new boredoms stuff?????????????

  • wingsoftoast
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 8, 2009
      wow, you go away for a few months and look what happens. HMV japan has
      got the boadrum cd/dvd priced at about 60 uk pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      (funnily priced 7777 yen - ha ha) there's also a 12" of something +
      super roots 10. I must say, a year ago I'd have plunged straight into
      my magical debt card to get this stuff, but looking at all the comments
      I'm not so sure if i'm bothered.

      I know there's an attraction in collecting stuff that's 'hard to come
      by' (even if the internet makes it dead easy, as long as you're
      prepared to pay the money),but really - can anyone say that the group
      has done anything really different in the last nine years? They've
      become something of a leftfield institution recently, so they could
      pretty much release the sound of Eye clicking his fingers 777 times and
      someone would run out and buy it. I can't help thinking of ageing
      hippies such as Hawkwind, eternally touring, eternally doing the same
      thing in front of a fervently loyal, unquestioning fan-base...
    • exfedex2000
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 8, 2009
        I'm not sure they'll follow the Hawkwind scenario. LIVE they're still
        very vital. It's just that for some reason they will NOT get what
        they do best into a studio! That last tour they did was a total mind
        fuck but where's the recording?

        The 77 Boa Drum audio is essential. Extremely well recorded. The DVD
        is highlights not the whole performance. No big deal. Super Roots 10
        isn't terrible it's just ho hum.

        I saw the triple drummer lineup for the first time in March 2002 and
        waited and waited and waited for a studio recording. Eye himself even
        told us that the whole thing was already recorded and would be out in
        August (of 2002). I guess I'm still waiting for it. LOL!

        After 7 years of this I'm beginning to believe that they're keeping
        their recorded side and their LIVE side two separate entities.
        <shrugs> Anybody's guess is as good as mine.

        --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "wingsoftoast" <wingsoftoast@...>

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 8, 2009
          if you've been lucky enough to have seen them on more than one occasion like myself then
          you can definitely see the evolution continuing. riffs, patterns, textures are continually
          building and expanding like a long-term transmutation. i think 77boadrum and the
          proceeding 88boadrum are perhaps the pinnacle of that evolution. i'm not sure what
          direction they can go in after that, but i'm definitely willing to stay and find out.

          with regards to exfedex's comments about their studio work, i personally think seadrum is
          a close approximation of their live performance and super roots 10, while not an good
          example of the ferocity (no sevena?!) of the group, does capture a part of the dancey
          boredoms which i have witnessed live a few years back in tokyo. i like it, but i personally
          have a taste for dance music so take that for what you will.
          but i empathize with demand for a proper full length. i feel like they still have a
          monster of a album within them still yet to be released.

          on a side note, has anyone heard the new yoshimi album? the album artwork looks way
          better than the SR10 does.

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 9, 2009
            I like dance music too (currently boring everyone with Basic Channel
            records) and i have seen the drum trio line-up - Eye wasn't playing
            the sevana thingummyjig at the time. maybe i'm just getting old! of
            course, part of the whole Boredoms appeal lies in their
            unconventionality and mutability - but you have to wonder if the drum
            trio has become self-limiting. I'm also getting old, and have a baby
            to feed - so 60 quid on what my wife calls'that noise' is a bit
            tricky...

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 9, 2009
              Sixty pounds! How can anyone attempt to justify that ridiculous
              overpricing? I recall trying to get Cornelius and Boredoms import CDs
              in the US ten years ago, and they were $50 US even then, just crazy.
              (Of course, bootleg retail prices are just as bad). At that time I
              saw the band live for $15 (US), which sort of shows the dichotomy of
              why many think the music industry rips people off. --- In
              theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "wingsoftoast" <wingsoftoast@...> wrote:

              > wow, you go away for a few months and look what happens. HMV japan
              has
              > got the boadrum cd/dvd priced at about 60 uk pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              > (funnily priced 7777 yen - ha ha) there's also a 12" of something +
              > super roots 10. I must say, a year ago I'd have plunged straight
              into
              > my magical debt card to get this stuff, but looking at all the
              comments
              > I'm not so sure if i'm bothered.
              >
              > I know there's an attraction in collecting stuff that's 'hard to
              come
              > by' (even if the internet makes it dead easy, as long as you're
              > prepared to pay the money),but really - can anyone say that the
              group
              > has done anything really different in the last nine years? They've
              > become something of a leftfield institution recently, so they could
              > pretty much release the sound of Eye clicking his fingers 777 times
              and
              > someone would run out and buy it. I can't help thinking of ageing
              > hippies such as Hawkwind, eternally touring, eternally doing the
              same
              > thing in front of a fervently loyal, unquestioning fan-base...

