SPK sample on "NANI NANI", etc

  • Michael Gillham
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2002
      And following on from my last message.

      I don't know if any other sharp-eared people noticed
      that the start of SPK's "Ground Zero : Infinity Dose"
      (from "Information Overload Unit") was sampled on
      "Propolution" (track 9 of "Nani Nani").

      John Zorn also used the same sample (albeit more of)
      on "Artemisia Absinthium", track 5 of Naked City's
      "Absinthe" album.

      SPK are named in the list of influences, etc, on the
      inlay of Naked City's "Radio" album.

      And of interest perhaps, whilst Butthole Surfers are
      being interviewed in bed on the "Blind Eye Sees All"
      VHS, if you listen closely during the second or third
      interview segment, you can hear they are listening to
      "Emanation Machine R. Gie 1916", the first track on
      SPK's "Information Overload Unit".

      All of the above is obviously only of interested if
      you know the SPK tracks in question of course!

      http://uk.my.yahoo.com
    • pm.carey@utoronto.ca
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2002
        * Michael Gillham <blackoperations_uk@...>:
        >I don't know if any other sharp-eared people noticed
        >that the start of SPK's "Ground Zero : Infinity Dose"
        >(from "Information Overload Unit") was sampled on
        >"Propolution" (track 9 of "Nani Nani").

        >John Zorn also used the same sample (albeit more of)
        >on "Artemisia Absinthium", track 5 of Naked City's
        >"Absinthe" album.

        Nice one, Michael! Three albums I haven't played in
        ages (well, I do play "Absinthe" a fair bit...).
        Just listened, and voilĂ ... clear as day.

        -P

        NP: Naked City - "Absinthe"
      • Michael Gillham
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2002
          You have to admit, I've got a sharp-ear! I mean, it's
          not THAT obvious!

          http://uk.my.yahoo.com
        • pm.carey@utoronto.ca
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
            * Michael Gillham <blackoperations_uk@...>:
            >You have to admit, I've got a sharp-ear! I mean, it's
            >not THAT obvious!

            I thought it was clearer (more obvious) on "Nani Nani"
            than on "Absinthe", but yeah, still a sharp catch.

            -Patrick