ooioo/ taiga

  • jeffwinterberg
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 8, 2006
      for all those falling all over themselves to praise this album, i have to say that i think you are
      way off. not only is there a large scale rehashing of a lot of their earlier material(riffs
      resurfacing from older records), it just seems to go nowhere. i find the album to be relying
      way too much on yelps and blips and bleeps ala afrirampo (i think afrirampo are terrible,
      especially live). when feather float and gold and green came out they were these huge steps
      forward but i find this record to be a big step back toward a safe spot compared to kila kila
      kila. i liked that album enough but it still never kept me like the previously mentioned cds.
      maybe it will grow on me over time but i may abandon it before it gets the chance to.
      i love boredoms and ooioo and i have for quite a long time, this stuff is really sub-par in my
      opinion. all this after shelling out $25-$30 to get it sent from japan too.
    • donny van zandt
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 9, 2006
        Goddamn them for making something you didn't like.

        Give me your Taiga, I'll trade it to you for my second copy of Green and Gold. You can just listen to that twice.

        grin

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 9, 2006
          donny,
          pardon me, i didn't understand that this forum was only for praise. it will be very
          interesting to read people constantly fawning over every boredoms related release.
          thanks for your help.
          -jeff

          --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, donny van zandt <oldbenway@...> wrote:

          > Goddamn them for making something you didn't like.
          >
          > Give me your Taiga, I'll trade it to you for my second copy of Green and Gold. You can
          just listen to that twice.

          > grin

        • James Osborne

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 9, 2006
              Was just a bit of a joke. But I think dismissing it as squeaky and bleepy like afrirampo is odd, as the trajectory from G&G --> Feather Float --> Kila Kila Kila (and their recent live stuff) leads right to Taiga. I also think this really tips its hat to OOIOO s/t in the process.

              I like that OOIOO is a bit like a musical tree, and replays its own songs a few times. I also really enjoy the noise, I thought Kila Kila Kila was a bit too soft.

              Complain all you want, but a lot of us here really like this record, and you said that we were 'off the mark.' I think it;s just that ome of us enjoy the noise and boredomsey-mess that OOIOO can be, some don't. Doesn't make us wrong. We just have different tastes.

              And James, I couldn't agree with you more. I have been waiting for years to see the boredoms, and walked out of the philly show halfway through after seeing the rehashed drum circle. I think OOIOO is moving in a direction at least, and they are a lot more interesting to me lately than the Boredoms (I thought Seadrum /HoS was amazing, though--). At least OOIOO is moving in a direction and creating new material.

              Man, this is gonna get me crucified on the boredoms list.

              -d

              pardon me, i didn't understand that this forum was only for praise. it will be very
              interesting to read people constantly fawning over every boredoms related release.
              thanks for your help.
              -jeff

              --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, donny van zandt <oldbenway@...> wrote:

              > Goddamn them for making something you didn't like.
              >
              > Give me your Taiga, I'll trade it to you for my second copy of Green and Gold. You can
              just listen to that twice.

              > grin

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • domsbore
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 10, 2006
                youre right in that it will probably grow on you.
                it seems a bit daft to say that you might not give it the chance to
                grow on you any more.....all the best albums take ages to grow on me,
                and i give them the chance they deserve because i can usualy tell if
                they will or not.
                from what you say, it seems that you already realise that this album
                has more to it and you know it can grow on you, so why say that you
                are not gonna give it the chance?
                the first time i listened to it i liked the songs i knew from seeing
                them live a few years ago, but wasnt as keen on the rest. but after
                seeing them live a few weeks ago, i can really see that this album is
                well worth listening to again and again until you get into it.
                i had the same thing with kilakilakila. it took me ages to appreciate
                it fully. maybe your problem is you are too quick to jump to
                conclusions. thats a very bad way for a music fan to be. or if im
                wrong then my appologies, but i think you already said yourself that
                you didnt give it the chance it deserves.

                the afrirampo comment makes me crazy. i cant see any similarities
                between ooioo and afrirampo, ever.
                and you are the first person ive heard say that they hate afrirampo.

