Re: interview with EYE and Yoshimi at the AV club

  • jeffwinterberg
    Message 1 of 11 , May 7, 2008
      I personally think it would cheapen the 7/7/7 thing to re-do it with
      8/8/8. I am speaking as someone who go to see it so I don't know how
      I'd feel if I had missed last summer.

      Message 2 of 11 , May 7, 2008
        well of course if you already saw you wouldn't want that experience to be recreated. but
        you are definitely in the minority as there were thousands of boredoms fans who couldn't
        make it or worse who came and were shut out of the park when it filled up.

        and actually, from what i've heard they wouldn't be re-doing 77Drum. it would be a new
        composition revolving around the theme of infinity (‡)

        -- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "jeffwinterberg" <jeffwinterberg@...> wrote:

        > I personally think it would cheapen the 7/7/7 thing to re-do it with
        > 8/8/8. I am speaking as someone who go to see it so I don't know how
        > I'd feel if I had missed last summer.
        >

        > --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, fastyouth81 <no_reply@> wrote:
        > >
        > > interesting stuff in there, although they don't seem like they are
        > preparing to do 88drum this
        > > year.
        > >
        > > http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/boredoms

      • scott davis
        Message 3 of 11 , May 8, 2008
          sounds tits to me. infinity 8 would be different i think. plus i think they could tighten up the less than stellar aspects of 77boadrum as an event. there was plenty of space for more people, though i respect the fact that it made it better for the people that did get in.
          either way, i'll be there regardless if it does happen. whether it's in NY or the UK. if you go to the COMMONS website there's an interview with Yoshimi and she mentions London in passing,? and laughs about the possibility of 99.

          fastyouth81 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: well of course if you already saw you wouldn't want that experience to be recreated. but
          you are definitely in the minority as there were thousands of boredoms fans who couldn't
          make it or worse who came and were shut out of the park when it filled up.

          and actually, from what i've heard they wouldn't be re-doing 77Drum. it would be a new
          composition revolving around the theme of infinity (‡)

          -- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "jeffwinterberg" <jeffwinterberg@...> wrote:

          > I personally think it would cheapen the 7/7/7 thing to re-do it with
          > 8/8/8. I am speaking as someone who go to see it so I don't know how
          > I'd feel if I had missed last summer.
          >

          > --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, fastyouth81 <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >
          > > interesting stuff in there, although they don't seem like they are
          > preparing to do 88drum this
          > > year.
          > >
          > > http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/boredoms

        • joseph abel
          Message 4 of 11 , May 11, 2008
            what is infinity 8,, i am a fan of yoshimi forever, but have never act met anyone who had heard of them,, please fill me in.

            scott davis <sjofarthotellet@...> wrote: sounds tits to me. infinity 8 would be different i think. plus i think they could tighten up the less than stellar aspects of 77boadrum as an event. there was plenty of space for more people, though i respect the fact that it made it better for the people that did get in.
            either way, i'll be there regardless if it does happen. whether it's in NY or the UK. if you go to the COMMONS website there's an interview with Yoshimi and she mentions London in passing,? and laughs about the possibility of 99.

            fastyouth81 wrote: well of course if you already saw you wouldn't want that experience to be recreated. but

            Message 5 of 11 , May 12, 2008
              Not to mention the extremely limited US tours of the past several
              years. Both Boredoms and Cornelius used to play in the Detroit area
              rather regularly up to a point, but now they each limit their total
              USA appearances to just a few very large (and sometimes regionally-
              clustered) cities, so neither are really expanding their audiences by
              number anymore, just playing to the existing fans. This is truly a
              shame. As opposed to (for instance) Boredoms playing Lollapalooza and
              Nirvana tours in the early '90s, when huge numbers of young rock fans
              were exposed to the group on a consistent basis. I did come across an
              older tape of Boredoms the other week, from the State Fair Arena in
              Detroit, on the Nirvana tour. The venue had/has horrible acoustics,
              so it sounds like a muffled Toho soundtrack, but the live concert was
              quite good. --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, fastyouth81
              <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > well of course if you already saw you wouldn't want that experience
              to be recreated. but
              > you are definitely in the minority as there were thousands of
              boredoms fans who couldn't
              > make it or worse who came and were shut out of the park when it
              filled up.

