Re: new boredoms stuff?????????????

  • exfedex2000
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 8, 2009
      I'm not sure they'll follow the Hawkwind scenario. LIVE they're still
      very vital. It's just that for some reason they will NOT get what
      they do best into a studio! That last tour they did was a total mind
      fuck but where's the recording?

      The 77 Boa Drum audio is essential. Extremely well recorded. The DVD
      is highlights not the whole performance. No big deal. Super Roots 10
      isn't terrible it's just ho hum.

      I saw the triple drummer lineup for the first time in March 2002 and
      waited and waited and waited for a studio recording. Eye himself even
      told us that the whole thing was already recorded and would be out in
      August (of 2002). I guess I'm still waiting for it. LOL!

      After 7 years of this I'm beginning to believe that they're keeping
      their recorded side and their LIVE side two separate entities.
      <shrugs> Anybody's guess is as good as mine.

      --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "wingsoftoast" <wingsoftoast@...>

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 8, 2009
        if you've been lucky enough to have seen them on more than one occasion like myself then
        you can definitely see the evolution continuing. riffs, patterns, textures are continually
        building and expanding like a long-term transmutation. i think 77boadrum and the
        proceeding 88boadrum are perhaps the pinnacle of that evolution. i'm not sure what
        direction they can go in after that, but i'm definitely willing to stay and find out.

        with regards to exfedex's comments about their studio work, i personally think seadrum is
        a close approximation of their live performance and super roots 10, while not an good
        example of the ferocity (no sevena?!) of the group, does capture a part of the dancey
        boredoms which i have witnessed live a few years back in tokyo. i like it, but i personally
        have a taste for dance music so take that for what you will.
        but i empathize with demand for a proper full length. i feel like they still have a
        monster of a album within them still yet to be released.

        on a side note, has anyone heard the new yoshimi album? the album artwork looks way
        better than the SR10 does.

        --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, exfedex2000 <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > I'm not sure they'll follow the Hawkwind scenario. LIVE they're still
        > very vital. It's just that for some reason they will NOT get what
        > they do best into a studio! That last tour they did was a total mind
        > fuck but where's the recording?
        >
        > The 77 Boa Drum audio is essential. Extremely well recorded. The DVD
        > is highlights not the whole performance. No big deal. Super Roots 10
        > isn't terrible it's just ho hum.
        >
        > I saw the triple drummer lineup for the first time in March 2002 and
        > waited and waited and waited for a studio recording. Eye himself even
        > told us that the whole thing was already recorded and would be out in
        > August (of 2002). I guess I'm still waiting for it. LOL!
        >
        > After 7 years of this I'm beginning to believe that they're keeping
        > their recorded side and their LIVE side two separate entities.
        > <shrugs> Anybody's guess is as good as mine.
        >
        > --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "wingsoftoast" <wingsoftoast@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > wow, you go away for a few months and look what happens. HMV japan has
        > > got the boadrum cd/dvd priced at about 60 uk pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        > > (funnily priced 7777 yen - ha ha) there's also a 12" of something +
        > > super roots 10. I must say, a year ago I'd have plunged straight into
        > > my magical debt card to get this stuff, but looking at all the comments
        > > I'm not so sure if i'm bothered.
        > >
        > > I know there's an attraction in collecting stuff that's 'hard to come
        > > by' (even if the internet makes it dead easy, as long as you're
        > > prepared to pay the money),but really - can anyone say that the group
        > > has done anything really different in the last nine years? They've
        > > become something of a leftfield institution recently, so they could
        > > pretty much release the sound of Eye clicking his fingers 777 times and
        > > someone would run out and buy it. I can't help thinking of ageing
        > > hippies such as Hawkwind, eternally touring, eternally doing the same
        > > thing in front of a fervently loyal, unquestioning fan-base...

      • wingsoftoast
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 9, 2009
          I like dance music too (currently boring everyone with Basic Channel
          records) and i have seen the drum trio line-up - Eye wasn't playing
          the sevana thingummyjig at the time. maybe i'm just getting old! of
          course, part of the whole Boredoms appeal lies in their
          unconventionality and mutability - but you have to wonder if the drum
          trio has become self-limiting. I'm also getting old, and have a baby
          to feed - so 60 quid on what my wife calls'that noise' is a bit
          tricky...

