Re: [the boredoms] new yorker article

  • Idolcrash
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 8, 2006
      Sonic Youth invited them to Lollapalooza that year, which they played,
      along with SY.

      Steve Petermeier wrote:

      > Hey all!
      >
      > I just got my hands on the Aug. 7 & 14, 2006 issue of
      > The New Yorker. It has an unexpected, but decent
      > article on the Boredoms (pp. 90-91). Has anybody else
      > seen it?
      >
      > Here's a link:
      >
      > http://www.newyorker.com/critics/content/articles/060807crmu_music
      > <http://www.newyorker.com/critics/content/articles/060807crmu_music>
      >
      > One mistake I noticed is the idea that Sonic Youth
      > brought them "on a tour of the United States in 1992."
      > I don't remember them touring with SY, but I do
      > remember them touring with Nirvana, which is
      > mentioned. Am I right or wrong? Or did they tour
      > with both?
      >
      > The print version also has a cool photo of the
      > boredoms by Ethan Levitas.
      >
      > There's also a good article on Samuel Beckett, and a
      > great photo of him by Jane Brown.
      >
      > peace, love and understanding (never give up!)
      >
      > Steve Petermeier
      > no man's land
      > minneapolis, mn
      > usa

    • gygax
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 8, 2006
        Boredoms briefly toured the USA with Sonic Youth in
        1992. Nirvana, Mudhoney, Pavement, Dinosaur Jr, and
        JSBX also opened up for Sonic Youth that year
        depending on the location.

        Boredoms did not play Lollapalooza with Sonic Youth.
        Boredoms played the first half of the Lollapalooza
        tour in 1994, Sonic Youth played (headlined actually)
        the following year in 1995.

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 13, 2006
          Yes, I saw Boredoms on the Clarkston MI stop of Lollapalooza (and
          audio-recorded it); the buzz on that alleged that the group was
          involved because Nirvana had initially been slotted for the tour and
          wanted Boredoms involved, too. They were good that day, but my beer-
          addled dumbass friends missed them. Oh, well. Cobain's recurrent
          crises and his later loss of brain tissue were presumably related to
          Nirvana not being on the L train that year. However, Boredoms did
          open for Nirvana on tour; I saw then in Detroit in the truly
          barnlike State Fair Arena in late November (unheated building with a
          dirt floor, no less; promoters are often cheap bastards). For some
          unknown childish reason, throwing shoes at the stage was the hit of
          the season with the children--I use the term in scorn; it refers in
          this context to teens who act like fools, generally--in the
          audience, and at one point Cobain was so pissed off that he threw
          one kiddie shoe at the stage and it bounced about 20 feet in the air
          (try this: you probably can't do it). Boredoms weren't very good
          that time, it was WOW2 noise, low on their evolutionary scale. Sonic
          Youth was pretty good on the Lolla tour they played, far better than
          that trashy band Hole (what total crap). I had seen SY open for Neil
          Young (!!!) in the early '90s somewhere, too... --- In