                --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "jeffwinterberg"
                <jeffwinterberg@...> wrote:

                > for all those falling all over themselves to praise this album, i
                have to say that i think you are
                > way off. not only is there a large scale rehashing of a lot of their
                earlier material(riffs
                > resurfacing from older records), it just seems to go nowhere. i find
                the album to be relying
                > way too much on yelps and blips and bleeps ala afrirampo (i think
                afrirampo are terrible,
                > especially live). when feather float and gold and green came out
                they were these huge steps
                > forward but i find this record to be a big step back toward a safe
                spot compared to kila kila
                > kila. i liked that album enough but it still never kept me like the
                previously mentioned cds.
                > maybe it will grow on me over time but i may abandon it before it
                gets the chance to.
                > i love boredoms and ooioo and i have for quite a long time, this
                stuff is really sub-par in my
                > opinion. all this after shelling out $25-$30 to get it sent from
                japan too.

              • jeffwinterberg
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 10, 2006
                  i think i am replying to a bunch of posts at once here. let me preface my comments here
                  by stating that i am probably the last person to dismiss ooioo/ boredoms releases lightly. i
                  flew from san diego to washington d.c. in 1994 primarily to catch the boredoms there as i
                  had missed the other shows that year. i also send away to japan for each new release as
                  they come out because i cannot wait for them to come out here. i have also consistently
                  enjoyed every turn they have made stylistically over the years. so if i admit i don't like one
                  of the releases it is probably breaking my heart to say so. all that being said, the last time i
                  saw ooioo, the last new york show, i liked it but thought the previous visit to the u.s was
                  far better(2001). the comment that the new lp is a hat tip to the s/t cd may be part of it. i
                  liked that record when it come out but in retrospect i think the next 2 were much more
                  engaging. i think that is what is lacking with the new one. i think it lacks the contradictory
                  beauty and coherence that the "boredomsey-mess" era of boredoms achieved. i don't fault
                  anyone for liking it, like away, i am just presenting and alternate opinion of the lp. fine if i
                  am in the minority and i hope ooioo sells a ton of them because i think yoshimi is great. i
                  just think it is an inferior effort on their part. oh well.

                  as for afrirampo, ok, i realize this is a boredoms forum but i have to sound off. i
                  understand they are really amazingly nice humans, they let a good friend of mine crash in
                  one of their apartments in osaka like a year ago. as a band i think they have nothing to say
                  musically or otherwise, it is all shtick. i saw them when they toured with lightning bolt and
                  i walked out halfway through. boredoms' japanese-ness was always effortless and natural.
                  afrirampo came onstage and chanted "we are so cute" in heavy japanese accents over and
                  over. they rely far too heavily in the "crazy, cute japanese girl" stereotype for me to believe
                  it. it is much too self aware for me to swallow. if you want a japanese girl band, listen to
                  nissenenmondai (see them live) or a band i saw called squimaoto, from kobe. anyway, i
                  recognize my minority status on this topic as well, i frankly think most new music is
                  sucking badly these days anyway.

                  --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, domsbore <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > youre right in that it will probably grow on you.
                  > it seems a bit daft to say that you might not give it the chance to
                  > grow on you any more.....all the best albums take ages to grow on me,
                  > and i give them the chance they deserve because i can usualy tell if
                  > they will or not.
                  > from what you say, it seems that you already realise that this album
                  > has more to it and you know it can grow on you, so why say that you
                  > are not gonna give it the chance?
                  > the first time i listened to it i liked the songs i knew from seeing
                  > them live a few years ago, but wasnt as keen on the rest. but after
                  > seeing them live a few weeks ago, i can really see that this album is
                  > well worth listening to again and again until you get into it.
                  > i had the same thing with kilakilakila. it took me ages to appreciate
                  > it fully. maybe your problem is you are too quick to jump to
                  > conclusions. thats a very bad way for a music fan to be. or if im
                  > wrong then my appologies, but i think you already said yourself that
                  > you didnt give it the chance it deserves.
                  >
                  > the afrirampo comment makes me crazy. i cant see any similarities
                  > between ooioo and afrirampo, ever.
                  > and you are the first person ive heard say that they hate afrirampo.
                  >

