Re: Super Roots 7 (& 8)?

    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 22, 2006
      super roots 8 is available from forced exposure.

      --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "wijte" <wijte@y...> wrote:

      > Hi folks,
      >
      > Sorry if this is a topic that's already been discussed (I'm new
      > here, this is my first post), but... is there any possible way to get
      > Super Roots 7 and/or 8 (especially 7)? Is Ebay the only possibility for
      > these two releases?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Andres

    • whizzer1271
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 22, 2006
        --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "wijte" <wijte@y...> wrote:

        > Hi folks,
        >
        > Sorry if this is a topic that's already been discussed (I'm new
        > here, this is my first post), but... is there any possible way to
        get
        > Super Roots 7 and/or 8 (especially 7)? Is Ebay the only possibility
        for
        > these two releases?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Andres

        hey andres. i have a super roots 7 for sale at amazon right now.
        it's a little pricey but they aren't very common so......
      • steve matis
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 22, 2006
          dude, i'm not one to start shit with people, but what's the deal with your ridiculous price? $52? i'm sorry, but that's a down right rotten price. i hate to say it, but if you were a real fan of the music, you wouldn't rip other fans off by asking for so much. if you sold yr copy on ebay and you started the opening price at $5 or something and it got that high, i wouldn't care, because it's the people who are interested in the music that are determining the final price, but there is truly nothing more despicable than when sellers of rare music price gouge the fans out of every single dollar they have in order to fatten their own pockets. that's fucking greedy and it's taking advantage of loyal music fans who are in search of music that they can't just buy at best buy.

          whizzer1271 <whizzer1271@...> wrote: hey andres. i have a super roots 7 for sale at amazon right now.
          it's a little pricey but they aren't very common so......

        • Robert Cantero
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 22, 2006
            Assuming your argument is credible, and I don't think it is...

            Perhaps the seller paid $52 for it second-hand and is trying to
            recoup his cost?

            On Jan 22, 2006, at 5:28 PM, steve matis wrote:

            > dude, i'm not one to start shit with people, but what's the deal
            > with your ridiculous price? $52? i'm sorry, but that's a down
            > right rotten price. i hate to say it, but if you were a real fan
            > of the music, you wouldn't rip other fans off by asking for so
            > much. if you sold yr copy on ebay and you started the opening
            > price at $5 or something and it got that high, i wouldn't care,
            > because it's the people who are interested in the music that are
            > determining the final price, but there is truly nothing more
            > despicable than when sellers of rare music price gouge the fans
            > out of every single dollar they have in order to fatten their own
            > pockets. that's fucking greedy and it's taking advantage of loyal
            > music fans who are in search of music that they can't just buy at
            > best buy.
          • steve matis
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 22, 2006
              what argument of mine is flawed? that there is something wrong with price gouging people?

              people who sell rare music can easily make their livelihood by selling their items at legitimate prices. for example, rrrecords always sells all sorts of rare things on ebay and they always start their prices low and let the people buying the music determine the final price. there is NOTHING wrong with that. there is also nothign wrong with wanting to recoup your 'loses,' but if you end up always trying to break even, you'll just be in the red with a bunch of awesome records that no one will be able to afford. even $30 woudln't have been THAT much to ask, seeing as how SR7 was an only available as an import, but still, it's the general thought that counts.

              if this guy's edition of SUPERROOTS 7 was signed by the band and came with something stupid and collectable (like limited edition cardboard underwear worn by eye during their 1992 tour), i could understand the higher asking price, but i still think its wrong to ask for so much money on such a mass manufactured album. "super roots 7" was not some arcane, unique album limited to 3 copies handmade in the mountains of tibet by blind monks. it was a mass produced product that was available WIDELY all over the place, not just in japan. it is harder to find now, but its not impossible. you either have to be patient, or in this case: RICH.

              sorry that i am trying to defend my right as a purchaser of music to not get ripped off.

