What Is This!?!?

  • huntedwumpuskaplan
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 17, 2006
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000803CNO/sr=1-11/qid=1155844502/
      ref=sr_1_11/104-3054367-8883927?ie=UTF8&s=music

      Exciting, but I can't wait 19 years! And they'd practically be in their 60's. Strange, doesn't
      seem real.
    • milkbeardo
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7, 2006
        I just found this page. Although it just seems to muddy the waters, i
        had no idea there wasw a boredoms from 1971!

        http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/6682807/a/Untitled.htm

        --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "huntedwumpuskaplan"
        <huntedwumpuskaplan@...> wrote:

        > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000803CNO/sr=1-11/qid=1155844502/
        > ref=sr_1_11/104-3054367-8883927?ie=UTF8&s=music
        >
        > Exciting, but I can't wait 19 years! And they'd practically be in
        their 60's. Strange, doesn't
        > seem real.

      • Steve Petermeier
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 8, 2006
          Hey all!

          I just got my hands on the Aug. 7 & 14, 2006 issue of
          The New Yorker. It has an unexpected, but decent
          article on the Boredoms (pp. 90-91). Has anybody else
          seen it?

          Here's a link:

          http://www.newyorker.com/critics/content/articles/060807crmu_music

          One mistake I noticed is the idea that Sonic Youth
          brought them "on a tour of the United States in 1992."
          I don't remember them touring with SY, but I do
          remember them touring with Nirvana, which is
          mentioned. Am I right or wrong? Or did they tour
          with both?

          The print version also has a cool photo of the
          boredoms by Ethan Levitas.

          There's also a good article on Samuel Beckett, and a
          great photo of him by Jane Brown.

          peace, love and understanding (never give up!)

          Steve Petermeier
          no man's land
          minneapolis, mn
          usa

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Idolcrash
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 8, 2006
            Sonic Youth invited them to Lollapalooza that year, which they played,
            along with SY.

            Steve Petermeier wrote:

            > Hey all!
            >
            > I just got my hands on the Aug. 7 & 14, 2006 issue of
            > The New Yorker. It has an unexpected, but decent
            > article on the Boredoms (pp. 90-91). Has anybody else
            > seen it?
            >
            > Here's a link:
            >
            > http://www.newyorker.com/critics/content/articles/060807crmu_music
            > <http://www.newyorker.com/critics/content/articles/060807crmu_music>
            >
            > One mistake I noticed is the idea that Sonic Youth
            > brought them "on a tour of the United States in 1992."
            > I don't remember them touring with SY, but I do
            > remember them touring with Nirvana, which is
            > mentioned. Am I right or wrong? Or did they tour
            > with both?
            >
            > The print version also has a cool photo of the
            > boredoms by Ethan Levitas.
            >
            > There's also a good article on Samuel Beckett, and a
            > great photo of him by Jane Brown.
            >
            > peace, love and understanding (never give up!)
            >
            > Steve Petermeier
            > no man's land
            > minneapolis, mn
            > usa

          • gygax
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 8, 2006
              Boredoms briefly toured the USA with Sonic Youth in
              1992. Nirvana, Mudhoney, Pavement, Dinosaur Jr, and
              JSBX also opened up for Sonic Youth that year
              depending on the location.

              Boredoms did not play Lollapalooza with Sonic Youth.
              Boredoms played the first half of the Lollapalooza
              tour in 1994, Sonic Youth played (headlined actually)
              the following year in 1995.

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 13, 2006
                Yes, I saw Boredoms on the Clarkston MI stop of Lollapalooza (and
                audio-recorded it); the buzz on that alleged that the group was
                involved because Nirvana had initially been slotted for the tour and
                wanted Boredoms involved, too. They were good that day, but my beer-
                addled dumbass friends missed them. Oh, well. Cobain's recurrent
                crises and his later loss of brain tissue were presumably related to
                Nirvana not being on the L train that year. However, Boredoms did
                open for Nirvana on tour; I saw then in Detroit in the truly
                barnlike State Fair Arena in late November (unheated building with a
                dirt floor, no less; promoters are often cheap bastards). For some
                unknown childish reason, throwing shoes at the stage was the hit of
                the season with the children--I use the term in scorn; it refers in
                this context to teens who act like fools, generally--in the
                audience, and at one point Cobain was so pissed off that he threw
                one kiddie shoe at the stage and it bounced about 20 feet in the air
                (try this: you probably can't do it). Boredoms weren't very good
                that time, it was WOW2 noise, low on their evolutionary scale. Sonic
                Youth was pretty good on the Lolla tour they played, far better than
                that trashy band Hole (what total crap). I had seen SY open for Neil
                Young (!!!) in the early '90s somewhere, too... --- In