Re: [the boredoms] RIP China Nishimura & DMBQ & Seiichi Yamamoto Band

  • gygax
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 6, 2005
      This is very sad indeed, she was extremely active in
      the music scene all over Japan, from this DMBQ tour to
      the Shonen Knife tour of the US 6 months ago not to
      mention dozens of shows in Japan with her
      sideprojects.

      Boredoms fans may recall she played drums with Seiichi
      Yamamoto on two of his most recent albums, including
      the very awesome "Crown Of Fuzzy Groove". She toured
      Japan in his band in 2003 and I was lucky enough to
      see them at BOA-Fest opening for Jaki Leibezeit with
      DJ EY3. Her performance was really incredible, my
      friend in Tokyo even wrote me today to remind me that
      after the show I told him that she was as great as
      Yoshiko from OoioO (who China replaced in DMBQ) which
      is high praise.

      At the very least she followed her dreams and was able
      to share music with many people all over the world.
      Rest In Peace.

      http://groups.msn.com/PsychedelicMusicFromTheAxisPowers

      > My Shonen Knife pics from Knitting Factory 10-10 &
      > 10-11 2003 (China's
      > b-day):
      > http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4096089
      >
      > China Mana official site:
      > http://china-mana.hp.infoseek.co.jp/
      >
      > DMBQ official site:
      > http://www.dmbq.net/
      >
      > Name:
      >
      > CHINÅ MÅNÅ
      > Birthday/Born:
      >
      > October 11st, Hiroshima-Japan
      > Constellation:
      >
      > Libra
      > Favorite Foods:
      >
      > MEMMA (Chinese bamboo garnish)
      > first experience playing drums:
      >
      > I thought to play the guitar at first. However, I
      > did not have much money,
      > so I chose the drums. I was only able to buy the
      > sticks at first. I
      > practiced the drums hard and found other members.
      > Most Admired Female Drummers:
      >
      > Maureen Tucker - The Velvet Underground
      > Georgia Hubley - YO LA TENGO
      > Now I am playing with these bands:
      >
      > RASHINBAN,DMBQ,JESUS FEVER,TEEM,MUSIC START
      > AGAINST YOUNG ASSAULT,CEL
      > (Seiichi Yamamoto&China),
      > SHONEN KNIFE(live suporrt since in 2001.)

      > removed]

      > --------------------~-->
      > Yahoo! your home page

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/DjJolB/TM

    • Gary Robert Kelly
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 6, 2005
        At 03:17 07/11/2005, Gygax wrote:

        >Boredoms fans may recall she played drums with Seiichi
        >Yamamoto on two of his most recent albums, including
        >the very awesome "Crown Of Fuzzy Groove".

        Oh God, that was a wonderful album. The last track on it was
        especially moving. I'm extremely saddened now.

        China RIP.

        Grk.
        Present listening: Randy Greif & Dan Burke, 'Fragment 56'
      • Arthur Gadney
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 7, 2005
          I remember reading that she was actually Yamamotos girlfriend. Anybody know
          if it's true?

        • Dan Clark
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 7, 2005
            This is a general e-mail to all people that I know who have some kind
            of connection to DMBQ or specifially Mana 'China' Nishiura, who had a
            terrible car accident on the weekend on the freeway near New York. As
            far as we know, 3 of the 4 members of DBMQ and their tour manager are
            in critical condition somewhere in New York state.

            Unfortunately and very sadly, Mana didn't survive the accident. As
            most of us know, Mana was in many bands including Rashinban with her
            boyfriend Seiichi Yamamoto and for a time Shonen Knife, which is
            where most of my contacts in the US and Canada met her first.

            I just want to make sure that everyone knows about the tragedy. Also,
            Robin and I though it might be good to have a list of e-mail
            addresses for people wanting updates or information that comes our
            way. We don't know much at the moment, but hope to piece together
            what we can. It is the very least we can do under the circumstances.

            Please let me know directly if you wish to be off of this list and
            send me more names/e-mail addresses if you know of others I can add
            to it.

            MOST IMPORTANTLY, it seems they didn't have insurance to cover them
            in such an emergency. This means that their hospital bills may be
            very high if this turns out to be true.

            I know Robin was finding threads on the internet about local bands
            playing benefits for them as well as a Paypal website for donations
            to help out their families. I hope Robin will be able to update on
            this when he gets the information together.

            Once again, please let me know if you want off this list. It is not
            meant to harass anyone, just to inform interested people about what
            is happening.

            thank you kindly
          • gygax
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 10, 2005
              Actually, China was Yamamoto's wife.

              --- Dan Clark <danclarkgraphics@...> wrote:

              > This is a general e-mail to all people that I know
              > who have some kind
              > of connection to DMBQ or specifially Mana 'China'
              > Nishiura, who had a
              > terrible car accident on the weekend on the freeway
              > near New York. As
              > far as we know, 3 of the 4 members of DBMQ and their
              > tour manager are
              > in critical condition somewhere in New York state.
              >
              > Unfortunately and very sadly, Mana didn't survive
              > the accident. As
              > most of us know, Mana was in many bands including
              > Rashinban with her
              > boyfriend Seiichi Yamamoto and for a time Shonen
              > Knife, which is
              > where most of my contacts in the US and Canada met
              > her first.
              >
              > I just want to make sure that everyone knows about
              > the tragedy. Also,
              > Robin and I though it might be good to have a list
              > of e-mail
              > addresses for people wanting updates or information
              > that comes our
              > way. We don't know much at the moment, but hope to
              > piece together
              > what we can. It is the very least we can do under
              > the circumstances.
              >
              > Please let me know directly if you wish to be off of
              > this list and
              > send me more names/e-mail addresses if you know of
              > others I can add
              > to it.
              >
              > MOST IMPORTANTLY, it seems they didn't have
              > insurance to cover them
              > in such an emergency. This means that their hospital
              > bills may be
              > very high if this turns out to be true.
              >
              > I know Robin was finding threads on the internet
              > about local bands
              > playing benefits for them as well as a Paypal
              > website for donations
              > to help out their families. I hope Robin will be
              > able to update on
              > this when he gets the information together.
              >
              > Once again, please let me know if you want off this
              > list. It is not
              > meant to harass anyone, just to inform interested
              > people about what
              > is happening.
              >
              > thank you kindly

              > removed]

            • Arthur Gadney
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 11, 2005
                It's all terrible news.

                What about benefit concerts and the like? Is anything happening? What about
                Japan? I can't even find any comments from other Japanese bands.

              • Lee Henderson
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 18, 2005
                  Wasn't sure if anyone had yet posted a link to this beautiful cache
                  of Eye's artwork. So amazing.
                  http://www.transplantny.com/exhibitions/2005/eyeweyew.html

                  He just had a show at Gavin Brown, as well; pictures of which are on
                  the Fader magazine's online blog.

                  "Ever since I can remember I've been poppin' my tatari"
                  Lee
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 18, 2005
                    there's also an art book that came out recently that has some eye artwork
                    along some other cool artists. unfortunately it's in black and white for some
                    reason. i believe the book is called "faqq" and can be ordered from
                    www.faqq.com
                    it doesn't say but i'm pretty sure EYE also did the cover art for the book.

                    ryan

                    --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, Lee Henderson <lee-