            • Idolcrash
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 22, 2006
                "(like limited edition cardboard underwear worn by eye during their
                1992 tour), i could understand the higher asking price"

                Jeeze, I paid at least 3 grand for the cardboard undies alone :/
              • Robert Cantero
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 22, 2006
                  On Jan 22, 2006, at 6:02 PM, steve matis wrote:

                  > what argument of mine is flawed? that there is something wrong with
                  > price gouging people?

                  As my last reply considered, is the seller price gouging if he paid
                  an already gouged price for the item?

                  > people who sell rare music can easily make their livelihood by
                  > selling their items at legitimate prices. for example, rrrecords
                  > always sells all sorts of rare things on ebay and they always
                  > start their prices low and let the people buying the music
                  > determine the final price. there is NOTHING wrong with that.
                  > there is also nothign wrong with wanting to recoup your 'loses,'
                  > but if you end up always trying to break even, you'll just be in
                  > the red with a bunch of awesome records that no one will be able
                  > to afford. even $30 woudln't have been THAT much to ask, seeing as
                  > how SR7 was an only available as an import, but still, it's the
                  > general thought that counts.

                  My impression is that this seller is just a dude selling a record,
                  not a dealer. No matter.

                  > if this guy's edition of SUPERROOTS 7 was signed by the band and
                  > came with something stupid and collectable (like limited edition
                  > cardboard underwear worn by eye during their 1992 tour), i could
                  > understand the higher asking price, but i still think its wrong to
                  > ask for so much money on such a mass manufactured album. "super
                  > roots 7" was not some arcane, unique album limited to 3 copies
                  > handmade in the mountains of tibet by blind monks. it was a mass
                  > produced product that was available WIDELY all over the place, not
                  > just in japan. it is harder to find now, but its not impossible.
                  > you either have to be patient, or in this case: RICH.

                  I agree, it's unfortunate that items like this tend to sell for such
                  a high price. And yes, it'd be great if everyone was willing to sell
                  everything for a reasonable price that everyone agrees on. Of course,
                  it doesn't work like that. Suppose this guy sells his Super Roots 7
                  for $20, probably less than what he paid to import it (but it is a
                  used item, after all), and plans to use this money to buy, say, Rilo
                  Kiley's The Initial Friend EP. This EP routinely sells well over $100
                  - he's not likely to find someone as generous as he was with his
                  Boredoms EP. If he's going to be forced to pay top dollar for an item
                  he wants, is it so wrong to charge top dollar for an item he's
                  selling? So while it's not something I'd do, I can understand why
                  others would [sell their CDs for market-inflated prices].

                  > sorry that i am trying to defend my right as a purchaser of
                  > music to not get ripped off.

                  Value is subjective and most objects have their price. Perhaps Super
                  Roots 7, as meticulously calculated by the seller, is worth exactly
                  $52. To you, it's worth $30. Who's right?

                  All in all, I can see why a person would sell a rare CD for a high
                  price just as I can see why a person would be upset that this person
                  is selling their rare CD for a high price. Today, however, thanks to
                  the Intarweb, you can essentially hear any piece of music you want at
                  zero cost. So, for someone so concerned with the music, and who's a
                  "real fan," it seems a bit contradictory to blast another user based
                  on your materialistic wants. Yes yes, you want the actual CD, the
                  cover art, disc art, etc. etc. I'm in the same boat.

                  I donno, this whole thing seems silly to get worked up about. It
                  sucks, but the music can still be heard relatively easily so....yeah.
                  The end.
                • steve matis
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 22, 2006
                    > As my last reply considered, is the seller price > gouging if he paid
                    > an already gouged price for the item?