              > and actually, from what i've heard they wouldn't be re-doing
              77Drum. it would be a new
              > composition revolving around the theme of infinity (‡)
              >

              > -- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "jeffwinterberg"
              <jeffwinterberg@> wrote:

              > > I personally think it would cheapen the 7/7/7 thing to re-do it
              with
              > > 8/8/8. I am speaking as someone who go to see it so I don't know
              how
              > > I'd feel if I had missed last summer.
              > >

              > > --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, fastyouth81 <no_reply@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > interesting stuff in there, although they don't seem like they
              are
              > > preparing to do 88drum this
              > > > year.
              > > >
              > > > http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/boredoms

            • Joe Janecek
              Message 6 of 11 , May 13, 2008
                >but now they each limit their total USA appearances to just a few very
                large (and sometimes regionally-clustered) cities, so neither are
                really expanding their audiences by number anymore, just playing to the
                existing fans. This is truly a shame.<

                Yes, the bigger problem is that ticket sales do not pay for the tours
                here in the US for the international acts. Even WB, back in the day,
                had trouble bringing a band over for a long run, as it was very
                expensive. Now those days are certainly past, as labels won't spend the
                cash unless they get a specific ROI- return on investment.

                When Boredoms were on the first part of Lollapalooza 94, the only way
                the deal could be done was if Boredoms gave up their portion of the
                Lolla t-shirt for which every band received money. That money helped
                alongside the funds the label also chipped in. It was a once in a
                lifetime opportunity for Boredoms to get that slot, so it was worth it.
                Having Kurt Cobain and similar musicians as fans certainly helped too.
                (BTW, part 2 of that Lolla tour featured Green Day in that opening
                slot, just as the band was getting huge - but I digress.)

                Now, Boredoms are on Vice or Thrill Jockey (SR 9), labels that tend to
                give little monetary tour support. Tour support just isn't in the
                vocabulary of the indie labels, as it's rarely recouped against album
                sales. Sadly, passion alone cannot move a band and tour bus from city
                to city.

                Also, their booking agent, Windish Agency, has to be very selective
                give the available tour window the band has available. They need
                guaranteed money that makes sense for the tour at hand. Do I wish Bore
                could do 30 dates? Sure. But the band probably has just a few weeks in
                reality, and yes, regionally-clustered shows make travel more
                affordable.

                When you mention "playing to the existing fans" - well, I disagree
                there. It's your duty as a music fan, as a BORE fan, to pack up the
                station wagon with your friends and make them experience Boredoms. Hey,
                Bore made it to America for you, can't you drag some friends across
                state lines to see them?

                The current music business environment has changed the game for
                marginal bands and labels, and the future remains uncertain. At least
                America is inexpensive for most bands compared to years past with the
                current exchange rates. Maybe more will take up the offer to come the
                the USA.

                cheers,
                joe
                Message 7 of 11 , May 13, 2008
                  Yes, it has become prohibitive for bands to make the trip physically
                  these days. I was seriously going to try for Philadelphia or DC, made
                  several direct inquiries, but venues in both cities put tickets on
                  sale extremely close to the event dates, and with my work, I had to
                  know some absolutes, like concert dates and ticket availability, to
                  be able to free up the time. Websites for both of those venues
                  finally only listed the concerts a matter of a few weeks or so before
                  the shows. Lodging in those cases would not have been a problem at
                  all, as I have close family in that region. A smaller-scale analogy
                  can be applied with the talented local musicians I know, many of whom
                  play in a cycle of venues in front of generally identical small
                  groups of fans. I do go to see them each on occasion (or when
                  grouped, as is most often, in package shows) but they're also
                  personal friends of mine, so I see them anyway and get their CDs
                  free, etc. They often see the same faces when they play because it's
                  so difficult for these musicians to get to play additional venues
                  with owners who aren't corrupt or disinterested. Because of this (in
                  part), their live audience does not really expand unless they can
                  expand their territory of coverage. A group like Boredoms has an
                  exceptional live performance approach that I believe would really
                  expand their audience to very rewarding proportions IF others could
                  be exposed to that art. That's where that investment toward
                  touring/A&R/etc. can pay off quickly. I would've seen them this year
                  if those venues had simply advertised tickets a reasonable length of
                  time before the concerts, but that has nothing to do with Boredoms,
                  just poor advertising. Even if they'd played Toronto, I would've been
                  there; maybe that could be considered next time around?--- In
                  theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, Joe Janecek <joejanecek@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  in
                  > reality, and yes, regionally-clustered shows make travel more
                  > affordable.
                  >
                  > When you mention "playing to the existing fans" - well, I disagree
                  > there. It's your duty as a music fan, as a BORE fan, to pack up the
                  > station wagon with your friends and make them experience Boredoms.
                  Hey,
                  > Bore made it to America for you, can't you drag some friends across
                  > state lines to see them?
                  >
                  > The current music business environment has changed the game for
                  > marginal bands and labels, and the future remains uncertain. At
                  least
                  > America is inexpensive for most bands compared to years past with
                  the
                  > current exchange rates. Maybe more will take up the offer to come