                  > --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "jeffwinterberg"
                  > <jeffwinterberg@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > for all those falling all over themselves to praise this album, i
                  > have to say that i think you are
                  > > way off. not only is there a large scale rehashing of a lot of their
                  > earlier material(riffs
                  > > resurfacing from older records), it just seems to go nowhere. i find
                  > the album to be relying
                  > > way too much on yelps and blips and bleeps ala afrirampo (i think
                  > afrirampo are terrible,
                  > > especially live). when feather float and gold and green came out
                  > they were these huge steps
                  > > forward but i find this record to be a big step back toward a safe
                  > spot compared to kila kila
                  > > kila. i liked that album enough but it still never kept me like the
                  > previously mentioned cds.
                  > > maybe it will grow on me over time but i may abandon it before it
                  > gets the chance to.
                  > > i love boredoms and ooioo and i have for quite a long time, this
                  > stuff is really sub-par in my
                  > > opinion. all this after shelling out $25-$30 to get it sent from
                  > japan too.

                • Arthur Gadney
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 11, 2006
                    >if you want a japanese girl band, listen to
                    >nissenenmondai (see them live) or a band i saw called squimaoto, from kobe.

                    Never heard about Squimaoto before. Did they release anything?

                    I'd love to see Nisennenmondai live, but doubt I will get the chance. What
                    about their albums? Is the new one, "Rock-on" (or something) good?

                    On the topic of japanese girlbands, what happened to COA? I can hardly find
                    any information on the web. Are they still active? Any recommendations for
                    their later CDs? I only have the first one.

                    Thanks
                  • donny van zandt
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 11, 2006
                      Might as well pony up these two, Ni Hao! and Limited Express (Has Gone?) have really been squeaking it up on my iPod lately--both on Tzadik, and I think they share a member. Man, wtf is in the water in Osaka?

                      Will have to search for Nisennenmondai and Squimaoto, thanks for the recommendations!

                      -d

                      >if you want a japanese girl band, listen to
                      >nissenenmondai (see them live) or a band i saw called squimaoto, from kobe.

                      Never heard about Squimaoto before. Did they release anything?

                      I'd love to see Nisennenmondai live, but doubt I will get the chance. What
                      about their albums? Is the new one, "Rock-on" (or something) good?

                      On the topic of japanese girlbands, what happened to COA? I can hardly find
                      any information on the web. Are they still active? Any recommendations for
                      their later CDs? I only have the first one.

                      Thanks

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • dcmitchum
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 15, 2006
                        If the couple of mp3s you can find via the Hype Machine are
                        representative of Taiga, Jeff is right --this stuff is not even in
                        the ballpark with Feather float or Gold & Green --drums, yelping,
                        chants>> i can get that lots of places.
                        I'd like to hear DFA remix it though.
                        Cant imagine spending money on an Afrirampo record, but even if it is
                        a schtick, they are a joy to behold live

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 19, 2006
                          Criticism and praise are often interrelated, and stuff peripherally
                          related to Boredoms has been posted here for years. As far as
                          criticizing releases, I've pointed out my definite distaste for most
                          of WOW2 (and the live performance on that tour), though I love a lot
                          of other Boredoms stuff. The main thing in the group is avoidance of
                          Tourette's-style language and preventing sleazy would-be merchants
                          from attempting to use this group to sell their stuff. And
                          maintaining some semblance of relevance in postings.--- In