5/17/05 @ the knitting factory

  • majestyfunk
    Message 1 of 10 , May 18, 2005
      last night was fantastic. eye plus three drummers, full drum kits. eye had record player,
      cd player, oscillator, and mixer with effects. eye sang of course, along with the female
      drummer joining occasionally. they played approx. 90 minutes, including one encore. eye
      was a great "conductor" using body and hand motions to control the flow and movement.
      the entire group had great visual communication with eachother, they were all in a circle
      facing inwards, eye contact between members being very obvious throughout the set. i
      don't want to ruin how the set opens up, but it was really rad. the boredoms have a really
      good sound man, i really appreciated his ability to mix the three kits together and still
      have space left for vocals and the other sounds. my only beef: lack of sonic variety. the
      record/cd player being slowed down and sped up got slightly repetetive. that's my only
      beef, overall one of the best shows i've seen in ages.

      scott aka majestyfunk
    • radiationsmiles
      Message 2 of 10 , May 18, 2005
        hey thanks for describing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      • Quintus Frimschlowder VIII
        Message 3 of 10 , May 18, 2005
          Yeah, it's good to know that Yoshimi will be there. I was kind of
          hoping for Yamamoto as well, though. So it goes. I guess they have a
          five-album contract here in the US, or something? So I suppose they'll
          be around for a good while longer.

          On 5/18/05, radiationsmiles <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          > hey thanks for describing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • gygax
          Message 4 of 10 , May 18, 2005
            Seiichi Yamamoto quit the Boredoms 6 years ago, and
            the band broke up.

            This current line-up is known as "vOOredoms" in Japan.
            EYE refers to it as a Boredoms sideproject in many
            interviews.

            Message 5 of 10 , May 18, 2005
              Inneressin'. I knew about Vooredoms, but because this tour was under
              the name Boredoms, and since they just released an album under the
              same name, I figured it would be a different lineup.

              Weird, so who plays guitar on the soundtrack for Ichi the Killer? It
              sure sounds like Yamamoto to me, but I could of course be mistaken.

              -QF8

              http://scatterbrain.raygunarmy.com/

              On 5/18/05, gygax <gygax0r@...> wrote:
              > Seiichi Yamamoto quit the Boredoms 6 years ago, and
              > the band broke up.
              >
              > This current line-up is known as "vOOredoms" in Japan.
              > EYE refers to it as a Boredoms sideproject in many
              > interviews.
              >
              > --- Quintus Frimschlowder VIII
              > <quintusfrimschlowder@...> wrote:
              > > Yeah, it's good to know that Yoshimi will be there.
              > > I was kind of
              > > hoping for Yamamoto as well, though. So it goes. I
              > > guess they have a
              > > five-album contract here in the US, or something? So
              > > I suppose they'll
              > > be around for a good while longer.
              > >
              > > On 5/18/05, radiationsmiles
              > > <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              > > > hey thanks for describing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              > > >

              > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
              > > >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • gygax
              Message 6 of 10 , May 18, 2005
                It is indeed very strange how the US/UK booking
                agencies continue to use the name "Boredoms" for the
                very same band that plays as "vOOredoms" in Japan.

                This is the 3rd or 4th US tour by vOOredoms if you are
                counting the ATP/West Coast appearances in 2002 or
                not.

                Seiichi is still friendly with the band, he just feels
                that he left the band while they were at there
                absolute peak.

                Karera Musication, who did the soundtrack for Ichi The
                Killer, is essentially the late-era Boredoms line-up
                minus Eye.

                Message 7 of 10 , May 18, 2005
                  Huh. Wasn't that Eye's name I spotted in the movie credits next to
                  Yoshimi's, though? Granted, it was surrounded by Japanese and could
                  have been a thank you for all I know.

                • aeelms@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 18, 2005
                    >Huh. Wasn't that Eye's name I spotted in the movie credits next to
                    >Yoshimi's, though?

                    I cannot exactly remeber, but Eye had a technical role in the music for the
                    film, he did not take place in the actual music. he wasn't producer, but maybe
                    engineer or somesuch?
                  • James Osborne
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 18, 2005
                      I'm lost. How come the release of the Seadrum-House of
                      Sun in Japan was "Boredoms" and not "vooredoms"?

                      --- aeelms@... wrote:

                      > >Huh. Wasn't that Eye's name I spotted in the movie
                      > credits next to
                      > >Yoshimi's, though?
                      >
                      > I cannot exactly remeber, but Eye had a technical
                      > role in the music for the
                      > film, he did not take place in the actual music. he
                      > wasn't producer, but maybe
                      > engineer or somesuch?

                      Yahoo! Mail
                    • sp311xsfs
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 18, 2005
                        did they have any merch or cds for sale or anything?

                        Also, any suggestions for where I should watch the show in New York
                        from? Like, is it better to stand near the front (near the chaos) or
                        pick a spot near the back where i can see the whole thing?
                        Sorry, might be stupid questions, but was just wondering. I'm happy to
                        hear they played a good show. I can't wait to see them!!