Re: [the boredoms] RFH gig

  • souljacker68
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 14 7:57 AM
      Amen to that.

      Come on, don't be shy. You know you want to.

      --- In theboredoms@y..., "Arthur Gadney" <a_gadney@h...> wrote:
      > >great show at RFH, respect to the guy in the butthole surfers
      tshirt
      > >boogying down, u know who u are...
      >
      > What!? The first time Boredoms play in Europe in 7 years and that's
      all you
      > have to say?!? ;-)
      >
      > Maybe some of the others who went, could flesh out a few more
      details for us
      > simple mortals who missed it?
      >
      > Thanks!

    • blgnse
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 14 4:31 PM
        There´s no words for it, pure magic...
        I loved it...

        Those guys and girl are crazy, banging away on their drums and
        electronics for over an hour (I think), and when you think they´ve
        reached their limit they keep pushing it...

        In a smaller rock club setting I think I would have died, and it
        makes you wonder how powerful boredoms sound when they appear as
        boredoms and not vooredoms (with guitar, bass etc.), puh! can´t even
        imagine!

        I went from Sweden to London only to see/hear Boredoms, and it was
        worth every £ :)

        /blgnse
      • blgnse
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 14 4:35 PM
          By the way, could someone identify the cast? :)

          Who was it sitting with his back towards the crowd banging away and
          who was it at the back banging away? ATR was one of them I guess?

          Yoshimi and Eye need no further presentation... :)

          But I have never seen the guys live before and on pictures and stuff
          they always seem to look different...

          And whos was that guy selling T-shirts? I think I recognized him as
          well???

          /Blgnse.
        • ginjit2002
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 15 4:06 AM
            Wow, what a few days! I decided to go to both the Brighton and London
            gigs – I mean, how often do you get the chance to see the Boredoms
            right??
            Brighton was pretty relaxed. The venue was right on the sea front,
            along a deserted stretch of beach by a closed-down funfair. I went
            after work and arrived as the sun was dipping behind the city. Their
            were kite fliers, lovely surf and sea gulls – and best of all, the
            fire doors were open and the band were sound checking, so I sat on
            the beach and chilled out in the sunshine while I waited for the
            start.
            There were two other bands on first, so Vooredoms didn't take to the
            stage until past 10.30pm. This meant I was definitely going to miss
            the last train back to London, so I ditched the support acts and
            tried to find a hotel room.
            I hadn't seen the band live before so I couldn't compare it with any
            previous performances, but I really enjoyed the set. As it was new
            material, it took a while to connect with. Also, the moment was
            overpowering – as in fully comprehending that the Boredoms were
            really live and playing there in front of me! In retrospect, Eye was
            pretty quiet in Brighton. Having seen his shamanic antics on
            Saturday, I can now tell what was missing before. He tried to climb
            on his amp at one point but his wires wouldn't reach so he gave up
            (with a smile to his roadie). Also, the stage was small, so he
            couldn't run around that much. What is to the band's credit is the
            fact that they are able to sustain interest for an hour plus with
            only drums and electronics. Whilst I missed seeing Yamamoto and so
            on, there was a full and lush soundscape at all times with so many
            textures and rhythms flying to all parts of the third Eye that at
            times the sound was overwhelming (in a damned good way of course).
            One part was akin to lying under a jumbo jet during take off. The
            three drummers were so beautifully in sync it was like witnessing a
            beautiful coloured beast rise up and walk (well, that was on
            Saturday, after, um, enhancement!)

            When I got back to the hotel, I found out it was the same one as the
            band. I awoke at about 1am to see the band outside my window piling
            up their cases, and in the morning realised Eye was in the room next
            door to me! Didn't hear any snoring or chainsaws or anything
            though… ;-)

            Comparing the two gigs, I reckon London was far better. I felt it was
            more organic, more charged, trippier and that Eye was more on form.
            They visited Paris between the two gigs, so maybe the rest inspired
            them to new heights. I don't think they did a gig there though?? It
            sure was great to see Eye dancing around possessed, really
            electrifying in fact. I can still feel the rhythms now.

            You might also be interested to know that there is an interview with
            Eye in last week's NME (still on sale). Obviously a horrific
            periodical, but it's a pretty good little article, with Eye talking
            about his experience in India during the solar eclipse in 1996 that
            caused the change in his life and music (thank you solar eclipse!!).

            Sorry for the long post, but there weren't many posts about these
            gigs and maybe people wanted to know! Now when can I see them
            again!?! How often do they play in Japan? New Year's Eve maybe?

            JimB
          • peter boughton
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 15 11:46 AM
              it was a funny gig - most of the crowd had obviously
              come to see the boredoms but there were also a
              smattering of people there to see John Cale
              (headlining) - the audience dropped by about a third
              during Cale's set which was godawful + pretentious as
              hell (i can see why they chucked him out the Velvets).
              - Eye sat in front of me + left after about two songs
              looking a bit bemused - basically the boredoms should
              have headlined!

              The boredoms set was around 75 minutes long - the
              three drummers - (yoshimi especially) responding to a
              single note pitch shifted by Eye.(bit like the fourth
              track on rebore vol 0)At first i was a bit
              disappointed cos' it sounded a bit proggy but the
              sheer rhythmic propulsion of the group was so
              infectious you couldn't help being drawn in - there
              was a brief hiatus towards the end of the set during
              which eye appeared to shout 'shut up' a lot (don't ask
              me why) while yoshimi sang out angelically - this
              eventually became this huge stomping krautrock anthem
              thing which ended the set -- respect to the guys who
              got up and danced.

              http://autos.yahoo.com