OOIOO

  • souljacker68
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 31, 2002
      Have you tried soulseek for ooioo music? You can get all their albums
      and there's 2 live shows doing the rounds. (Not that I'm supporting
      copyright freud you understand.) You might even find me there.
      Happy hunting.

      see http://www.slsk.org
    • frankk_booth
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 31, 2002
        I ain't seen live OOIOO shows on soulseek about but I got me the VCN
        [circle] and Super Go promos on there, plus a Vooredoms show. I tried
        to get the...shit the name escapes me....kiriyama itchi was it? i
        suck at names... anyway I tried to get dat soundtrack Boredoms did
        but the guy wouldn't let me have it :( [if you're that person, ur a
        bad man]

        Btw, anyone notice that an OOIOO record is never quite there, they
        always seem to be one step away from being great. Anyone agree with
        me on this?
      • Mark Swartz
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 31, 2002
          On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 12:54:27AM -0000, frankk_booth wrote:
          > I ain't seen live OOIOO shows on soulseek about but I got me the VCN
          > [circle] and Super Go promos on there, plus a Vooredoms show. I tried
          > to get the...shit the name escapes me....kiriyama itchi was it? i
          > suck at names... anyway I tried to get dat soundtrack Boredoms did
          > but the guy wouldn't let me have it :( [if you're that person, ur a
          > bad man]
          >
          > Btw, anyone notice that an OOIOO record is never quite there, they
          > always seem to be one step away from being great. Anyone agree with
          > me on this?

          No. Feather Float completely does it for me. But
          it's OK if you feel different. :^)

          By the way, HMV Japan was goddamn expensive, but
          delivered the goods (Gold & Green) from Tokyo to
          Portland Oregon in about 36 hours. Whooooooooosh.
          I had them throw in the Super Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
          eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
          eeeeeeeee!!!!!! DVD too, since they were already
          chartering an airplane for me. I'm a happy man.

          Mark
        • sooooo spicy
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 31, 2002
            > Btw, anyone notice that an OOIOO record is never
            > quite there, they
            > always seem to be one step away from being great.
            > Anyone agree with
            > me on this?

            i think their self titled is a little less exciting.
            i haven't heard gold and green all the way through
            (though the songs i have heard are really fucking
            cool) but i think feather float is definitely there.
            the songs are all strong, the production's great, and
            i really dig how well the songs flow together...
            it's a hard album to show people samples of... or to
            just sit down and only listen to one song from. i
            think part of its magic is the dynamics of the album
            in intensity, volume, etc. throughout all of the songs
            strung together. it's like one greater piece as
            opposed to a collection of songs.

            i think they do a really good job of creating
            unpredictable and wacky music that's still really easy
            to listen and not pretentious. all of those qualities
            combined i find very rarely. it's less layered then
            most of the boredoms material... but i think that's
            what appeals to me about it.

            just my two cents, though.

            HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
            http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 31, 2002
              I sort of agree the albums leave me wanting a bit more.But even
              before this thread came up I'd been listening to Feather Float very
              heavily.OOIOO to me is like candy,very tasty and colorful.Sometimes I
              think some of the songs are a bit meandering,like they should have
              cut some songs or tightend things up a bit.Isn't OOIOO just Yoshimi
              plus a bunch of girls she grabbed for a photo shoot?Not bad if that's
              the case.But I think I'd rather see Yoshimi surrounded by more
              competent musicians.I just love the fact that Yoshimi has the same
              f*cked up musical world view and sense of humor as
              Eye,Seiichi,Tatsuya Yoshida etc.I love her growl,and her ear piercing
              screams.She rocks.
            • gygax
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 31, 2002
                --- surrealeye_2001 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                > But I think I'd rather see Yoshimi surrounded by
                > more competent musicians.

                when i saw ooioo play in san francisco, i left the
                show thinking yuka yoshimura (aka yoshiko) was the
                best drummer i'd ever seen... i don't think you could
                find a more competent drummer... check out her band
                DMBQ for further proof:

                http://www.dmbq.net

                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 1, 2002
                  --- In theboredoms@y..., "frankk_booth" <bobfunk@h...> wrote:
                  > I ain't seen live OOIOO shows on soulseek

