OT: Japan Info shows/stores

  • brian e
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 10, 2007
      Greetings, I'm going to Japan in a couple weeks and was wondering if
      there were good sites to check for shows in Tokyo and Osaka. Also if
      anyone has any good record store recommendations that would also be
      greatly appreciated. There is a Merzbow show in Osaka that I found out
      about through his site but I have to be in Tokyo that day, I also plan
      to go to the zeni geva/melt banana/ruins show in Tokyo. Any help/input
      is greatly appreciated.
    • choan1970
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 10, 2007
        Depends what you're into...

        I'm not really aware of anything that covers the full spectrum of this
        list music, particularly not in English.

        The Alchemy Records site has a useful list of shows by their bands
        some of which at least have the band names listed in English:
        http://www.kt.rim.or.jp/~jojo_h/ar/p_artists/index.html

        For more electro-acoustic/improv stuff, the IMfJ site is a godsend:
        http://www.japanimprov.com/schedule/index.html

        Otherwise you're down to checking the sites of individual clubs,
        labels and bands. Some of the more useful:

        Keiji Haino http://poisonpie.com/sounds/haino/text/hklive.html
        AMT http://www.acidmothers.com/Cgi-bin/live/_frame/f_en.html
        Ruins http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~ruins/eng/magaibutsu_eng.html

        Bears (Osaka) http://home.att.ne.jp/orange/bears/
        UFO Club (Tokyo) http://www.ufoclub.jp/

        For record stores, the following guide is several years old now but
        still very useful: http://www.ongakuweb.com/tokyo_guide/index.html
        Disk Union and Tower Records in Shinjuku (there are multiple other
        Disk Unions around town too), Fujiyama in Sangenjaya, Modern Music in
        Meidaimae. If you're hooking up with anyone who can read Japanese and
        you REALLY want to go to town on the record shopping, then pick up the
        amazing annual Record Map book. 450 pages listing every worthwhile
        secondhand record shop in the whole country:
        http://tinyurl.com/2c9lek