Re: OT: Japan Info shows/stores

  • choan1970
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 10, 2007
      Depends what you're into...

      I'm not really aware of anything that covers the full spectrum of this
      list music, particularly not in English.

      The Alchemy Records site has a useful list of shows by their bands
      some of which at least have the band names listed in English:
      http://www.kt.rim.or.jp/~jojo_h/ar/p_artists/index.html

      For more electro-acoustic/improv stuff, the IMfJ site is a godsend:
      http://www.japanimprov.com/schedule/index.html

      Otherwise you're down to checking the sites of individual clubs,
      labels and bands. Some of the more useful:

      Keiji Haino http://poisonpie.com/sounds/haino/text/hklive.html
      AMT http://www.acidmothers.com/Cgi-bin/live/_frame/f_en.html
      Ruins http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~ruins/eng/magaibutsu_eng.html

      Bears (Osaka) http://home.att.ne.jp/orange/bears/
      UFO Club (Tokyo) http://www.ufoclub.jp/

      For record stores, the following guide is several years old now but
      still very useful: http://www.ongakuweb.com/tokyo_guide/index.html
      Disk Union and Tower Records in Shinjuku (there are multiple other
      Disk Unions around town too), Fujiyama in Sangenjaya, Modern Music in
      Meidaimae. If you're hooking up with anyone who can read Japanese and
      you REALLY want to go to town on the record shopping, then pick up the
      amazing annual Record Map book. 450 pages listing every worthwhile
      secondhand record shop in the whole country:
      http://tinyurl.com/2c9lek