Re: new boredoms stuff?????????????

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 8, 2009
      if you've been lucky enough to have seen them on more than one occasion like myself then
      you can definitely see the evolution continuing. riffs, patterns, textures are continually
      building and expanding like a long-term transmutation. i think 77boadrum and the
      proceeding 88boadrum are perhaps the pinnacle of that evolution. i'm not sure what
      direction they can go in after that, but i'm definitely willing to stay and find out.

      with regards to exfedex's comments about their studio work, i personally think seadrum is
      a close approximation of their live performance and super roots 10, while not an good
      example of the ferocity (no sevena?!) of the group, does capture a part of the dancey
      boredoms which i have witnessed live a few years back in tokyo. i like it, but i personally
      have a taste for dance music so take that for what you will.
      but i empathize with demand for a proper full length. i feel like they still have a
      monster of a album within them still yet to be released.

      on a side note, has anyone heard the new yoshimi album? the album artwork looks way
      better than the SR10 does.

      --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, exfedex2000 <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > I'm not sure they'll follow the Hawkwind scenario. LIVE they're still
      > very vital. It's just that for some reason they will NOT get what
      > they do best into a studio! That last tour they did was a total mind
      > fuck but where's the recording?
      >
      > The 77 Boa Drum audio is essential. Extremely well recorded. The DVD
      > is highlights not the whole performance. No big deal. Super Roots 10
      > isn't terrible it's just ho hum.
      >
      > I saw the triple drummer lineup for the first time in March 2002 and
      > waited and waited and waited for a studio recording. Eye himself even
      > told us that the whole thing was already recorded and would be out in
      > August (of 2002). I guess I'm still waiting for it. LOL!
      >
      > After 7 years of this I'm beginning to believe that they're keeping
      > their recorded side and their LIVE side two separate entities.
      > <shrugs> Anybody's guess is as good as mine.
      >
      > --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "wingsoftoast" <wingsoftoast@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > wow, you go away for a few months and look what happens. HMV japan has
      > > got the boadrum cd/dvd priced at about 60 uk pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      > > (funnily priced 7777 yen - ha ha) there's also a 12" of something +
      > > super roots 10. I must say, a year ago I'd have plunged straight into
      > > my magical debt card to get this stuff, but looking at all the comments
      > > I'm not so sure if i'm bothered.
      > >
      > > I know there's an attraction in collecting stuff that's 'hard to come
      > > by' (even if the internet makes it dead easy, as long as you're
      > > prepared to pay the money),but really - can anyone say that the group
      > > has done anything really different in the last nine years? They've
      > > become something of a leftfield institution recently, so they could
      > > pretty much release the sound of Eye clicking his fingers 777 times and
      > > someone would run out and buy it. I can't help thinking of ageing
      > > hippies such as Hawkwind, eternally touring, eternally doing the same
      > > thing in front of a fervently loyal, unquestioning fan-base...

    • wingsoftoast
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 9, 2009
        I like dance music too (currently boring everyone with Basic Channel
        records) and i have seen the drum trio line-up - Eye wasn't playing
        the sevana thingummyjig at the time. maybe i'm just getting old! of
        course, part of the whole Boredoms appeal lies in their
        unconventionality and mutability - but you have to wonder if the drum
        trio has become self-limiting. I'm also getting old, and have a baby
        to feed - so 60 quid on what my wife calls'that noise' is a bit
        tricky...

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 9, 2009
          Sixty pounds! How can anyone attempt to justify that ridiculous
          overpricing? I recall trying to get Cornelius and Boredoms import CDs
          in the US ten years ago, and they were $50 US even then, just crazy.
          (Of course, bootleg retail prices are just as bad). At that time I
          saw the band live for $15 (US), which sort of shows the dichotomy of
          why many think the music industry rips people off. --- In
          theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "wingsoftoast" <wingsoftoast@...> wrote:

          > wow, you go away for a few months and look what happens. HMV japan
          has
          > got the boadrum cd/dvd priced at about 60 uk pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          > (funnily priced 7777 yen - ha ha) there's also a 12" of something +
          > super roots 10. I must say, a year ago I'd have plunged straight
          into
          > my magical debt card to get this stuff, but looking at all the
          comments
          > I'm not so sure if i'm bothered.
          >
          > I know there's an attraction in collecting stuff that's 'hard to
          come
          > by' (even if the internet makes it dead easy, as long as you're
          > prepared to pay the money),but really - can anyone say that the
          group
          > has done anything really different in the last nine years? They've
          > become something of a leftfield institution recently, so they could
          > pretty much release the sound of Eye clicking his fingers 777 times
          and
          > someone would run out and buy it. I can't help thinking of ageing
          > hippies such as Hawkwind, eternally touring, eternally doing the
          same
          > thing in front of a fervently loyal, unquestioning fan-base...

