UK tour

  • ginjit2002
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 15, 2002
      Wow, what a few days! I decided to go to both the Brighton and London
      gigs – I mean, how often do you get the chance to see the Boredoms
      right??
      Brighton was pretty relaxed. The venue was right on the sea front,
      along a deserted stretch of beach by a closed-down funfair. I went
      after work and arrived as the sun was dipping behind the city. Their
      were kite fliers, lovely surf and sea gulls – and best of all, the
      fire doors were open and the band were sound checking, so I sat on
      the beach and chilled out in the sunshine while I waited for the
      start.
      There were two other bands on first, so Vooredoms didn't take to the
      stage until past 10.30pm. This meant I was definitely going to miss
      the last train back to London, so I ditched the support acts and
      tried to find a hotel room.
      I hadn't seen the band live before so I couldn't compare it with any
      previous performances, but I really enjoyed the set. As it was new
      material, it took a while to connect with. Also, the moment was
      overpowering – as in fully comprehending that the Boredoms were
      really live and playing there in front of me! In retrospect, Eye was
      pretty quiet in Brighton. Having seen his shamanic antics on
      Saturday, I can now tell what was missing before. He tried to climb
      on his amp at one point but his wires wouldn't reach so he gave up
      (with a smile to his roadie). Also, the stage was small, so he
      couldn't run around that much. What is to the band's credit is the
      fact that they are able to sustain interest for an hour plus with
      only drums and electronics. Whilst I missed seeing Yamamoto and so
      on, there was a full and lush soundscape at all times with so many
      textures and rhythms flying to all parts of the third Eye that at
      times the sound was overwhelming (in a damned good way of course).
      One part was akin to lying under a jumbo jet during take off. The
      three drummers were so beautifully in sync it was like witnessing a
      beautiful coloured beast rise up and walk (well, that was on
      Saturday, after, um, enhancement!)

      When I got back to the hotel, I found out it was the same one as the
      band. I awoke at about 1am to see the band outside my window piling
      up their cases, and in the morning realised Eye was in the room next
      door to me! Didn't hear any snoring or chainsaws or anything
      though… ;-)

      Comparing the two gigs, I reckon London was far better. I felt it was
      more organic, more charged, trippier and that Eye was more on form.
      They visited Paris between the two gigs, so maybe the rest inspired
      them to new heights. I don't think they did a gig there though?? It
      sure was great to see Eye dancing around possessed, really
      electrifying in fact. I can still feel the rhythms now.

      You might also be interested to know that there is an interview with
      Eye in last week's NME (still on sale). Obviously a horrific
      periodical, but it's a pretty good little article, with Eye talking
      about his experience in India during the solar eclipse in 1996 that
      caused the change in his life and music (thank you solar eclipse!!).

      Sorry for the long post, but there weren't many posts about these
      gigs and maybe people wanted to know! Now when can I see them
      again!?! How often do they play in Japan? New Year's Eve maybe?

      JimB
    • peter boughton
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 15, 2002
        it was a funny gig - most of the crowd had obviously
        come to see the boredoms but there were also a
        smattering of people there to see John Cale
        (headlining) - the audience dropped by about a third
        during Cale's set which was godawful + pretentious as
        hell (i can see why they chucked him out the Velvets).
        - Eye sat in front of me + left after about two songs
        looking a bit bemused - basically the boredoms should
        have headlined!

        The boredoms set was around 75 minutes long - the
        three drummers - (yoshimi especially) responding to a
        single note pitch shifted by Eye.(bit like the fourth
        track on rebore vol 0)At first i was a bit
        disappointed cos' it sounded a bit proggy but the
        sheer rhythmic propulsion of the group was so
        infectious you couldn't help being drawn in - there
        was a brief hiatus towards the end of the set during
        which eye appeared to shout 'shut up' a lot (don't ask
        me why) while yoshimi sang out angelically - this
        eventually became this huge stomping krautrock anthem
        thing which ended the set -- respect to the guys who
        got up and danced.

        http://autos.yahoo.com