                  There's a 96 & a 99 show both dated & labeled live in Japan. As to
                  where they came from, venue etc I've no idea. I've only heard the 99
                  show and the quality is actually pretty good and the performance
                  rocks.
                • frankk_booth
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 1, 2002
                    I guess its just personal preference. Feather float yeh works best as
                    an album, hehe if they actually put a few of the short tracks as one
                    big track I'd probably think it was great, since thats what 1000
                    frogs is basically like. To me Gold and Green is the best, let down
                    by only a couple of iffy tracks. Fossil really fucks my head up it's
                    annoying, then theres the little short tracks, and a different
                    version of INA;'#], so I felt it was goin strong with Soundtree,
                    Mountain book and Im a song in a fine little row, but just it goes a
                    wee bit downhill near the end. No doubt its a great album, OOIOOs
                    best to me, but I demand MOR EMORE RMOEEMOR MORE!!!!!

                    by the way, Whitehouse's new album Bird Seed is out soon, u have been
                    warned :P
                  • Mark Swartz
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 1, 2002
                      So I was at the All Tomorrows Parties
                      fest at UCLA last March, somewhat accidentally
                      (I live faaaar from LA, both physically and
                      philosophically) and with the main attraction
                      of seeing the Boredoms. From prior experience
                      (Boredoms shows in '93 and '99) and from old
                      posts to this list I've been reading, I have
                      the impression that what I saw in LA was not
                      precisely the Boredoms. Eye, Yoshimi and two
                      other drummers I didn't recognize banged away
                      for about 45 minutes. As soon as I stopped
                      wondering when the guitarists were going to
                      come out, I started to really enjoy it. What
                      was it?

                      Mark
                    • Mark Swartz
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 1, 2002
                        And as a postscript to that other message...

                        By the time I made it back to the merch table
                        at the UCLA show, they were completely sold out
                        of t-shirts. Does anybody have an idea where I
                        can get a shirt from a real outlet, i.e. where
                        the band will get something out of the deal? I
                        can't stand bootleggers of any stripe. But I
                        really want to fly the flag. Maybe I'll have to
                        roll my own?

                        Mark
                      • frankk_booth
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 1, 2002
                          dat was da vooredoms [voordoms / voredoms / vor-doms] which is
                          basically boredoms minus hilah and yamamotor, they were basically
                          busy with other things when this idea came up [motor was doin stuff
                          with Rovo probably, dunno about hilah], so they just thought of doin
                          this thing with mainly drums and samples. i dunno if the drummers are
                          the actual boredoms drummers [cept for yoshimi who i recognise] but i
                          couldnt recognise a boredoms drummer if he came and bit me on the
                          arse....but im pretty sure that it was E-da and ATR.

                          by the way, anyone remember the part [how can u forget] when
                          everything stops and yoshimi sings by herself? that was so magical...
                          anyone who saw it at the RFH back in june [or was it july] will
                          remember the eerie silence as everybody just stopped and glared at
                          this angel in the spotlight....ive never heard a crowd so well
                          behaved hehe. whens the album coming? even tho it probably wont be as
                          good as the gig, but i wanna experience that set again on
                          headphones... it was like being on drugs..cept i was totally sober.
                        • Mark Swartz
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 1, 2002
                            On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 03:46:49AM -0000, frankk_booth wrote:
                            > dat was da vooredoms [voordoms / voredoms / vor-doms] which is
                            > basically boredoms minus hilah and yamamotor, they were basically
                            > busy with other things when this idea came up [motor was doin stuff
                            > with Rovo probably, dunno about hilah], so they just thought of doin
                            > this thing with mainly drums and samples. i dunno if the drummers are
                            > the actual boredoms drummers [cept for yoshimi who i recognise] but i
                            > couldnt recognise a boredoms drummer if he came and bit me on the
                            > arse....but im pretty sure that it was E-da and ATR.
                            >
                            > by the way, anyone remember the part [how can u forget] when
                            > everything stops and yoshimi sings by herself? that was so magical...

