Re: Pics and Videos from the Chicago show

  • wontwa
    Message 1 of 12 , May 23, 2005
      wow! i didn't see any of the extra merchandise they were displaying.
      i went to the stand and got a shirt/poster/ufo or die 7" right when i
      entered, but we had a spot right in the front and i was afraid to
      leave it for fear of losing it.

      it's probably for the best that i didn't know they were selling all
      this other stuff, i would've been debating more purchases the entire show.

      Message 2 of 12 , May 23, 2005
        Glad someone was able to document the show, esp. if the venue
        employees were being violently aggressive about stopping the taping!--

      • biosbiosus
        Message 3 of 12 , May 23, 2005
          yeah you are right it sucked because we were near the front of the
          line to get in and when we went to the store they had some of the
          rare stuff out but later in the evening I would go to the bar and
          walk by the store and they'd pull out more rare stuff that wasn't
          even there before, like one-off stuff, and I'd shit my pants. Maybe
          they wait for the other one-off stuff to sell before they start
          bringing out more or something.
          I found the coolest thing in my record casing that I didn't know was
          in there, ufo or die stickers!! one set of 11, the etching in the
          middle says that this is album 94 of 100 printed. I'm so stoked!
          Though I'm a little worried because the plastic casing seems very
          sticky to the album I wonder if that is bad for it, anyone know?

          --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, wontwa <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > wow! i didn't see any of the extra merchandise they were
          displaying.
          > i went to the stand and got a shirt/poster/ufo or die 7" right
          when i
          > entered, but we had a spot right in the front and i was afraid to
          > leave it for fear of losing it.
          >
          > it's probably for the best that i didn't know they were selling all
          > this other stuff, i would've been debating more purchases the
          entire show.

          > --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, biosbiosus <no_reply@y...>
          wrote:
          > > No, I did see that one and thought it was the opener's cd. They
          had a
          > > lime green clear plastic DVD case that had the same cover of
          Super See
          > > but had some extra details around the side of it that was
          selling for
          > > $50 that wasn't there earlier when I purchased the ufo or die
          Lp, I
          > > don't know they must have brought it out later, but when I went
          back
          > > the lady said it was the only one they had and someone already
          snagged
          > > it.

        • biosbiosus
          Message 4 of 12 , May 23, 2005
            Jim you are from Michigan did you make the show? Would you know if
            there is a good copy of the '99 show in Detroit 7thHeaven, I've only
            seen really poor quality version around but the original must look
            good if someone has it!

            --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, alterego100usa <no_reply@y...>

          • Quintus Frimschlowder VIII
            Message 5 of 12 , May 23, 2005
              Hi all -

              Does anyone know anything about the cool light orb MIDI controller
              dealies that Eye was using? They looked fairly homemade, but it's hard
              to tell. I've never seen anything like them on the market, has anyone
              else? Any ideas as to how they work? There's the obvious
              gyroscope-looking dynamic. A friend of mine also noted that they
              seemed to be triggered by some sort of theremin-esque mechanism as
              well, as they seemed like they might change their output depending on
              their location relative to each other. Interesting stuff.

              In addition, I noticed in some of those photos that there was a switch
              or two. Makes sense. I would guess that the switch would be for
              changing the particular noises the orbs were making. Another person
              who was there also noticed one or more footswitches going on.

              Anyway, any thoughts or observations on these things? Anyone ever seen
              anything like these on the market, either in the States or in Japan?

              -QF8
              http://scatterbrain.raygunarmy.com/
            • trigger_goldberg
              Message 6 of 12 , May 23, 2005
                > Does anyone know anything about the cool light orb MIDI controller
                > dealies that Eye was using? They looked fairly homemade, but it's hard
                > to tell. I've never seen anything like them on the market, has anyone
                > else? Any ideas as to how they work?

                Here's my best guess:

                They're most likely homemade. The sounds appeared to be triggered by
                the sensors on the top of each bulb that Eye would touch, which would
                also light them up. As for what they were hooked up to, I caught a
                couple of glances at the screen of his laptop, and it appeared to be a
                modular programming situation, similar to (if not exactly) Max MSP,
                which means that not only were the objects homemade, but Eye (or
                someone he knows, or the like) wrote the program to make the sounds.
                It's unlikely that it was at all theremin-like.

                The most liberal of liberal arts colleges all over the U.S. teach kids
                how to use Max MSP to do similar projects (at the very least, many of
                the UC schools do), like other sensor-oriented interactive
                performances. Most respected electronic musicians of the present are
                pretty well oriented with Max MSP.
                Message 7 of 12 , May 24, 2005
                  No, I unfortunately didn't make it to Chicago. The MI show venue you
                  mentioned was actually called 7th House, and I have an audio mono
                  master of it, but tape ran out before the last 5-10 mins of show
                  ended. Don't have a video of it. It was a great concert, and it
                  converted 3 of my previously-skeptical friends into new Boredoms fans
                  on that night.--- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, biosbiosus

                • radiationsmiles
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 25, 2005
                    your pics and videos rule, man.