Re: RFH gig

  • blgnse
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 14, 2002
      By the way, could someone identify the cast? :)

      Who was it sitting with his back towards the crowd banging away and
      who was it at the back banging away? ATR was one of them I guess?

      Yoshimi and Eye need no further presentation... :)

      But I have never seen the guys live before and on pictures and stuff
      they always seem to look different...

      And whos was that guy selling T-shirts? I think I recognized him as
      well???

      /Blgnse.
    • ginjit2002
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 15, 2002
        Wow, what a few days! I decided to go to both the Brighton and London
        gigs – I mean, how often do you get the chance to see the Boredoms
        right??
        Brighton was pretty relaxed. The venue was right on the sea front,
        along a deserted stretch of beach by a closed-down funfair. I went
        after work and arrived as the sun was dipping behind the city. Their
        were kite fliers, lovely surf and sea gulls – and best of all, the
        fire doors were open and the band were sound checking, so I sat on
        the beach and chilled out in the sunshine while I waited for the
        start.
        There were two other bands on first, so Vooredoms didn't take to the
        stage until past 10.30pm. This meant I was definitely going to miss
        the last train back to London, so I ditched the support acts and
        tried to find a hotel room.
        I hadn't seen the band live before so I couldn't compare it with any
        previous performances, but I really enjoyed the set. As it was new
        material, it took a while to connect with. Also, the moment was
        overpowering – as in fully comprehending that the Boredoms were
        really live and playing there in front of me! In retrospect, Eye was
        pretty quiet in Brighton. Having seen his shamanic antics on
        Saturday, I can now tell what was missing before. He tried to climb
        on his amp at one point but his wires wouldn't reach so he gave up
        (with a smile to his roadie). Also, the stage was small, so he
        couldn't run around that much. What is to the band's credit is the
        fact that they are able to sustain interest for an hour plus with
        only drums and electronics. Whilst I missed seeing Yamamoto and so
        on, there was a full and lush soundscape at all times with so many
        textures and rhythms flying to all parts of the third Eye that at
        times the sound was overwhelming (in a damned good way of course).
        One part was akin to lying under a jumbo jet during take off. The
        three drummers were so beautifully in sync it was like witnessing a
        beautiful coloured beast rise up and walk (well, that was on
        Saturday, after, um, enhancement!)

        When I got back to the hotel, I found out it was the same one as the
        band. I awoke at about 1am to see the band outside my window piling
        up their cases, and in the morning realised Eye was in the room next
        door to me! Didn't hear any snoring or chainsaws or anything
        though… ;-)

        Comparing the two gigs, I reckon London was far better. I felt it was
        more organic, more charged, trippier and that Eye was more on form.
        They visited Paris between the two gigs, so maybe the rest inspired
        them to new heights. I don't think they did a gig there though?? It
        sure was great to see Eye dancing around possessed, really
        electrifying in fact. I can still feel the rhythms now.

        You might also be interested to know that there is an interview with
        Eye in last week's NME (still on sale). Obviously a horrific
        periodical, but it's a pretty good little article, with Eye talking
        about his experience in India during the solar eclipse in 1996 that
        caused the change in his life and music (thank you solar eclipse!!).

        Sorry for the long post, but there weren't many posts about these
        gigs and maybe people wanted to know! Now when can I see them
        again!?! How often do they play in Japan? New Year's Eve maybe?

        JimB
      • peter boughton
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 15, 2002
          it was a funny gig - most of the crowd had obviously
          come to see the boredoms but there were also a
          smattering of people there to see John Cale
          (headlining) - the audience dropped by about a third
          during Cale's set which was godawful + pretentious as
          hell (i can see why they chucked him out the Velvets).
          - Eye sat in front of me + left after about two songs
          looking a bit bemused - basically the boredoms should
          have headlined!

          The boredoms set was around 75 minutes long - the
          three drummers - (yoshimi especially) responding to a
          single note pitch shifted by Eye.(bit like the fourth
          track on rebore vol 0)At first i was a bit
          disappointed cos' it sounded a bit proggy but the
          sheer rhythmic propulsion of the group was so
          infectious you couldn't help being drawn in - there
          was a brief hiatus towards the end of the set during
          which eye appeared to shout 'shut up' a lot (don't ask
          me why) while yoshimi sang out angelically - this
          eventually became this huge stomping krautrock anthem
          thing which ended the set -- respect to the guys who
          got up and danced.

          http://autos.yahoo.com