Re: interview with EYE and Yoshimi at the AV club

    Message 1 of 11 , May 29, 2008
      Glad for your posting. I'm not opposed to traveling for an event, but
      was just counting on the venues to advertise ticket availability more
      than 3 or 4 weeks prior to the event itself. Typically, in the music-
      rich Detroit area, even many small club gigs are advertised a couple
      of months earlier, and some bigger concerts are promoted 6 months or
      so earlier. And I'm still wondering why Boredoms couldn't ahve played
      Toronto, which is not all that far from here, and obviously a major
      city.-- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "almurphy56" <almurphy56@...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      > go to spread the word to your friends, other people, in person. the
      > internet these days is a lion's den, people's attention spans get
      > shorter by the minute.
      > also, boredoms have kind of had a zeppelin-esque approach to
      touring,
      > which, with fewer and more centralized shows in the states, has the
      > effect of making them more anticipated, memorable and talked-about
      > events. but yes, i agree, bad promotion squashes that approach
      pretty
      > quick.
      > anyway, pointless post. but it's definitely the best to bring people
      > to a show. i brought 2 of my friends to boadrum, and their heads
      were
      > blown 20 miles into the sky just like that.
      >

      > --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, alterego100usa <no_reply@>
      wrote:

      > > Yes, it has become prohibitive for bands to make the trip
      physically
      > > these days. I was seriously going to try for Philadelphia or DC,
      made
      > > several direct inquiries, but venues in both cities put tickets
      on
      > > sale extremely close to the event dates, and with my work, I had
      > > know some absolutes, like concert dates and ticket availability,
      > > be able to free up the time. Websites for both of those venues
      > > finally only listed the concerts a matter of a few weeks or so
      before
      > > the shows. Lodging in those cases would not have been a problem
      at
      > > all, as I have close family in that region. A smaller-scale
      analogy
      > > can be applied with the talented local musicians I know, many of
      whom
      > > play in a cycle of venues in front of generally identical small
      > > groups of fans. I do go to see them each on occasion (or when
      > > grouped, as is most often, in package shows) but they're also
      > > personal friends of mine, so I see them anyway and get their CDs
      > > free, etc. They often see the same faces when they play because
      it's
      > > so difficult for these musicians to get to play additional venues
      > > with owners who aren't corrupt or disinterested. Because of this
      (in
      > > part), their live audience does not really expand unless they can
      > > expand their territory of coverage. A group like Boredoms has an
      > > exceptional live performance approach that I believe would really
      > > expand their audience to very rewarding proportions IF others
      could
      > > be exposed to that art. That's where that investment toward
      > > touring/A&R/etc. can pay off quickly. I would've seen them this
      year
      > > if those venues had simply advertised tickets a reasonable length
      of
      > > time before the concerts, but that has nothing to do with
      Boredoms,
> [...]
      > > there; maybe that could be considered next time around?--- In

      > > very
      > > > large (and sometimes regionally-clustered) cities, so neither
      are
      > > > really expanding their audiences by number anymore, just
      playing to
      > > the
      > > > existing fans. This is truly a shame.<
      > > >
      > > > Yes, the bigger problem is that ticket sales do not pay for the
      > > tours
      > > > here in the US for the international acts. Even WB, back in the
      day,
      > > > had trouble bringing a band over for a long run, as it was very
      > > > expensive. Now those days are certainly past, as labels won't
      spend
      > > the
      > > > cash unless they get a specific ROI- return on investment.
      > > >
      > > > When Boredoms were on the first part of Lollapalooza 94, the
      only
      > > way
      > > > the deal could be done was if Boredoms gave up their portion of
      the
      > > > Lolla t-shirt for which every band received money. That money
      helped
      > > > alongside the funds the label also chipped in. It was a once in
      > > > lifetime opportunity for Boredoms to get that slot, so it was
      worth
      > > it.
      > > > Having Kurt Cobain and similar musicians as fans certainly
      helped
      > > too.
      > > > (BTW, part 2 of that Lolla tour featured Green Day in that
      opening
      > > > slot, just as the band was getting huge - but I digress.)
      > > >
      > > > Now, Boredoms are on Vice or Thrill Jockey (SR 9), labels that
      tend
      > > > give little monetary tour support. Tour support just isn't in
      the
      > > > vocabulary of the indie labels, as it's rarely recouped against
      > > album
      > > > sales. Sadly, passion alone cannot move a band and tour bus
      from
      > > city
      > > > to city.
      > > >
      > > > Also, their booking agent, Windish Agency, has to be very
      selective
      > > > give the available tour window the band has available. They need
      > > > guaranteed money that makes sense for the tour at hand. Do I
      wish
      > > Bore
      > > > could do 30 dates? Sure. But the band probably has just a few
      weeks
      > > in
      > > > reality, and yes, regionally-clustered shows make travel more
      > > > affordable.
      > > >
      > > > When you mention "playing to the existing fans" - well, I
      disagree
      > > > there. It's your duty as a music fan, as a BORE fan, to pack up
      the
      > > > station wagon with your friends and make them experience
      Boredoms.
      > > Hey,
      > > > Bore made it to America for you, can't you drag some friends
      across
      > > > state lines to see them?
      > > >
      > > > The current music business environment has changed the game for
      > > > marginal bands and labels, and the future remains uncertain. At
      > > least
      > > > America is inexpensive for most bands compared to years past
      with
      > > the
      > > > current exchange rates. Maybe more will take up the offer to
      come
      > > the
      > > > the USA.
      > > >
      > > > cheers,
      > > > joe

    • joejanecek
      Message 2 of 11 , May 29, 2008
        --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, alterego100usa <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > And I'm still wondering why Boredoms couldn't ahve played
        > Toronto, which is not all that far from here, and obviously a major
        > city.

        Ahh, good one. My guess is that it has to do with visa issues. The band has to pay someone
        in the US to process their work permits and visas, so they can earn money legally from the
        music they play in the US. Not certain about the Canadian rules, but there's probably some
        similarity.

        Point is, the extra cost of any visa or work permits required probably doesn't make a Toronto
        gig likely, unless they could do 3-4 or more Canadian shows, and being Canada, those would
        be quite far apart, probably. Plus, customs clearance of the gear into Canada, then back into
        the US, could add to the headaches.

        cheers,
        joe