Re: RFH gig

  • blgnse
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 14, 2002
      There´s no words for it, pure magic...
      I loved it...

      Those guys and girl are crazy, banging away on their drums and
      electronics for over an hour (I think), and when you think they´ve
      reached their limit they keep pushing it...

      In a smaller rock club setting I think I would have died, and it
      makes you wonder how powerful boredoms sound when they appear as
      boredoms and not vooredoms (with guitar, bass etc.), puh! can´t even
      imagine!

      I went from Sweden to London only to see/hear Boredoms, and it was
      worth every £ :)

      /blgnse
    • blgnse
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 14, 2002
        By the way, could someone identify the cast? :)

        Who was it sitting with his back towards the crowd banging away and
        who was it at the back banging away? ATR was one of them I guess?

        Yoshimi and Eye need no further presentation... :)

        But I have never seen the guys live before and on pictures and stuff
        they always seem to look different...

        And whos was that guy selling T-shirts? I think I recognized him as
        well???

        /Blgnse.
      • ginjit2002
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 15, 2002
          Wow, what a few days! I decided to go to both the Brighton and London
          gigs – I mean, how often do you get the chance to see the Boredoms
          right??
          Brighton was pretty relaxed. The venue was right on the sea front,
          along a deserted stretch of beach by a closed-down funfair. I went
          after work and arrived as the sun was dipping behind the city. Their
          were kite fliers, lovely surf and sea gulls – and best of all, the
          fire doors were open and the band were sound checking, so I sat on
          the beach and chilled out in the sunshine while I waited for the
          start.
          There were two other bands on first, so Vooredoms didn't take to the
          stage until past 10.30pm. This meant I was definitely going to miss
          the last train back to London, so I ditched the support acts and
          tried to find a hotel room.
          I hadn't seen the band live before so I couldn't compare it with any
          previous performances, but I really enjoyed the set. As it was new
          material, it took a while to connect with. Also, the moment was
          overpowering – as in fully comprehending that the Boredoms were
          really live and playing there in front of me! In retrospect, Eye was
          pretty quiet in Brighton. Having seen his shamanic antics on
          Saturday, I can now tell what was missing before. He tried to climb
          on his amp at one point but his wires wouldn't reach so he gave up
          (with a smile to his roadie). Also, the stage was small, so he
          couldn't run around that much. What is to the band's credit is the
          fact that they are able to sustain interest for an hour plus with
          only drums and electronics. Whilst I missed seeing Yamamoto and so
          on, there was a full and lush soundscape at all times with so many
          textures and rhythms flying to all parts of the third Eye that at
          times the sound was overwhelming (in a damned good way of course).
          One part was akin to lying under a jumbo jet during take off. The
          three drummers were so beautifully in sync it was like witnessing a
          beautiful coloured beast rise up and walk (well, that was on
          Saturday, after, um, enhancement!)

          When I got back to the hotel, I found out it was the same one as the
          band. I awoke at about 1am to see the band outside my window piling
          up their cases, and in the morning realised Eye was in the room next
          door to me! Didn't hear any snoring or chainsaws or anything
          though… ;-)

          Comparing the two gigs, I reckon London was far better. I felt it was
          more organic, more charged, trippier and that Eye was more on form.
          They visited Paris between the two gigs, so maybe the rest inspired
          them to new heights. I don't think they did a gig there though?? It
          sure was great to see Eye dancing around possessed, really
          electrifying in fact. I can still feel the rhythms now.

          You might also be interested to know that there is an interview with
          Eye in last week's NME (still on sale). Obviously a horrific
          periodical, but it's a pretty good little article, with Eye talking
          about his experience in India during the solar eclipse in 1996 that
          caused the change in his life and music (thank you solar eclipse!!).

          Sorry for the long post, but there weren't many posts about these
          gigs and maybe people wanted to know! Now when can I see them
          again!?! How often do they play in Japan? New Year's Eve maybe?

          JimB
        • peter boughton
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 15, 2002
            it was a funny gig - most of the crowd had obviously
            come to see the boredoms but there were also a
            smattering of people there to see John Cale
            (headlining) - the audience dropped by about a third
            during Cale's set which was godawful + pretentious as
            hell (i can see why they chucked him out the Velvets).
            - Eye sat in front of me + left after about two songs
            looking a bit bemused - basically the boredoms should
            have headlined!

            The boredoms set was around 75 minutes long - the
            three drummers - (yoshimi especially) responding to a
            single note pitch shifted by Eye.(bit like the fourth
            track on rebore vol 0)At first i was a bit
            disappointed cos' it sounded a bit proggy but the
            sheer rhythmic propulsion of the group was so
            infectious you couldn't help being drawn in - there
            was a brief hiatus towards the end of the set during
            which eye appeared to shout 'shut up' a lot (don't ask
            me why) while yoshimi sang out angelically - this
            eventually became this huge stomping krautrock anthem
            thing which ended the set -- respect to the guys who
            got up and danced.

            http://autos.yahoo.com