        • scott davis
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 11, 2009
            hey did anyone get the voaltz/relerer remix 12"?
            i've had 2 copies now and the quality of the vinyl is total shit.
            the first copy i had, the needle just skimmed across, and now i just bought a new one and it skips all over the place. not ok.
            boredoms are my favorite, but this sucks.
            ????? same story anyone?
            anyone have it on mp3 so i can enjoy it?
            i have stuff to trade

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 16, 2009
              No, I didn't get one, but I wonder if the quality of mastering over
              the years has generally declined, or if it's just the source of that
              record. I imagine production costs are still low--it used to be 40
              cents US to manufacture each LP record, but I haven't checked on
              pricing in a long time. No surprise if that cost tripled or
              quadrupled since then, but you might contact the manufacturing plant
              or record company. Sometimes, relevant info on the mastering is
              etched into the runoff groove that could be used for reference.
              Otherwise, telling others like this is a very good idea.--- In

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 16, 2009
                Oh--not sure where you got it, but retailers can be idiots. I had an
                LP once that looked like a hot wire had been dropped on it, returned
                it (retail shop) and the mgr. made me open another sealed copy to
                prove my assertion, which was indeed true. The second copy he saw
                opened in front of him had the same damage.--- In
                theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, alterego100usa <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > No, I didn't get one, but I wonder if the quality of mastering over
                > the years has generally declined, or if it's just the source of
                that
                > record. I imagine production costs are still low--it used to be 40
                > cents US to manufacture each LP record, but I haven't checked on
                > pricing in a long time. No surprise if that cost tripled or
                > quadrupled since then, but you might contact the manufacturing
                plant
                > or record company. Sometimes, relevant info on the mastering is
                > etched into the runoff groove that could be used for reference.
                > Otherwise, telling others like this is a very good idea.--- In
                > theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, scott davis <sjofarthotellet@> wrote:
                > >
                > > hey did anyone get the voaltz/relerer remix 12"?
                > > i've had 2 copies now and the quality of the vinyl is total shit.
                > > the first copy i had, the needle just skimmed across, and now i
                > just bought a new one and it skips all over the place. not ok.
                > > boredoms are my favorite, but this sucks.
                > > ????? same story anyone?
                > > anyone have it on mp3 so i can enjoy it?
                > > i have stuff to trade
                > >

                > > --- On Mon, 2/9/09, alterego100usa <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
                wrote:

                > > > From: alterego100usa <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
                > > > Subject: [the boredoms] Re: new boredoms stuff?????????????
                > > > To: theboredoms@yahoogroups.com
                > > > Date: Monday, February 9, 2009, 11:39 AM
                > > > Sixty pounds! How can anyone attempt to justify that
                > > > ridiculous
                > > > overpricing? I recall trying to get Cornelius and Boredoms
                > > > import CDs
                > > > in the US ten years ago, and they were $50 US even then,
                > > > just crazy.
                > > > (Of course, bootleg retail prices are just as bad). At that
                > > > time I
                > > > saw the band live for $15 (US), which sort of shows the
                > > > dichotomy of
                > > > why many think the music industry rips people off. --- In
                > > > theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "wingsoftoast"

                > > > happens. HMV japan
                > > > has
                > > > pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                > > > 12" of something +
                > > > plunged straight
                > > > into
                > > > all the
                > > > comments

                > > > that's 'hard to
                > > > come
                > > > long as you're
                > > > that the
                > > > group
                > > > years? They've
                > > > so they could
                > > > fingers 777 times
                > > > and
                > > > thinking of ageing
                > > > doing the
                > > > same
                > > > fan-base...

              • wingsoftoast
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 18, 2009
                  I've got a rhythm & sound singles box set (and they really push vinyl
                  over cds) and virtually every disc can only be played if I put a huge
                  ball of blu-tac above the stylus