                    YES he is price gouging by asking for such a high price. it is irrelevant to everyone involved except himself as to how much he paid for it; its how much he is ASKING for that determines the rate of gouging.

                    it shouldn't matter whether you find nice sellers or asshole sellers, it the whole over all mentality that one person can ask for such a high price initailly that bothered me so much. like i said, its totally different if the people who want the thing want to spend that much on something. it's their money, they can spend it however they want.

                    when i sold my boredoms VCN boxset, i sold it with no reserve and started the opening bid at $5.00! if somehow, the final price would have only gotten to like $20 bucks, i woudl have sucked it up and sold the greatest deal to someone else at my own loss. but thats only because i am an honest and idealistic person. (also, i realize that this is an uphill swim for me)

                    > If he's going to be forced to pay top dollar for > an item
                    > he wants, is it so wrong to charge top dollar for > an item he's
                    > selling?

                    YES. it is wrong. you can let the person who is intersted in buying the thing determine how much they want to pay for it. thats the RIGHT THING to do. jesus, i feel like i am some kind of communist, but what the hell happened to just doing the right thing for the people's sake? if a collector wants to pay that much, i'm not stopping them, but i am going to be pissed at the seller, especially the seller that ONLY buys rare things because they want to sell them back for higher prices to people. that's just a wrong way to make money. that's dishonest.

                    > Today, however, thanks to the Intarweb, you can
                    > essentially hear any piece of music you want at
                    > zero cost. So, for someone so concerned with the > music, and who's a "real fan," it seems a bit
                    > contradictory to blast another user based
                    > on your materialistic wants.

                    my materialistic wants? huh? i am angry at a seller for gouging. i don't want anything besides having the chance to point out the fact that asking for $52 for superroots 7 IS ACTUALLY price gouging.

                    > It sucks, but the music can still be heard
                    > relatively easily so....yeah.
                    > The end.

                    yeah, well, i'm not going to argue with that...

                  • Robert Cantero
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 22, 2006
                      > my materialistic wants? huh? i am angry at a seller for gouging.
                      > i don't want anything besides having the chance to point out the
                      > fact that asking for $52 for superroots 7 IS ACTUALLY price gouging.

                      Materialistic wants: the CD. Your primary concern in this case is NOT
                      the music, but the actual CD. Does that make sense? He's
                      materialistic in the sense that he wants cash dolla dollas for his
                      CD, and you for wanting the CD at all. The music comes second. But I
                      don't think that was your point at all. Don't reply to this part.

                      When you sold your VCN boxset, you were almost guaranteed top dollar
                      for it. Yeah, you're not SETTING the price, but is it really any
                      different than me selling the same item for your closing price in a
                      store setting? If you were concerned with being an "honest and
                      idealistic person," you'd have listed your item with a retail cost
                      buy it now. This is what I did with a Rhys Chatham boxset I sold on
                      eBay - I could easily have sold it for $70+, but listed it with a buy
                      it now of $40. I'm better than you.

                      > It sucks, but the music can still be heard
                      > relatively easily so....yeah.
                      > The end.

                      yeah, well, i'm not going to argue with that...

                      Hurrah!
                    • steve matis
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 22, 2006
                        > This is what I did with a Rhys Chatham boxset I sold > on
                        > eBay - I could easily have sold it for $70+, but
                        > listed it with a buy
                        > it now of $40. I'm better than you.

                        i was going to argue some more with you, but i am laughing too hard at the line.

                        i guess in the words of ron burgundy, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

                        and the reason i didnt use buy it now price was because ebay gets a bigger cut of the final price that way. fuck that shit.

                        this conversation is kaput. we'll have to continue it in real life in case we ever meet face to face. i live in texas.

                      • Robert Cantero
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 22, 2006
                          I live in California. I'll meet you in AZ, swords or daggers??

                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 22, 2006
                            I live in California. I'll meet you in AZ, swords or daggers??
                            tempe it is. fuck weapons, i'm bringin' 10,00 watt JBL speakers, some earplugs and and a cd player with METAL MACHINE MUSIC inside it.

                          • Robert Cantero
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 22, 2006
                              I've heard Merzbow - I have MMM immunity!

