RIP China Nishimura & DMBQ

  • Dan Clark
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 5, 2005
      BlankI just woke up to a horrible voicemail saying that DMBQ had a very bad
      accident in their van in Delaware on their way to a gig in Brooklyn. Drummer
      China passed away last night, I'm still tripping hard, we just hung out a
      few weeks ago and talked/drank for hours, and she was so funny and sweet.
      The rest of the band and road manager Michelle Cable are in critial
      condition and in comas. Very fucking sad, DMBQ were the only band I've ever
      seen in my life that made fell like I was seeing Zeppelin in '69
      (SERIOUSLY!!!).

      This photo is from China's birthday party in the Knitting Factory dressing
      room on 10-11-2003. I would be happy to send all my other photos to any
      friends in Japan.

      Dan Clark

      My DMBQ pictures from the Knitting Factory 10-15-05:
      http://groups.msn.com/PsychedelicMusicFromTheAxisPowers

      My Shonen Knife pics from Knitting Factory 10-10 & 10-11 2003 (China's
      b-day):
      http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4096089

      China Mana official site:
      http://china-mana.hp.infoseek.co.jp/

      DMBQ official site:
      http://www.dmbq.net/

      Name:

      CHIN� M�N�
      Birthday/Born:

      October 11st, Hiroshima-Japan
      Constellation:

      Libra
      Favorite Foods:

      MEMMA (Chinese bamboo garnish)
      first experience playing drums:

      I thought to play the guitar at first. However, I did not have much money,
      so I chose the drums. I was only able to buy the sticks at first. I
      practiced the drums hard and found other members.
      Most Admired Female Drummers:

      Maureen Tucker - The Velvet Underground
      Georgia Hubley - YO LA TENGO
      Now I am playing with these bands:

      RASHINBAN,DMBQ,JESUS FEVER,TEEM,MUSIC START AGAINST YOUNG ASSAULT,CEL
      (Seiichi Yamamoto&China),
      SHONEN KNIFE(live suporrt since in 2001.)

    • gygax
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 6, 2005
        This is very sad indeed, she was extremely active in
        the music scene all over Japan, from this DMBQ tour to
        the Shonen Knife tour of the US 6 months ago not to
        mention dozens of shows in Japan with her
        sideprojects.

        Boredoms fans may recall she played drums with Seiichi
        Yamamoto on two of his most recent albums, including
        the very awesome "Crown Of Fuzzy Groove". She toured
        Japan in his band in 2003 and I was lucky enough to
        see them at BOA-Fest opening for Jaki Leibezeit with
        DJ EY3. Her performance was really incredible, my
        friend in Tokyo even wrote me today to remind me that
        after the show I told him that she was as great as
        Yoshiko from OoioO (who China replaced in DMBQ) which
        is high praise.

        At the very least she followed her dreams and was able
        to share music with many people all over the world.
        Rest In Peace.

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/DjJolB/TM

      • Gary Robert Kelly
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 6, 2005
          At 03:17 07/11/2005, Gygax wrote:

          >Boredoms fans may recall she played drums with Seiichi
          >Yamamoto on two of his most recent albums, including
          >the very awesome "Crown Of Fuzzy Groove".

          Oh God, that was a wonderful album. The last track on it was
          especially moving. I'm extremely saddened now.

          China RIP.

          Grk.
          Present listening: Randy Greif & Dan Burke, 'Fragment 56'
        • Arthur Gadney
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 7, 2005
            I remember reading that she was actually Yamamotos girlfriend. Anybody know
            if it's true?

          • Dan Clark
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 7, 2005
              This is a general e-mail to all people that I know who have some kind
              of connection to DMBQ or specifially Mana 'China' Nishiura, who had a
              terrible car accident on the weekend on the freeway near New York. As
              far as we know, 3 of the 4 members of DBMQ and their tour manager are
              in critical condition somewhere in New York state.

