Re: [the boredoms] sort of off-subject

    Message 1 of 31 , Dec 5, 2002
      thanks! as you realize, labeling styles/formats/genres can be all too
      easily unbalanced when so many influences enter the mix; labels are
      often used lazily by radio programmers and many writers, but they can
      help in giving would-be listeners a sense of what might be expected.
      as with the boredoms, several friends who once thought the group was
      only responsible for loud, sometimes dissonant dada rock--as they
      have been, and which i fully enjoy--were nonplussed seeing the group
      perform an amazing live set of melodic (and loud) music that drew
      peripherally upon references to can, the mc5, and disparate others...-
      the stockhausen (folkways label?) lp i heard years ago was stunning;
      i'm guessing it was from late '50s/early '60s, and had some wildly
      collagist work that anyone in this group should enjoy. it's
      not "difficult" music (another unfortunate writer-applied label), but
      struck me as more advanced than anything i'd heard, for its amazingly
      blended textures.-- In theboredoms@y..., steve matis

    • dwatson.geo <aj153@freenet.carleton.ca>
      Message 31 of 31 , Dec 14, 2002
        --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, nostrapajamas1 <no_reply@y...>
        wrote:
        > > was there ever a 4?
        > I heard they never released a 4, because it's a # of bad luck in
        > japan, much like #13 in the west.
        > If you only have 1/2 of 7, get the rest, it's my favorite super
        > roots. I really like 8 too, & 6 then 3 and 1. I don't have 2&5.

        A contributor to the discographies who pops up in my mailbox every
        now and again told me that the issue wasn't actually 4 being an
        unlucky number in Japan, but copyright. I asked, but didn't get any
        more details than that.

        The discography updates are coming along slowly, but surely. When
        everything's ready, I'll announce it here.