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 9, 2009
            Sixty pounds! How can anyone attempt to justify that ridiculous
            overpricing? I recall trying to get Cornelius and Boredoms import CDs
            in the US ten years ago, and they were $50 US even then, just crazy.
            (Of course, bootleg retail prices are just as bad). At that time I
            saw the band live for $15 (US), which sort of shows the dichotomy of
            why many think the music industry rips people off. --- In
            theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "wingsoftoast" <wingsoftoast@...> wrote:

            > wow, you go away for a few months and look what happens. HMV japan
            has
            > got the boadrum cd/dvd priced at about 60 uk pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            > (funnily priced 7777 yen - ha ha) there's also a 12" of something +
            > super roots 10. I must say, a year ago I'd have plunged straight
            into
            > my magical debt card to get this stuff, but looking at all the
            comments
            > I'm not so sure if i'm bothered.
            >
            > I know there's an attraction in collecting stuff that's 'hard to
            come
            > by' (even if the internet makes it dead easy, as long as you're
            > prepared to pay the money),but really - can anyone say that the
            group
            > has done anything really different in the last nine years? They've
            > become something of a leftfield institution recently, so they could
            > pretty much release the sound of Eye clicking his fingers 777 times
            and
            > someone would run out and buy it. I can't help thinking of ageing
            > hippies such as Hawkwind, eternally touring, eternally doing the
            same
            > thing in front of a fervently loyal, unquestioning fan-base...

          • scott davis
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 11, 2009
              hey did anyone get the voaltz/relerer remix 12"?
              i've had 2 copies now and the quality of the vinyl is total shit.
              the first copy i had, the needle just skimmed across, and now i just bought a new one and it skips all over the place. not ok.
              boredoms are my favorite, but this sucks.
              ????? same story anyone?
              anyone have it on mp3 so i can enjoy it?
              i have stuff to trade

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 16, 2009
                No, I didn't get one, but I wonder if the quality of mastering over
                the years has generally declined, or if it's just the source of that
                record. I imagine production costs are still low--it used to be 40
                cents US to manufacture each LP record, but I haven't checked on
                pricing in a long time. No surprise if that cost tripled or
                quadrupled since then, but you might contact the manufacturing plant
                or record company. Sometimes, relevant info on the mastering is
                etched into the runoff groove that could be used for reference.
                Otherwise, telling others like this is a very good idea.--- In

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 16, 2009
                  Oh--not sure where you got it, but retailers can be idiots. I had an
                  LP once that looked like a hot wire had been dropped on it, returned
                  it (retail shop) and the mgr. made me open another sealed copy to
                  prove my assertion, which was indeed true. The second copy he saw
                  opened in front of him had the same damage.--- In
                  theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, alterego100usa <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > No, I didn't get one, but I wonder if the quality of mastering over
                  > the years has generally declined, or if it's just the source of
                  that
                  > record. I imagine production costs are still low--it used to be 40
                  > cents US to manufacture each LP record, but I haven't checked on
                  > pricing in a long time. No surprise if that cost tripled or
                  > quadrupled since then, but you might contact the manufacturing
                  plant
                  > or record company. Sometimes, relevant info on the mastering is
                  > etched into the runoff groove that could be used for reference.
                  > Otherwise, telling others like this is a very good idea.--- In
                  > theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, scott davis <sjofarthotellet@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > hey did anyone get the voaltz/relerer remix 12"?
                  > > i've had 2 copies now and the quality of the vinyl is total shit.
                  > > the first copy i had, the needle just skimmed across, and now i
                  > just bought a new one and it skips all over the place. not ok.
                  > > boredoms are my favorite, but this sucks.
                  > > ????? same story anyone?
                  > > anyone have it on mp3 so i can enjoy it?
                  > > i have stuff to trade
                  > >

                  > > --- On Mon, 2/9/09, alterego100usa <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
                  wrote:

                  > > > From: alterego100usa <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
                  > > > Subject: [the boredoms] Re: new boredoms stuff?????????????
                  > > > To: theboredoms@yahoogroups.com
                  > > > Date: Monday, February 9, 2009, 11:39 AM
                  > > > Sixty pounds! How can anyone attempt to justify that
                  > > > ridiculous
                  > > > overpricing? I recall trying to get Cornelius and Boredoms
                  > > > import CDs
                  > > > in the US ten years ago, and they were $50 US even then,
                  > > > just crazy.
                  > > > (Of course, bootleg retail prices are just as bad). At that
                  > > > time I
                  > > > saw the band live for $15 (US), which sort of shows the
                  > > > dichotomy of
                  > > > why many think the music industry rips people off. --- In
                  > > > theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "wingsoftoast"

                  > > > happens. HMV japan
                  > > > has
                  > > > pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  > > > 12" of something +
                  > > > plunged straight
                  > > > into
                  > > > all the
                  > > > comments

                  > > > that's 'hard to
                  > > > come
                  > > > long as you're
                  > > > that the
                  > > > group
                  > > > years? They've
                  > > > so they could
                  > > > fingers 777 times
                  > > > and
                  > > > thinking of ageing
                  > > > doing the
                  > > > same
                  > > > fan-base...

                • wingsoftoast
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 18, 2009
                    I've got a rhythm & sound singles box set (and they really push vinyl
                    over cds) and virtually every disc can only be played if I put a huge
                    ball of blu-tac above the stylus