Re: interview with EYE and Yoshimi at the AV club

    Message 1 of 11 , May 12, 2008
      Not to mention the extremely limited US tours of the past several
      years. Both Boredoms and Cornelius used to play in the Detroit area
      rather regularly up to a point, but now they each limit their total
      USA appearances to just a few very large (and sometimes regionally-
      clustered) cities, so neither are really expanding their audiences by
      number anymore, just playing to the existing fans. This is truly a
      shame. As opposed to (for instance) Boredoms playing Lollapalooza and
      Nirvana tours in the early '90s, when huge numbers of young rock fans
      were exposed to the group on a consistent basis. I did come across an
      older tape of Boredoms the other week, from the State Fair Arena in
      Detroit, on the Nirvana tour. The venue had/has horrible acoustics,
      so it sounds like a muffled Toho soundtrack, but the live concert was
      quite good. --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, fastyouth81

      <jeffwinterberg@> wrote:

      > > I personally think it would cheapen the 7/7/7 thing to re-do it
      with
      > > 8/8/8. I am speaking as someone who go to see it so I don't know
      how
      > > I'd feel if I had missed last summer.
      > >

      > > --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, fastyouth81 <no_reply@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > interesting stuff in there, although they don't seem like they
      are
      > > preparing to do 88drum this
      > > > year.
      > > >
      > > > http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/boredoms

    • Joe Janecek
      Message 2 of 11 , May 13, 2008
        >but now they each limit their total USA appearances to just a few very
        large (and sometimes regionally-clustered) cities, so neither are
        really expanding their audiences by number anymore, just playing to the
        existing fans. This is truly a shame.<

        Yes, the bigger problem is that ticket sales do not pay for the tours
        here in the US for the international acts. Even WB, back in the day,
        had trouble bringing a band over for a long run, as it was very
        expensive. Now those days are certainly past, as labels won't spend the
        cash unless they get a specific ROI- return on investment.

        When Boredoms were on the first part of Lollapalooza 94, the only way
        the deal could be done was if Boredoms gave up their portion of the
        Lolla t-shirt for which every band received money. That money helped
        alongside the funds the label also chipped in. It was a once in a
        lifetime opportunity for Boredoms to get that slot, so it was worth it.
        Having Kurt Cobain and similar musicians as fans certainly helped too.
        (BTW, part 2 of that Lolla tour featured Green Day in that opening
        slot, just as the band was getting huge - but I digress.)

        Now, Boredoms are on Vice or Thrill Jockey (SR 9), labels that tend to
        give little monetary tour support. Tour support just isn't in the
        vocabulary of the indie labels, as it's rarely recouped against album
        sales. Sadly, passion alone cannot move a band and tour bus from city
        to city.

        Also, their booking agent, Windish Agency, has to be very selective
        give the available tour window the band has available. They need
        guaranteed money that makes sense for the tour at hand. Do I wish Bore
        could do 30 dates? Sure. But the band probably has just a few weeks in
        reality, and yes, regionally-clustered shows make travel more
        affordable.

        When you mention "playing to the existing fans" - well, I disagree
        there. It's your duty as a music fan, as a BORE fan, to pack up the
        station wagon with your friends and make them experience Boredoms. Hey,
        Bore made it to America for you, can't you drag some friends across
        state lines to see them?

        The current music business environment has changed the game for
        marginal bands and labels, and the future remains uncertain. At least
        America is inexpensive for most bands compared to years past with the
        current exchange rates. Maybe more will take up the offer to come the
        the USA.

        cheers,
        joe
        Message 3 of 11 , May 13, 2008
          Yes, it has become prohibitive for bands to make the trip physically
          these days. I was seriously going to try for Philadelphia or DC, made
          several direct inquiries, but venues in both cities put tickets on
          sale extremely close to the event dates, and with my work, I had to
          know some absolutes, like concert dates and ticket availability, to
          be able to free up the time. Websites for both of those venues
          finally only listed the concerts a matter of a few weeks or so before
          the shows. Lodging in those cases would not have been a problem at
          all, as I have close family in that region. A smaller-scale analogy
          can be applied with the talented local musicians I know, many of whom
          play in a cycle of venues in front of generally identical small
          groups of fans. I do go to see them each on occasion (or when
          grouped, as is most often, in package shows) but they're also
          personal friends of mine, so I see them anyway and get their CDs
          free, etc. They often see the same faces when they play because it's
          so difficult for these musicians to get to play additional venues
          with owners who aren't corrupt or disinterested. Because of this (in
          part), their live audience does not really expand unless they can
          expand their territory of coverage. A group like Boredoms has an
          exceptional live performance approach that I believe would really
          expand their audience to very rewarding proportions IF others could
          be exposed to that art. That's where that investment toward
          touring/A&R/etc. can pay off quickly. I would've seen them this year
          if those venues had simply advertised tickets a reasonable length of
          time before the concerts, but that has nothing to do with Boredoms,
          just poor advertising. Even if they'd played Toronto, I would've been
          there; maybe that could be considered next time around?--- In
          theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, Joe Janecek <joejanecek@...> wrote:

> [...]
          in
          > reality, and yes, regionally-clustered shows make travel more
          > affordable.
          >
          > When you mention "playing to the existing fans" - well, I disagree
          > there. It's your duty as a music fan, as a BORE fan, to pack up the
          > station wagon with your friends and make them experience Boredoms.
          Hey,
          > Bore made it to America for you, can't you drag some friends across
          > state lines to see them?
          >
          > The current music business environment has changed the game for
          > marginal bands and labels, and the future remains uncertain. At
          least
          > America is inexpensive for most bands compared to years past with
          the
          > current exchange rates. Maybe more will take up the offer to come

        • almurphy56
          Message 4 of 11 , May 19, 2008
            we would all wish to see a bigger tour, but i think, given the
            realities of touring today, boredoms have done a good job at bringing
            in new fans, i mean, 77 last summer is a case in point. that was
            certainly not existing boredoms fans. that was the shit to see! i came
            up from virginia for it, and was totally blown away at the response to
            the event. i guess we can thank this new world of internet hype and
            blogs and shit for that. i see it as kind of bittersweet that boredoms
            have been sucked into the blogosphere and all that, on the one hand
            its great for expanding an audience, but of course there's all the
            internet bullshit and short attention spans that i see all over
            message boards (like the av club one i just read)that i hate to see my
            favorite band getting sucked into. so i think it is the right way to
            go to spread the word to your friends, other people, in person. the
            internet these days is a lion's den, people's attention spans get
            shorter by the minute.
            also, boredoms have kind of had a zeppelin-esque approach to touring,
            which, with fewer and more centralized shows in the states, has the
            effect of making them more anticipated, memorable and talked-about
            events. but yes, i agree, bad promotion squashes that approach pretty
            quick.
            anyway, pointless post. but it's definitely the best to bring people
            to a show. i brought 2 of my friends to boadrum, and their heads were
            blown 20 miles into the sky just like that.

            Message 5 of 11 , May 29, 2008
              Glad for your posting. I'm not opposed to traveling for an event, but
              was just counting on the venues to advertise ticket availability more
              than 3 or 4 weeks prior to the event itself. Typically, in the music-
              rich Detroit area, even many small club gigs are advertised a couple
              of months earlier, and some bigger concerts are promoted 6 months or
              so earlier. And I'm still wondering why Boredoms couldn't ahve played
              Toronto, which is not all that far from here, and obviously a major
              city.-- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "almurphy56" <almurphy56@...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              > > > affordable.
              > > >
              > > > When you mention "playing to the existing fans" - well, I
              disagree
              > > > there. It's your duty as a music fan, as a BORE fan, to pack up
              the
              > > > station wagon with your friends and make them experience
              Boredoms.
              > > Hey,
              > > > Bore made it to America for you, can't you drag some friends
              across
              > > > state lines to see them?
              > > >
              > > > The current music business environment has changed the game for
              > > > marginal bands and labels, and the future remains uncertain. At
              > > least
              > > > America is inexpensive for most bands compared to years past
              with
              > > the
              > > > current exchange rates. Maybe more will take up the offer to

            • joejanecek
              Message 6 of 11 , May 29, 2008
                --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, alterego100usa <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > And I'm still wondering why Boredoms couldn't ahve played
                > Toronto, which is not all that far from here, and obviously a major
                > city.

                Ahh, good one. My guess is that it has to do with visa issues. The band has to pay someone
                in the US to process their work permits and visas, so they can earn money legally from the
                music they play in the US. Not certain about the Canadian rules, but there's probably some
                similarity.

                Point is, the extra cost of any visa or work permits required probably doesn't make a Toronto
                gig likely, unless they could do 3-4 or more Canadian shows, and being Canada, those would
                be quite far apart, probably. Plus, customs clearance of the gear into Canada, then back into
                the US, could add to the headaches.

                cheers,
                joe