                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 22, 2006
                                > I've heard Merzbow - I have MMM immunity!
                                DUDE, i've fucking SEEN merzbow and he blew two speakers and still kept going. so therefore, i'm, uh, well....probably just annoying people on the boredoms yahoo list, but no one ever posts that much anyway, so...

                              • Robert Cantero
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 22, 2006
                                  Shit man, I saw Merzbow too! At Arthurfest! But he didn't blow any
                                  speakers.

                                  You've won this round!

                                  On Jan 22, 2006, at 8:08 PM, steve matis wrote:

                                  > > I've heard Merzbow - I have MMM immunity!
                                  > DUDE, i've fucking SEEN merzbow and he blew two speakers and
                                  > still kept going. so therefore, i'm, uh, well....probably just
                                  > annoying people on the boredoms yahoo list, but no one ever posts
                                  > that much anyway, so...
                                • steve matis
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 22, 2006
                                    Shit man, I saw Merzbow too! At Arthurfest! But he didn't blow any
                                    speakers.

                                    BEST FRIENDS 4 LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                  • donny van zandt
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 23, 2006
                                      Holy crap I can;t believe my inbiox was full of THIS.
                                      New guy, just download it, you'll never find it for
                                      less than $50. Who can feel bad because the Boredoms
                                      won't get a cut from the used CD sale anyways.

                                      I could go on about how music profiteers will have a
                                      special place in hell, but I used that argument up in
                                      the sun city girls group. And forget it, he will
                                      (hopefully) never get $52 for that CD. And if he does,
                                      the idiot who paid $52 for 3 remixed not-so-great
                                      songs deserves to get ripped off.

                                      ___
                                      | |
                                      | |
                                      |o|
                                      .' '.
                                      / o \
                                      :____o__:
                                      '._____.'

                                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                                    • Idolcrash
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 23, 2006
                                        I just wanted to note that earlier this morning I caught the records for
                                        sale together on eBay, with the current price (as of this morning) at 17
                                        USD.
                                      • radiationsmiles
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 23, 2006
                                          hey man the second song on super roots 7 is amazing
                                        • steve matis
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jan 23, 2006
                                            SR7 is probably the best overall one.

                                            SR1 is like a dinky single. SR2 is only valuable to collectors. SR3 is probably my favorite one (krautpunk anyone?). SR5 is just really really loud, although i enjoy that one as well. SR6 has some really awesome moments, but its really uneven. SR7 is like pure energy to me. you put that one on and go bike riding, you can outpedal a ferrrari. SR8 is probably the most pointless one actually, even though i really like the yann tomita remix a lot. it's the only one that just really doesn't feel like a boredoms release at all.

                                            radiationsmiles <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: hey man the second song on super roots 7 is amazing

                                          • Bryan Reynolds
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 23, 2006
                                              SR8 is good as hell.
                                              everyone please get it.

                                              steve matis <istvanmatis@...> wrote:
                                              SR7 is probably the best overall one.

                                              SR1 is like a dinky single. SR2 is only valuable to collectors. SR3 is probably my favorite one (krautpunk anyone?). SR5 is just really really loud, although i enjoy that one as well. SR6 has some really awesome moments, but its really uneven. SR7 is like pure energy to me. you put that one on and go bike riding, you can outpedal a ferrrari. SR8 is probably the most pointless one actually, even though i really like the yann tomita remix a lot. it's the only one that just really doesn't feel like a boredoms release at all.

                                              radiationsmiles <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: hey man the second song on super roots 7 is amazing

                                              Japan apartment Japan hotel reservation Japan cell phone rental Japanese translation Japanese incense Japan calling card

                                            • whizzer1271
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jan 24, 2006
                                                --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, Idolcrash <idolcrash@g...> wrote:

                                                > I just wanted to note that earlier this morning I caught the records
                                                for
                                                > sale together on eBay, with the current price (as of this morning)
                                                at 17
                                                > USD.

                                                i don't see a superroots 7 currently available on ebay. i see 8 go
                                                for around 20.