                            Magical is the perfect word for it. That moment
                            is the image that comes into my mind whenever I
                            think about the show. It was such a contrast
                            after twenty or more minutes of drumming and
                            rhythmic noise. It really seemed like there was
                            more connecting the band than just lots of
                            musicianship and practice.

                            Mark

                            > anyone who saw it at the RFH back in june [or was it july] will
                            > remember the eerie silence as everybody just stopped and glared at
                            > this angel in the spotlight....ive never heard a crowd so well
                            > behaved hehe. whens the album coming? even tho it probably wont be as
                            > good as the gig, but i wanna experience that set again on
                            > headphones... it was like being on drugs..cept i was totally sober.

                          • Claude Zachary
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 2, 2002
                              You Saw the VOOREOMS, the "OO" is actually an infinity sign.

                              The Boredoms haven't played for years, and Yamamoto and Hira are no
                              longer in the band, so relly there is NO Boredoms, they were forced
                              to use the "Boredoms" name, but in Japan they are always VOOREDOMS,
                              as how they should be billed in Europe & Amerikkka. Also if you
                              noticed the 3rd drummer is not EDA, its YO2RO (I don't know where he
                              came from. but he shreds) he's predominately in this on-line video
                              I'll post a link to, it just a few minutes of "7VO7", "OOIOO" (which
                              made me almost shit my pants!!!I want the whole show SO BAD, there
                              are two OOIOO gigs always up on SoulSeek a 96 one and 99)
                              and "HATOBA" videos live in Tokyo, just a warning its really harsh
                              these are only 2-3 min. clips. (the latest news is posted on
                              Yoshimi's radio show site @ http://boredoms.i-radio.fm/ and here's a
                              fan site @ http://www.junkmagnet.com/music/jpop/ooioo.html ).

                              http://www.net-flyer.com/live/lives/live_7vo7.html

                              Yeah no more Boreodms is a bummer but you could see it coming,
                              there's a show on SoulSeek thats from Club Quattro Osaka '98 and its
                              two long unreleased jams they didn't do in 2002 and Yamamoto & Hira
                              aren't even playing on the first song and they're very much in the
                              background during the 2nd song, its VERY different than when they
                              came to Amerikkka in '99. There must be hours of studio recordings
                              its coming up on 5 years since they've recorded somthing thats been
                              released, so I can't imagine how great it must be, I hope they get
                              off Japanese major label, and just put out music. The UCLA show blew
                              my mind though, I got the UK shows in the mail and CANT WAIT, I was
                              told at UCLA the album was gonna be released in August, but well,
                              its the Boredoms maybe next August. I just got a video of about 5
                              minutes of them playing at Fuji this years, its amazing, a video
                              from Fuji 2001 is on SoulSeek too, so is the amazing Vision Creation
                              NewSun video which is INCREDIBLE.

                              AOA are no longer together, but I believe Handenensya is still
                              going, don't know what else Hira is up to. OOIOO are my favorite!!
                              Anyone who has Feather Float and not Gold & Green are LUCKY, I know
                              it will be difficult to believe me but its even better than Feather
                              Float!!! So you should BUY IT, who know when or if Birdman is gonna
                              put is out, plus Yoshimi's art and the packaging is very amazingly
                              beautiful so its worth it, I got it for like $25 bucks, there's two
                              songs here:
                              http://www2.eccosys.co.jp/~kawakazu/menu/review/menu217.html

                              "Grow Sound Tree" is the SHIT, "Mountain Book" is great but my least
                              favorite on the album. Unfortunately their guitar player quit and
                              they're in limbo as far as I know, and I NEVER saw them live I'm so
                              bummed. I just looked at the site I bought it at and its no longer
                              listed, so just do a search and you'll be able to get it. There's
                              always SoulSeek slsk.org (my username "claudezachary"). OH and the
                              best news of all ATR is now the drummer of HIGH RISE (one of my fav.
                              bands EVER)!!!! http://homepage2.nifty.com/highrise/

