Re: [the boredoms] Re: interview with EYE and Yoshimi at the AV club

  • joseph abel
    Message 1 of 11 , May 11, 2008
      what is infinity 8,, i am a fan of yoshimi forever, but have never act met anyone who had heard of them,, please fill me in.

      scott davis <sjofarthotellet@...> wrote: sounds tits to me. infinity 8 would be different i think. plus i think they could tighten up the less than stellar aspects of 77boadrum as an event. there was plenty of space for more people, though i respect the fact that it made it better for the people that did get in.
      either way, i'll be there regardless if it does happen. whether it's in NY or the UK. if you go to the COMMONS website there's an interview with Yoshimi and she mentions London in passing,? and laughs about the possibility of 99.

      fastyouth81 wrote: well of course if you already saw you wouldn't want that experience to be recreated. but
      you are definitely in the minority as there were thousands of boredoms fans who couldn't
      make it or worse who came and were shut out of the park when it filled up.

      and actually, from what i've heard they wouldn't be re-doing 77Drum. it would be a new
      composition revolving around the theme of infinity (‡)

      Message 2 of 11 , May 12, 2008
        Not to mention the extremely limited US tours of the past several
        years. Both Boredoms and Cornelius used to play in the Detroit area
        rather regularly up to a point, but now they each limit their total
        USA appearances to just a few very large (and sometimes regionally-
        clustered) cities, so neither are really expanding their audiences by
        number anymore, just playing to the existing fans. This is truly a
        shame. As opposed to (for instance) Boredoms playing Lollapalooza and
        Nirvana tours in the early '90s, when huge numbers of young rock fans
        were exposed to the group on a consistent basis. I did come across an
        older tape of Boredoms the other week, from the State Fair Arena in
        Detroit, on the Nirvana tour. The venue had/has horrible acoustics,
        so it sounds like a muffled Toho soundtrack, but the live concert was
        quite good. --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, fastyouth81
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > well of course if you already saw you wouldn't want that experience
        to be recreated. but
        > you are definitely in the minority as there were thousands of
        boredoms fans who couldn't
        > make it or worse who came and were shut out of the park when it
        filled up.

        > and actually, from what i've heard they wouldn't be re-doing
        77Drum. it would be a new
        > composition revolving around the theme of infinity (‡)
        >

        > -- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "jeffwinterberg"
        <jeffwinterberg@> wrote:

        > > I personally think it would cheapen the 7/7/7 thing to re-do it
        with
        > > 8/8/8. I am speaking as someone who go to see it so I don't know
        how
        > > I'd feel if I had missed last summer.
        > >

        > > --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, fastyouth81 <no_reply@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > interesting stuff in there, although they don't seem like they
        are
        > > preparing to do 88drum this
        > > > year.
        > > >
        > > > http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/boredoms

      • Joe Janecek
        Message 3 of 11 , May 13, 2008
          >but now they each limit their total USA appearances to just a few very
          large (and sometimes regionally-clustered) cities, so neither are
          really expanding their audiences by number anymore, just playing to the
          existing fans. This is truly a shame.<

          Yes, the bigger problem is that ticket sales do not pay for the tours
          here in the US for the international acts. Even WB, back in the day,
          had trouble bringing a band over for a long run, as it was very
          expensive. Now those days are certainly past, as labels won't spend the
          cash unless they get a specific ROI- return on investment.

          When Boredoms were on the first part of Lollapalooza 94, the only way
          the deal could be done was if Boredoms gave up their portion of the
          Lolla t-shirt for which every band received money. That money helped
          alongside the funds the label also chipped in. It was a once in a
          lifetime opportunity for Boredoms to get that slot, so it was worth it.
          Having Kurt Cobain and similar musicians as fans certainly helped too.
          (BTW, part 2 of that Lolla tour featured Green Day in that opening
          slot, just as the band was getting huge - but I digress.)

          Now, Boredoms are on Vice or Thrill Jockey (SR 9), labels that tend to
          give little monetary tour support. Tour support just isn't in the
          vocabulary of the indie labels, as it's rarely recouped against album
          sales. Sadly, passion alone cannot move a band and tour bus from city
          to city.

          Also, their booking agent, Windish Agency, has to be very selective
          give the available tour window the band has available. They need
          guaranteed money that makes sense for the tour at hand. Do I wish Bore
          could do 30 dates? Sure. But the band probably has just a few weeks in
          reality, and yes, regionally-clustered shows make travel more
          affordable.

          When you mention "playing to the existing fans" - well, I disagree
          there. It's your duty as a music fan, as a BORE fan, to pack up the
          station wagon with your friends and make them experience Boredoms. Hey,
          Bore made it to America for you, can't you drag some friends across
          state lines to see them?

