                                              anyone who has seen the fully translated version who could tell me
                                              what the dialogue is in the scene where we are first introduced to
                                              Kakihara and he is talking to the tottering old yakuza boss. It
                                              doesn't seem essential to the plot, but it has been bugging me for a
                                              while.

                                              --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "Just ask <psylent_life@y...>"

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jan 8, 2003
                                                > who
                                                > could tell me
                                                > what the dialogue is in the scene where we are first
                                                > introduced to
                                                > Kakihara and he is talking to the tottering old
                                                > yakuza boss. It
                                                > doesn't seem essential to the plot, but it has been
                                                > bugging me for a
                                                > while.

                                                that scene, if it is in the beginning with the shot of
                                                kakihara blowing smoke out of his cheeks, is just the
                                                gang talking about where anjo went with the money. one
                                                of the guys thinks he ran off with one of the girls
                                                while the other thinks he is dead and another gang was
                                                responsible for his murder. they argue about that
                                                before the next scene where they meet jiji (the small
                                                guy in the big jacket) and he informs that he hear it
                                                was a guy named suzuki from the other gang. i THINK
                                                this the scene you are talking about. its BEFORE the
                                                1st torture scene.

                                                http://mailplus.yahoo.com