                              I started making a MSN group for people to list their CDR's &
                              Video's and trade, I've already hooked up some killer shit. I also
                              have lots of pictures and links up, but I'm still working on it. Go
                              to the link below and join the group:

                              http://groups.msn.com/PsychedelicMusicFromTheAxisPowers

                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 2, 2002
                                Bore-fans WHAT do I have to do to get my hands on 98-present day Bore
                                vids?ClaudeZachary,is the Fuji clip the one where they are playing
                                near the ocean?There is a short clip on the web of that,if I could
                                get that concert I'd be at peace in the BoreWorld.I don't have any
                                Bore vids to trade,can't we work something out?Anyone?

                                And how do you look for videos on Soulseek?I'm an idiot,I have a hard
                                enough time finding music on it.

                                Anyone?PLEASE?Come on I live in the friggin' Midwest.Not like I'm
                                going to see the Voordoms anytime soon.If at all.
                              • souljacker68
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 18, 2003
                                  Half way through my first listen to the new ooioo album. It's bloody
                                  excellent.
                                • Zachary Griffin
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jul 31, 2004
                                    To the person hoping for OOIOO in NYC. 11/12/04 at knitting factory NY.
                                    I'll see you there.

                                    Zach

                                    > Message: 3
                                    > Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 13:02:04 -0000
                                    > From: domsbore
                                    > Subject: OOIOO america dates
                                    >
                                    > on thrilljockey.com it says ooioo are set to play chicago and
                                    > philadelphia in november,
                                    > also
                                    > a friend of mine in CA says she heard they were playing there in
                                    > august, but i cant find anything about that, and it seems unlikely if
                                    > theyre playing the states in nov.
                                    > anyway
                                    > they better come to nyc

                                    > Message: 4
                                    > Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:08:30 -0700 (PDT)
                                    > From: Dawn Gallagher <chuuzetsu@...>
                                    > Subject: Re: OOIOO america dates
                                    >
                                    > I really hope they come to Cleveland or Columbus O.o
                                    >
                                    > domsbore <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:on thrilljockey.com it says ooioo
                                    > are set to play chicago and
                                    > philadelphia in november,
                                    > also
                                    > a friend of mine in CA says she heard they were playing there in
                                    > august, but i cant find anything about that, and it seems unlikely if
                                    > theyre playing the states in nov.
                                    > anyway
                                    > they better come to nyc
                                    >

                                    > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                  • domsbore
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jul 31, 2004
                                      !!!!!!!
                                      excellent
                                      vooredoms next week and ooioo in nov

                                      thanx for the info.....where did you get it from? i couldnt find out
                                      anywhere.

                                      --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, Zachary Griffin
                                      <griffinzachary@s...> wrote:

                                      > To the person hoping for OOIOO in NYC. 11/12/04 at knitting
                                      factory NY.
                                      > I'll see you there.
                                      >
                                      > Zach

                                      __

                                      __

                                      > > Message: 3
                                      > > Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 13:02:04 -0000
                                      > > From: domsbore
                                      > > Subject: OOIOO america dates
                                      > >
                                      > > on thrilljockey.com it says ooioo are set to play chicago and
                                      > > philadelphia in november,
                                      > > also
                                      > > a friend of mine in CA says she heard they were playing there in
                                      > > august, but i cant find anything about that, and it seems
                                      unlikely if
                                      > > theyre playing the states in nov.
                                      > > anyway
                                      > > they better come to nyc

