interview with EYE and Yoshimi at the AV club

    Message 1 of 11 , May 6, 2008
      interesting stuff in there, although they don't seem like they are preparing to do 88drum this
      year.

      http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/boredoms
    • jeffwinterberg
      Message 2 of 11 , May 7, 2008
        I personally think it would cheapen the 7/7/7 thing to re-do it with
        8/8/8. I am speaking as someone who go to see it so I don't know how
        I'd feel if I had missed last summer.

        Message 3 of 11 , May 7, 2008
          well of course if you already saw you wouldn't want that experience to be recreated. but
          you are definitely in the minority as there were thousands of boredoms fans who couldn't
          make it or worse who came and were shut out of the park when it filled up.

          and actually, from what i've heard they wouldn't be re-doing 77Drum. it would be a new
          composition revolving around the theme of infinity (‡)

          -- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "jeffwinterberg" <jeffwinterberg@...> wrote:

          > I personally think it would cheapen the 7/7/7 thing to re-do it with
          > 8/8/8. I am speaking as someone who go to see it so I don't know how
          > I'd feel if I had missed last summer.
          >

          > --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, fastyouth81 <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >
          > > interesting stuff in there, although they don't seem like they are
          > preparing to do 88drum this
          > > year.
          > >
          > > http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/boredoms

        • scott davis
          Message 4 of 11 , May 8, 2008
            sounds tits to me. infinity 8 would be different i think. plus i think they could tighten up the less than stellar aspects of 77boadrum as an event. there was plenty of space for more people, though i respect the fact that it made it better for the people that did get in.
            either way, i'll be there regardless if it does happen. whether it's in NY or the UK. if you go to the COMMONS website there's an interview with Yoshimi and she mentions London in passing,? and laughs about the possibility of 99.

            fastyouth81 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: well of course if you already saw you wouldn't want that experience to be recreated. but
            you are definitely in the minority as there were thousands of boredoms fans who couldn't
            make it or worse who came and were shut out of the park when it filled up.

            and actually, from what i've heard they wouldn't be re-doing 77Drum. it would be a new
            composition revolving around the theme of infinity (‡)

            -- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "jeffwinterberg" <jeffwinterberg@...> wrote:

            > I personally think it would cheapen the 7/7/7 thing to re-do it with
            > 8/8/8. I am speaking as someone who go to see it so I don't know how
            > I'd feel if I had missed last summer.
            >

            > --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, fastyouth81 <no_reply@> wrote:
            > >
            > > interesting stuff in there, although they don't seem like they are
            > preparing to do 88drum this
            > > year.
            > >
            > > http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/boredoms

          • joseph abel
            Message 5 of 11 , May 11, 2008
              what is infinity 8,, i am a fan of yoshimi forever, but have never act met anyone who had heard of them,, please fill me in.

              scott davis <sjofarthotellet@...> wrote: sounds tits to me. infinity 8 would be different i think. plus i think they could tighten up the less than stellar aspects of 77boadrum as an event. there was plenty of space for more people, though i respect the fact that it made it better for the people that did get in.
              either way, i'll be there regardless if it does happen. whether it's in NY or the UK. if you go to the COMMONS website there's an interview with Yoshimi and she mentions London in passing,? and laughs about the possibility of 99.

              fastyouth81 wrote: well of course if you already saw you wouldn't want that experience to be recreated. but

              Message 6 of 11 , May 12, 2008
                Not to mention the extremely limited US tours of the past several
                years. Both Boredoms and Cornelius used to play in the Detroit area
                rather regularly up to a point, but now they each limit their total
                USA appearances to just a few very large (and sometimes regionally-
                clustered) cities, so neither are really expanding their audiences by
                number anymore, just playing to the existing fans. This is truly a
                shame. As opposed to (for instance) Boredoms playing Lollapalooza and
                Nirvana tours in the early '90s, when huge numbers of young rock fans
                were exposed to the group on a consistent basis. I did come across an
                older tape of Boredoms the other week, from the State Fair Arena in
                Detroit, on the Nirvana tour. The venue had/has horrible acoustics,
                so it sounds like a muffled Toho soundtrack, but the live concert was
                quite good. --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, fastyouth81
                <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > well of course if you already saw you wouldn't want that experience
                to be recreated. but
                > you are definitely in the minority as there were thousands of
                boredoms fans who couldn't
                > make it or worse who came and were shut out of the park when it
                filled up.