          The current music business environment has changed the game for
          marginal bands and labels, and the future remains uncertain. At least
          America is inexpensive for most bands compared to years past with the
          current exchange rates. Maybe more will take up the offer to come the
          the USA.

          cheers,
          joe
          Message 4 of 11 , May 13, 2008
            Yes, it has become prohibitive for bands to make the trip physically
            these days. I was seriously going to try for Philadelphia or DC, made
            several direct inquiries, but venues in both cities put tickets on
            sale extremely close to the event dates, and with my work, I had to
            know some absolutes, like concert dates and ticket availability, to
            be able to free up the time. Websites for both of those venues
            finally only listed the concerts a matter of a few weeks or so before
            the shows. Lodging in those cases would not have been a problem at
            all, as I have close family in that region. A smaller-scale analogy
            can be applied with the talented local musicians I know, many of whom
            play in a cycle of venues in front of generally identical small
            groups of fans. I do go to see them each on occasion (or when
            grouped, as is most often, in package shows) but they're also
            personal friends of mine, so I see them anyway and get their CDs
            free, etc. They often see the same faces when they play because it's
            so difficult for these musicians to get to play additional venues
            with owners who aren't corrupt or disinterested. Because of this (in
            part), their live audience does not really expand unless they can
            expand their territory of coverage. A group like Boredoms has an
            exceptional live performance approach that I believe would really
            expand their audience to very rewarding proportions IF others could
            be exposed to that art. That's where that investment toward
            touring/A&R/etc. can pay off quickly. I would've seen them this year
            if those venues had simply advertised tickets a reasonable length of
            time before the concerts, but that has nothing to do with Boredoms,
            just poor advertising. Even if they'd played Toronto, I would've been
            there; maybe that could be considered next time around?--- In
            theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, Joe Janecek <joejanecek@...> wrote:

> [...]
            in
            > reality, and yes, regionally-clustered shows make travel more
            > affordable.
            >
            > When you mention "playing to the existing fans" - well, I disagree
            > there. It's your duty as a music fan, as a BORE fan, to pack up the
            > station wagon with your friends and make them experience Boredoms.
            Hey,
            > Bore made it to America for you, can't you drag some friends across
            > state lines to see them?
            >
            > The current music business environment has changed the game for
            > marginal bands and labels, and the future remains uncertain. At
            least
            > America is inexpensive for most bands compared to years past with
            the
            > current exchange rates. Maybe more will take up the offer to come

          • almurphy56
            Message 5 of 11 , May 19, 2008
              we would all wish to see a bigger tour, but i think, given the
              realities of touring today, boredoms have done a good job at bringing
              in new fans, i mean, 77 last summer is a case in point. that was
              certainly not existing boredoms fans. that was the shit to see! i came
              up from virginia for it, and was totally blown away at the response to
              the event. i guess we can thank this new world of internet hype and
              blogs and shit for that. i see it as kind of bittersweet that boredoms
              have been sucked into the blogosphere and all that, on the one hand
              its great for expanding an audience, but of course there's all the
              internet bullshit and short attention spans that i see all over
              message boards (like the av club one i just read)that i hate to see my
              favorite band getting sucked into. so i think it is the right way to
              go to spread the word to your friends, other people, in person. the
              internet these days is a lion's den, people's attention spans get
              shorter by the minute.
              also, boredoms have kind of had a zeppelin-esque approach to touring,
              which, with fewer and more centralized shows in the states, has the
              effect of making them more anticipated, memorable and talked-about
              events. but yes, i agree, bad promotion squashes that approach pretty
              quick.
              anyway, pointless post. but it's definitely the best to bring people
              to a show. i brought 2 of my friends to boadrum, and their heads were
              blown 20 miles into the sky just like that.

              Message 6 of 11 , May 29, 2008
                Glad for your posting. I'm not opposed to traveling for an event, but
                was just counting on the venues to advertise ticket availability more
                than 3 or 4 weeks prior to the event itself. Typically, in the music-
                rich Detroit area, even many small club gigs are advertised a couple
                of months earlier, and some bigger concerts are promoted 6 months or
                so earlier. And I'm still wondering why Boredoms couldn't ahve played
                Toronto, which is not all that far from here, and obviously a major
                city.-- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "almurphy56" <almurphy56@...>
                wrote:

> [...]
                > > > affordable.
                > > >
                > > > When you mention "playing to the existing fans" - well, I
                disagree
                > > > there. It's your duty as a music fan, as a BORE fan, to pack up
                the
                > > > station wagon with your friends and make them experience
                Boredoms.
                > > Hey,
                > > > Bore made it to America for you, can't you drag some friends
                across
                > > > state lines to see them?
                > > >
                > > > The current music business environment has changed the game for
                > > > marginal bands and labels, and the future remains uncertain. At
                > > least
                > > > America is inexpensive for most bands compared to years past
                with
                > > the
                > > > current exchange rates. Maybe more will take up the offer to

              • joejanecek
                Message 7 of 11 , May 29, 2008
                  --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, alterego100usa <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > And I'm still wondering why Boredoms couldn't ahve played
                  > Toronto, which is not all that far from here, and obviously a major
                  > city.

                  Ahh, good one. My guess is that it has to do with visa issues. The band has to pay someone
                  in the US to process their work permits and visas, so they can earn money legally from the
                  music they play in the US. Not certain about the Canadian rules, but there's probably some
                  similarity.

                  Point is, the extra cost of any visa or work permits required probably doesn't make a Toronto
                  gig likely, unless they could do 3-4 or more Canadian shows, and being Canada, those would
                  be quite far apart, probably. Plus, customs clearance of the gear into Canada, then back into
                  the US, could add to the headaches.

                  cheers,
                  joe