Re: DMBQ / Bass Wolf of Guitar Wolf RIP

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2005
      Sorry to hear of this; he was quite good (maybe the strongest point
      of the band) and had an amusing appearance in the film WILD ZERO. I
      saw Guitar Wolf (the band) live several years ago, they were
      entertaining but Guitar Wolf himself was basically posing/vamping
      with his guitar and hitting chords sloppily, shotgunning Budweiser
      from cans like a freshman fratboy (as if this was supposed to impress
      us?) while the band rocked out. The albums, though recorded with the
      fidelity of broken Edison cylinders, do have a lot of excitement &
      fun at times, like Link Wray meeting the Ramones, but any Ramones or
      Wray LP is more satisfying (and better-recorded), honestly. WILD
      ZERO, the movie, is mildly recommended--I own it on both VHS and DVD.
      Would give it 2.5 stars on the usual rating scale.-- In

    • Doctor Funkenfurter
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
        I can't sit by on a Boredoms e-mail list and listen
        passively to people dumping on Guitar Wolf. Guitar
        Wolf has all the raw energy and wildness that made me
        love the Boredoms upon first hearing Onanie Bomb. I
        still dig what they're doing now, but I just wish the
        Boredoms still tore the paint off the walls and made
        my big toe shoot up in my boot like Guitar Wolf
        continued doing until Billy just died.

        -marquis de tzara

        --- alterego100usa <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> [...]
        > > > a major label,
        > > > Parco/Columbia. In 2001, after 3 albums, they
        > > > released a remix
        > > > album"Resonated" featuring old friends Buffalo
        > > > Daughter, EYE
        > > > (Boredoms), etc. The following year, they signed
        > > > new record deal
        > > > with Avex Trax, the Japanese biggest major
        > record
        > > > label. They just
        > > > recently signed with the American Label Estrus
        > > > issue out their
        > > > first U.S. release. They have toured the country
        > > > supporting the likes
        > > > of J.S.B.X., Fugazi, AxCx, Mudhoney, The
        > Dirtbombs,
        > > > Bob Log III,
        > > > Coachwhips, and 20 miles, etc. Their talents are
        > not
        > > > limited to DMBQ.
        > > > Masuko is also now playing with Damo Suziki

        === message truncated ===

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
          well, i did say i like the records and that bass wolf was talented,
          and that i liked the movie; i sure wouldn't call that "dumping",
          unless you were referring to guitar wolf (singular character) as
          opposed to guitar wolf (group). --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com,