                                      __

                                      __

                                      > > Message: 4
                                      > > Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:08:30 -0700 (PDT)
                                      > > From: Dawn Gallagher <chuuzetsu@y...>
                                      > > Subject: Re: OOIOO america dates
                                      > >
                                      > > I really hope they come to Cleveland or Columbus O.o
                                      > >
                                      > > domsbore <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:on thrilljockey.com it
                                      says ooioo
                                      > > are set to play chicago and
                                      > > philadelphia in november,
                                      > > also
                                      > > a friend of mine in CA says she heard they were playing there in
                                      > > august, but i cant find anything about that, and it seems
                                      unlikely if
                                      > > theyre playing the states in nov.
                                      > > anyway
                                      > > they better come to nyc
                                      > >

                                      > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                    • trigger_goldberg
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jul 31, 2004
                                        --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, domsbore <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                        > !!!!!!!
                                        > excellent
                                        > vooredoms next week and ooioo in nov
                                        >
                                        > thanx for the info.....where did you get it from? i couldnt find out
                                        > anywhere.

                                        I second this question, more specifically: Is there a list of OOIOO tour dates
                                        other than the "list" on Thrill Jockey? Pollstar currently has nothing listed.
                                      • domsbore
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Aug 1, 2004
                                          i emailed thrilljockey yesterday asking em for a list.

                                          ooioo are on the websites for venues that are not listed on the
                                          thrill jockey tour schedule though,
                                        • Zachary Griffin
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Aug 1, 2004
                                            To those asking me about the OOIOO show in NYC...

                                            I got the NYC date from the Knitting Factory website:
                                            http://www.knittingfactory.com

                                            ZacH
                                          • robertheinlein66
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Aug 9, 2004
                                              <griffinzachary@s...> wrote:
                                              > To those asking me about the OOIOO show in NYC...
                                              >
                                              > I got the NYC date from the Knitting Factory website:
                                              > http://www.knittingfactory.com
                                              >
                                              > ZacH

                                              i got my tix
                                            • trigger_goldberg
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Aug 9, 2004
                                                Hi.

                                                If anyone knows of any other California dates for OOIOO-- that are NOT 21+
                                                (like Bottom of the Hill seems to be)-- please let me know.

                                                I am currently directing much anger towards this particular club. I am only 20
                                                and to rob me of my chance to see OOIOO is an inhumanly mean thing to do.
                                                First missing ATP (thanks for your blundering organizational skills, guys), and
                                                then this...
                                              • FantomAD3@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Aug 9, 2004
                                                  Where are you guys getting the scheduling for this??

                                                • FantomAD3@aol.com
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Aug 9, 2004
                                                    Okay, here's what i found for OOIOO tour date - I"m assuming this is for
                                                    2004!?
                                                    _News, Tour Information and New Releases_
                                                    (http://www.thrilljockey.com/news.html)
                                                    OOIOO
                                                    Fri November 5 San Francisco
                                                    Bottom of the Hill

                                                    Tue November 9 Chicago
                                                    Empty Bottle

                                                    Thu November 11 Philadelphia
                                                    Unitarian Church

                                                    Fri November 12 New York
                                                    Knitting Factory

                                                  • bsull45
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Aug 16, 2004
                                                      hi. sorry, this isn't about ooioo. its about trades. i have the vcn box set, from 99
                                                      the cambridge, and vancouver shows on cd, from2002 i have the mar LA and
                                                      july london show. i'm interested in anything else from 98 to 99 and the jan 01
                                                      osaka show. i have the michigan 99 show on vhs and probably can't copy it.
                                                      my email bsullivan4@.... thanks, brian.
                                                      --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, robertheinlein66 <no_reply@y...>
                                                      wrote:
                                                      > --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, Zachary Griffin
                                                      > <griffinzachary@s...> wrote:
                                                      > > To those asking me about the OOIOO show in NYC...
                                                      > >
                                                      > > I got the NYC date from the Knitting Factory website:
                                                      > > http://www.knittingfactory.com
                                                      > >
                                                      > > ZacH
                                                      >

                                                      > i got my tix
                                                    • trigger_goldberg
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Aug 16, 2004
                                                        Hey, Brian-- some people on here like to trade, but I'm pretty sure none of
                                                        them need to read the same thing three different times in a row. Just keep it to
                                                        one post next time.

                                                        thanks!