                • almurphy56
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 19, 2008
                    we would all wish to see a bigger tour, but i think, given the
                    realities of touring today, boredoms have done a good job at bringing
                    in new fans, i mean, 77 last summer is a case in point. that was
                    certainly not existing boredoms fans. that was the shit to see! i came
                    up from virginia for it, and was totally blown away at the response to
                    the event. i guess we can thank this new world of internet hype and
                    blogs and shit for that. i see it as kind of bittersweet that boredoms
                    have been sucked into the blogosphere and all that, on the one hand
                    its great for expanding an audience, but of course there's all the
                    internet bullshit and short attention spans that i see all over
                    message boards (like the av club one i just read)that i hate to see my
                    favorite band getting sucked into. so i think it is the right way to
                    go to spread the word to your friends, other people, in person. the
                    internet these days is a lion's den, people's attention spans get
                    shorter by the minute.
                    also, boredoms have kind of had a zeppelin-esque approach to touring,
                    which, with fewer and more centralized shows in the states, has the
                    effect of making them more anticipated, memorable and talked-about
                    events. but yes, i agree, bad promotion squashes that approach pretty
                    quick.
                    anyway, pointless post. but it's definitely the best to bring people
                    to a show. i brought 2 of my friends to boadrum, and their heads were
                    blown 20 miles into the sky just like that.

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 29, 2008
                      Glad for your posting. I'm not opposed to traveling for an event, but
                      was just counting on the venues to advertise ticket availability more
                      than 3 or 4 weeks prior to the event itself. Typically, in the music-
                      rich Detroit area, even many small club gigs are advertised a couple
                      of months earlier, and some bigger concerts are promoted 6 months or
                      so earlier. And I'm still wondering why Boredoms couldn't ahve played
                      Toronto, which is not all that far from here, and obviously a major
                      city.-- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "almurphy56" <almurphy56@...>
                      wrote:

> [...]
                      > > > affordable.
                      > > >
                      > > > When you mention "playing to the existing fans" - well, I
                      disagree
                      > > > there. It's your duty as a music fan, as a BORE fan, to pack up
                      the
                      > > > station wagon with your friends and make them experience
                      Boredoms.
                      > > Hey,
                      > > > Bore made it to America for you, can't you drag some friends
                      across
                      > > > state lines to see them?
                      > > >
                      > > > The current music business environment has changed the game for
                      > > > marginal bands and labels, and the future remains uncertain. At
                      > > least
                      > > > America is inexpensive for most bands compared to years past
                      with
                      > > the
                      > > > current exchange rates. Maybe more will take up the offer to

                    • joejanecek
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 29, 2008
                        --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, alterego100usa <no_reply@...> wrote:

                        > And I'm still wondering why Boredoms couldn't ahve played
                        > Toronto, which is not all that far from here, and obviously a major
                        > city.

                        Ahh, good one. My guess is that it has to do with visa issues. The band has to pay someone
                        in the US to process their work permits and visas, so they can earn money legally from the
                        music they play in the US. Not certain about the Canadian rules, but there's probably some
                        similarity.

                        Point is, the extra cost of any visa or work permits required probably doesn't make a Toronto
                        gig likely, unless they could do 3-4 or more Canadian shows, and being Canada, those would
                        be quite far apart, probably. Plus, customs clearance of the gear into Canada, then back into
                        the US, could add to the headaches.

                        cheers,
                        joe