              Unfortunately and very sadly, Mana didn't survive the accident. As
              most of us know, Mana was in many bands including Rashinban with her
              boyfriend Seiichi Yamamoto and for a time Shonen Knife, which is
              where most of my contacts in the US and Canada met her first.

              I just want to make sure that everyone knows about the tragedy. Also,
              Robin and I though it might be good to have a list of e-mail
              addresses for people wanting updates or information that comes our
              way. We don't know much at the moment, but hope to piece together
              what we can. It is the very least we can do under the circumstances.

              Please let me know directly if you wish to be off of this list and
              send me more names/e-mail addresses if you know of others I can add
              to it.

              MOST IMPORTANTLY, it seems they didn't have insurance to cover them
              in such an emergency. This means that their hospital bills may be
              very high if this turns out to be true.

              I know Robin was finding threads on the internet about local bands
              playing benefits for them as well as a Paypal website for donations
              to help out their families. I hope Robin will be able to update on
              this when he gets the information together.

              Once again, please let me know if you want off this list. It is not
              meant to harass anyone, just to inform interested people about what
              is happening.

              thank you kindly
            • gygax
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 10, 2005
                Actually, China was Yamamoto's wife.

                --- Dan Clark <danclarkgraphics@...> wrote:

                > This is a general e-mail to all people that I know
                > who have some kind
                > of connection to DMBQ or specifially Mana 'China'
                > Nishiura, who had a
                > terrible car accident on the weekend on the freeway
                > near New York. As
                > far as we know, 3 of the 4 members of DBMQ and their
                > tour manager are
                > in critical condition somewhere in New York state.
                >
                > Unfortunately and very sadly, Mana didn't survive
                > the accident. As
                > most of us know, Mana was in many bands including
                > Rashinban with her
                > boyfriend Seiichi Yamamoto and for a time Shonen
                > Knife, which is
                > where most of my contacts in the US and Canada met
                > her first.
                >
                > I just want to make sure that everyone knows about
                > the tragedy. Also,
                > Robin and I though it might be good to have a list
                > of e-mail
                > addresses for people wanting updates or information
                > that comes our
                > way. We don't know much at the moment, but hope to
                > piece together
                > what we can. It is the very least we can do under
                > the circumstances.
                >
                > Please let me know directly if you wish to be off of
                > this list and
                > send me more names/e-mail addresses if you know of
                > others I can add
                > to it.
                >
                > MOST IMPORTANTLY, it seems they didn't have
                > insurance to cover them
                > in such an emergency. This means that their hospital
                > bills may be
                > very high if this turns out to be true.
                >
                > I know Robin was finding threads on the internet
                > about local bands
                > playing benefits for them as well as a Paypal
                > website for donations
                > to help out their families. I hope Robin will be
                > able to update on
                > this when he gets the information together.
                >
                > Once again, please let me know if you want off this
                > list. It is not
                > meant to harass anyone, just to inform interested
                > people about what
                > is happening.
                >
                > thank you kindly

                > removed]

              • Arthur Gadney
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 11, 2005
                  It's all terrible news.

                  What about benefit concerts and the like? Is anything happening? What about
                  Japan? I can't even find any comments from other Japanese bands.

                • Lee Henderson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 18, 2005
                    Wasn't sure if anyone had yet posted a link to this beautiful cache
                    of Eye's artwork. So amazing.
                    http://www.transplantny.com/exhibitions/2005/eyeweyew.html

                    He just had a show at Gavin Brown, as well; pictures of which are on
                    the Fader magazine's online blog.

                    "Ever since I can remember I've been poppin' my tatari"
                    Lee
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 18, 2005
                      there's also an art book that came out recently that has some eye artwork
                      along some other cool artists. unfortunately it's in black and white for some
                      reason. i believe the book is called "faqq" and can be ordered from
                      www.faqq.com
                      it doesn't say but i'm pretty sure EYE also did the cover art for the book.

                      ryan

                      --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, Lee Henderson <lee-