Re: [the boredoms] RFH gig

  • Arthur Gadney
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 14, 2002
      >great show at RFH, respect to the guy in the butthole surfers tshirt
      >boogying down, u know who u are...

      What!? The first time Boredoms play in Europe in 7 years and that's all you
      have to say?!? ;-)

      Maybe some of the others who went, could flesh out a few more details for us
      simple mortals who missed it?

      Thanks!

    • souljacker68
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 14, 2002
        Amen to that.

        Come on, don't be shy. You know you want to.

        --- In theboredoms@y..., "Arthur Gadney" <a_gadney@h...> wrote:
        > >great show at RFH, respect to the guy in the butthole surfers
        tshirt
        > >boogying down, u know who u are...
        >
        > What!? The first time Boredoms play in Europe in 7 years and that's
        all you
        > have to say?!? ;-)
        >
        > Maybe some of the others who went, could flesh out a few more
        details for us
        > simple mortals who missed it?
        >
        > Thanks!

      • blgnse
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 14, 2002
          There´s no words for it, pure magic...
          I loved it...

          Those guys and girl are crazy, banging away on their drums and
          electronics for over an hour (I think), and when you think they´ve
          reached their limit they keep pushing it...

          In a smaller rock club setting I think I would have died, and it
          makes you wonder how powerful boredoms sound when they appear as
          boredoms and not vooredoms (with guitar, bass etc.), puh! can´t even
          imagine!

          I went from Sweden to London only to see/hear Boredoms, and it was
          worth every £ :)

          /blgnse
        • blgnse
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 14, 2002
            By the way, could someone identify the cast? :)

            Who was it sitting with his back towards the crowd banging away and
            who was it at the back banging away? ATR was one of them I guess?

            Yoshimi and Eye need no further presentation... :)

            But I have never seen the guys live before and on pictures and stuff
            they always seem to look different...

            And whos was that guy selling T-shirts? I think I recognized him as
            well???

            /Blgnse.
          • ginjit2002
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 15, 2002
              Wow, what a few days! I decided to go to both the Brighton and London
              gigs – I mean, how often do you get the chance to see the Boredoms
              right??
              Brighton was pretty relaxed. The venue was right on the sea front,
              along a deserted stretch of beach by a closed-down funfair. I went
              after work and arrived as the sun was dipping behind the city. Their
              were kite fliers, lovely surf and sea gulls – and best of all, the
              fire doors were open and the band were sound checking, so I sat on
              the beach and chilled out in the sunshine while I waited for the
              start.
              There were two other bands on first, so Vooredoms didn't take to the
              stage until past 10.30pm. This meant I was definitely going to miss
              the last train back to London, so I ditched the support acts and
              tried to find a hotel room.
              I hadn't seen the band live before so I couldn't compare it with any
              previous performances, but I really enjoyed the set. As it was new
              material, it took a while to connect with. Also, the moment was
              overpowering – as in fully comprehending that the Boredoms were
              really live and playing there in front of me! In retrospect, Eye was
              pretty quiet in Brighton. Having seen his shamanic antics on
              Saturday, I can now tell what was missing before. He tried to climb
              on his amp at one point but his wires wouldn't reach so he gave up
              (with a smile to his roadie). Also, the stage was small, so he
              couldn't run around that much. What is to the band's credit is the
              fact that they are able to sustain interest for an hour plus with
              only drums and electronics. Whilst I missed seeing Yamamoto and so
              on, there was a full and lush soundscape at all times with so many
              textures and rhythms flying to all parts of the third Eye that at
              times the sound was overwhelming (in a damned good way of course).
              One part was akin to lying under a jumbo jet during take off. The
              three drummers were so beautifully in sync it was like witnessing a
              beautiful coloured beast rise up and walk (well, that was on
              Saturday, after, um, enhancement!)

              When I got back to the hotel, I found out it was the same one as the
              band. I awoke at about 1am to see the band outside my window piling
              up their cases, and in the morning realised Eye was in the room next
              door to me! Didn't hear any snoring or chainsaws or anything
              though… ;-)

              Comparing the two gigs, I reckon London was far better. I felt it was
              more organic, more charged, trippier and that Eye was more on form.
              They visited Paris between the two gigs, so maybe the rest inspired
              them to new heights. I don't think they did a gig there though?? It
              sure was great to see Eye dancing around possessed, really
              electrifying in fact. I can still feel the rhythms now.

              You might also be interested to know that there is an interview with
              Eye in last week's NME (still on sale). Obviously a horrific
              periodical, but it's a pretty good little article, with Eye talking
              about his experience in India during the solar eclipse in 1996 that
              caused the change in his life and music (thank you solar eclipse!!).

              Sorry for the long post, but there weren't many posts about these
              gigs and maybe people wanted to know! Now when can I see them
              again!?! How often do they play in Japan? New Year's Eve maybe?

              JimB
            • peter boughton
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 15, 2002
                it was a funny gig - most of the crowd had obviously
                come to see the boredoms but there were also a
                smattering of people there to see John Cale
                (headlining) - the audience dropped by about a third
                during Cale's set which was godawful + pretentious as
                hell (i can see why they chucked him out the Velvets).
                - Eye sat in front of me + left after about two songs
                looking a bit bemused - basically the boredoms should
                have headlined!

                The boredoms set was around 75 minutes long - the
                three drummers - (yoshimi especially) responding to a
                single note pitch shifted by Eye.(bit like the fourth
                track on rebore vol 0)At first i was a bit
                disappointed cos' it sounded a bit proggy but the
                sheer rhythmic propulsion of the group was so
                infectious you couldn't help being drawn in - there
                was a brief hiatus towards the end of the set during
                which eye appeared to shout 'shut up' a lot (don't ask
                me why) while yoshimi sang out angelically - this
                eventually became this huge stomping krautrock anthem
                thing which ended the set -- respect to the guys who
                got up and danced.

                http://autos.yahoo.com