                > and actually, from what i've heard they wouldn't be re-doing
                77Drum. it would be a new
                > composition revolving around the theme of infinity (‡)
                >

                > -- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "jeffwinterberg"
                <jeffwinterberg@> wrote:

                > > I personally think it would cheapen the 7/7/7 thing to re-do it
                with
                > > 8/8/8. I am speaking as someone who go to see it so I don't know
                how
                > > I'd feel if I had missed last summer.
                > >

                > > --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, fastyouth81 <no_reply@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > interesting stuff in there, although they don't seem like they
                are
                > > preparing to do 88drum this
                > > > year.
                > > >
                > > > http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/boredoms

              • Joe Janecek
                Message 7 of 11 , May 13, 2008
                  >but now they each limit their total USA appearances to just a few very
                  large (and sometimes regionally-clustered) cities, so neither are
                  really expanding their audiences by number anymore, just playing to the
                  existing fans. This is truly a shame.<

                  Yes, the bigger problem is that ticket sales do not pay for the tours
                  here in the US for the international acts. Even WB, back in the day,
                  had trouble bringing a band over for a long run, as it was very
                  expensive. Now those days are certainly past, as labels won't spend the
                  cash unless they get a specific ROI- return on investment.

                  When Boredoms were on the first part of Lollapalooza 94, the only way
                  the deal could be done was if Boredoms gave up their portion of the
                  Lolla t-shirt for which every band received money. That money helped
                  alongside the funds the label also chipped in. It was a once in a
                  lifetime opportunity for Boredoms to get that slot, so it was worth it.
                  Having Kurt Cobain and similar musicians as fans certainly helped too.
                  (BTW, part 2 of that Lolla tour featured Green Day in that opening
                  slot, just as the band was getting huge - but I digress.)

                  Now, Boredoms are on Vice or Thrill Jockey (SR 9), labels that tend to
                  give little monetary tour support. Tour support just isn't in the
                  vocabulary of the indie labels, as it's rarely recouped against album
                  sales. Sadly, passion alone cannot move a band and tour bus from city
                  to city.

                  Also, their booking agent, Windish Agency, has to be very selective
                  give the available tour window the band has available. They need
                  guaranteed money that makes sense for the tour at hand. Do I wish Bore
                  could do 30 dates? Sure. But the band probably has just a few weeks in
                  reality, and yes, regionally-clustered shows make travel more
                  affordable.

                  When you mention "playing to the existing fans" - well, I disagree
                  there. It's your duty as a music fan, as a BORE fan, to pack up the
                  station wagon with your friends and make them experience Boredoms. Hey,
                  Bore made it to America for you, can't you drag some friends across
                  state lines to see them?

                  The current music business environment has changed the game for
                  marginal bands and labels, and the future remains uncertain. At least
                  America is inexpensive for most bands compared to years past with the
                  current exchange rates. Maybe more will take up the offer to come the
                  the USA.

                  cheers,
                  joe
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 13, 2008
                    Yes, it has become prohibitive for bands to make the trip physically
                    these days. I was seriously going to try for Philadelphia or DC, made
                    several direct inquiries, but venues in both cities put tickets on
                    sale extremely close to the event dates, and with my work, I had to
                    know some absolutes, like concert dates and ticket availability, to
                    be able to free up the time. Websites for both of those venues
                    finally only listed the concerts a matter of a few weeks or so before
                    the shows. Lodging in those cases would not have been a problem at
                    all, as I have close family in that region. A smaller-scale analogy
                    can be applied with the talented local musicians I know, many of whom
                    play in a cycle of venues in front of generally identical small
                    groups of fans. I do go to see them each on occasion (or when
                    grouped, as is most often, in package shows) but they're also
                    personal friends of mine, so I see them anyway and get their CDs
                    free, etc. They often see the same faces when they play because it's
                    so difficult for these musicians to get to play additional venues
                    with owners who aren't corrupt or disinterested. Because of this (in
                    part), their live audience does not really expand unless they can
                    expand their territory of coverage. A group like Boredoms has an
                    exceptional live performance approach that I believe would really
                    expand their audience to very rewarding proportions IF others could
                    be exposed to that art. That's where that investment toward
                    touring/A&R/etc. can pay off quickly. I would've seen them this year
                    if those venues had simply advertised tickets a reasonable length of
                    time before the concerts, but that has nothing to do with Boredoms,
                    just poor advertising. Even if they'd played Toronto, I would've been
                    there; maybe that could be considered next time around?--- In
                    theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, Joe Janecek <joejanecek@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    in
                    > reality, and yes, regionally-clustered shows make travel more
                    > affordable.
                    >
                    > When you mention "playing to the existing fans" - well, I disagree
                    > there. It's your duty as a music fan, as a BORE fan, to pack up the
                    > station wagon with your friends and make them experience Boredoms.
                    Hey,
                    > Bore made it to America for you, can't you drag some friends across
                    > state lines to see them?
                    >
                    > The current music business environment has changed the game for
                    > marginal bands and labels, and the future remains uncertain. At
                    least
                    > America is inexpensive for most bands compared to years past with
                    the
                    > current exchange rates. Maybe more will take up the offer to come