            • scott davis
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 11, 2009
                hey did anyone get the voaltz/relerer remix 12"?
                i've had 2 copies now and the quality of the vinyl is total shit.
                the first copy i had, the needle just skimmed across, and now i just bought a new one and it skips all over the place. not ok.
                boredoms are my favorite, but this sucks.
                ????? same story anyone?
                anyone have it on mp3 so i can enjoy it?
                i have stuff to trade

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 16, 2009
                  No, I didn't get one, but I wonder if the quality of mastering over
                  the years has generally declined, or if it's just the source of that
                  record. I imagine production costs are still low--it used to be 40
                  cents US to manufacture each LP record, but I haven't checked on
                  pricing in a long time. No surprise if that cost tripled or
                  quadrupled since then, but you might contact the manufacturing plant
                  or record company. Sometimes, relevant info on the mastering is
                  etched into the runoff groove that could be used for reference.
                  Otherwise, telling others like this is a very good idea.--- In

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 16, 2009
                    Oh--not sure where you got it, but retailers can be idiots. I had an
                    LP once that looked like a hot wire had been dropped on it, returned
                    it (retail shop) and the mgr. made me open another sealed copy to
                    prove my assertion, which was indeed true. The second copy he saw
                    opened in front of him had the same damage.--- In
                    theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, alterego100usa <no_reply@...> wrote:

                    > No, I didn't get one, but I wonder if the quality of mastering over
                    > the years has generally declined, or if it's just the source of
                    that
                    > record. I imagine production costs are still low--it used to be 40
                    > cents US to manufacture each LP record, but I haven't checked on
                    > pricing in a long time. No surprise if that cost tripled or
                    > quadrupled since then, but you might contact the manufacturing
                    plant
                    > or record company. Sometimes, relevant info on the mastering is
                    > etched into the runoff groove that could be used for reference.
                    > Otherwise, telling others like this is a very good idea.--- In
                    > theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, scott davis <sjofarthotellet@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > hey did anyone get the voaltz/relerer remix 12"?
                    > > i've had 2 copies now and the quality of the vinyl is total shit.
                    > > the first copy i had, the needle just skimmed across, and now i
                    > just bought a new one and it skips all over the place. not ok.
                    > > boredoms are my favorite, but this sucks.
                    > > ????? same story anyone?
                    > > anyone have it on mp3 so i can enjoy it?
                    > > i have stuff to trade
                    > >

                    > > --- On Mon, 2/9/09, alterego100usa <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
                    wrote:

                    > > > From: alterego100usa <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
                    > > > Subject: [the boredoms] Re: new boredoms stuff?????????????
                    > > > To: theboredoms@yahoogroups.com
                    > > > Date: Monday, February 9, 2009, 11:39 AM
                    > > > Sixty pounds! How can anyone attempt to justify that
                    > > > ridiculous
                    > > > overpricing? I recall trying to get Cornelius and Boredoms
                    > > > import CDs
                    > > > in the US ten years ago, and they were $50 US even then,
                    > > > just crazy.
                    > > > (Of course, bootleg retail prices are just as bad). At that
                    > > > time I
                    > > > saw the band live for $15 (US), which sort of shows the
                    > > > dichotomy of
                    > > > why many think the music industry rips people off. --- In
                    > > > theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "wingsoftoast"

                    > > > happens. HMV japan
                    > > > has
                    > > > pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    > > > 12" of something +
                    > > > plunged straight
                    > > > into
                    > > > all the
                    > > > comments

                    > > > that's 'hard to
                    > > > come
                    > > > long as you're
                    > > > that the
                    > > > group
                    > > > years? They've
                    > > > so they could
                    > > > fingers 777 times
                    > > > and
                    > > > thinking of ageing
                    > > > doing the
                    > > > same
                    > > > fan-base...

                  • wingsoftoast
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 18, 2009
                      I've got a rhythm & sound singles box set (and they really push vinyl
                      over cds) and virtually every disc can only be played if I put a huge
                      ball of blu-tac above the stylus