                  • almurphy56
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 19, 2008
                      we would all wish to see a bigger tour, but i think, given the
                      realities of touring today, boredoms have done a good job at bringing
                      in new fans, i mean, 77 last summer is a case in point. that was
                      certainly not existing boredoms fans. that was the shit to see! i came
                      up from virginia for it, and was totally blown away at the response to
                      the event. i guess we can thank this new world of internet hype and
                      blogs and shit for that. i see it as kind of bittersweet that boredoms
                      have been sucked into the blogosphere and all that, on the one hand
                      its great for expanding an audience, but of course there's all the
                      internet bullshit and short attention spans that i see all over
                      message boards (like the av club one i just read)that i hate to see my
                      favorite band getting sucked into. so i think it is the right way to
                      go to spread the word to your friends, other people, in person. the
                      internet these days is a lion's den, people's attention spans get
                      shorter by the minute.
                      also, boredoms have kind of had a zeppelin-esque approach to touring,
                      which, with fewer and more centralized shows in the states, has the
                      effect of making them more anticipated, memorable and talked-about
                      events. but yes, i agree, bad promotion squashes that approach pretty
                      quick.
                      anyway, pointless post. but it's definitely the best to bring people
                      to a show. i brought 2 of my friends to boadrum, and their heads were
                      blown 20 miles into the sky just like that.

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 29, 2008
                        Glad for your posting. I'm not opposed to traveling for an event, but
                        was just counting on the venues to advertise ticket availability more
                        than 3 or 4 weeks prior to the event itself. Typically, in the music-
                        rich Detroit area, even many small club gigs are advertised a couple
                        of months earlier, and some bigger concerts are promoted 6 months or
                        so earlier. And I'm still wondering why Boredoms couldn't ahve played
                        Toronto, which is not all that far from here, and obviously a major
                        city.-- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "almurphy56" <almurphy56@...>
                        wrote:

> [...]
                        > > > affordable.
                        > > >
                        > > > When you mention "playing to the existing fans" - well, I
                        disagree
                        > > > there. It's your duty as a music fan, as a BORE fan, to pack up
                        the
                        > > > station wagon with your friends and make them experience
                        Boredoms.
                        > > Hey,
                        > > > Bore made it to America for you, can't you drag some friends
                        across
                        > > > state lines to see them?
                        > > >
                        > > > The current music business environment has changed the game for
                        > > > marginal bands and labels, and the future remains uncertain. At
                        > > least
                        > > > America is inexpensive for most bands compared to years past
                        with
                        > > the
                        > > > current exchange rates. Maybe more will take up the offer to

                      • joejanecek
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 29, 2008
                          --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, alterego100usa <no_reply@...> wrote:

                          > And I'm still wondering why Boredoms couldn't ahve played
                          > Toronto, which is not all that far from here, and obviously a major
                          > city.

                          Ahh, good one. My guess is that it has to do with visa issues. The band has to pay someone
                          in the US to process their work permits and visas, so they can earn money legally from the
                          music they play in the US. Not certain about the Canadian rules, but there's probably some
                          similarity.

                          Point is, the extra cost of any visa or work permits required probably doesn't make a Toronto
                          gig likely, unless they could do 3-4 or more Canadian shows, and being Canada, those would
                          be quite far apart, probably. Plus, customs clearance of the gear into Canada, then back into
                          the US, could add to the headaches.

                          cheers,
                          joe