Boredoms sign contract with Vice

  • trigger_goldberg
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
      Straight from a Vice press release:

      BOREDOMS japanese wonders celebrate their 18th year with a long-term
      record deal on vice. seadrum/house of sun is their first domestic
      release in six years and lifts the band to a cosmic peak with two 20+
      minute pieces of total music: hypnotic walls of drums, rhapsodic
      vocals, power drones, and the buzz of the gods... out may 10

      So, Seadrum in the U.S. on May 10-- hence the tour. And yes, you read
      right: "long-term record deal." Hmmm...
    • steve matis
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
        > So, Seadrum in the U.S. on May 10-- hence the tour.
        > And yes, you read
        > right: "long-term record deal." Hmmm...

        That's great news for all of us who already shelled
        out $35 for the import! and 5 cities qualifies as a
        tour? why don't even remotely attempt to reach
        audiences in the midwest? i've been waiting down here
        in texsa for years. the last time they came to
        houston, i was 10 years old. i'm almost 23 now, so its
        been a while... argh.

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Yatra Arts
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
          I am wondering if there are still more dates TBA....you are correct in saying 5 shows is not really a tour!

          -p
          > So, Seadrum in the U.S. on May 10-- hence the tour.
          > And yes, you read
          > right: "long-term record deal." Hmmm...

          That's great news for all of us who already shelled
          out $35 for the import! and 5 cities qualifies as a
          tour? why don't even remotely attempt to reach
          audiences in the midwest? i've been waiting down here
          in texsa for years. the last time they came to
          houston, i was 10 years old. i'm almost 23 now, so its
          been a while... argh.

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
            Hey, I bought some high-priced imports before their domestic release
            years ago too, but learned my lesson. When the demand is strong
            enough, the CD market responds to consumers (kinda like Field Of
            Dreams' "if you build it, they will come", or whatever) because there
            is money to be made, and manufacturing costs are low. Tours also cost
            money, a lot of money, and Boredoms have a very selective following
            that may be stronger in certain locales. Tours must justify their
            costs. Boredoms have played the Detroit area four times to my
            knowledge, but not since 1999. The firstime was an obscure show i
            didn't know about, then the Nirvana and Lollapalooza tours, then '99.
            Import prices are also high because many retail CD prices in Japan
            are absurdly high to begin with, apparently without justification.
            Blame both the manufacturers and the retailers; it's the same
            (costwise) for releases by masterful artists like Boredoms and
            Cornelius as it is for all that kiddie-level junkfood pop crap. By
            the way, Guitar Wolf is coming to Detroit (w/ the Hentchmen) this
            week; saw Guitar Wolf once before, 5-6 yrs ago. He had a fetish for
            shotgunning Budweiser for some reason (why?) that was fratboy-level,
            but he vamps and poses well and makes good noise, and the band
            pummelled (esp. the bassist!!) the crowd. i enjoy their albums, and
            enjoy WILD ZERO, a movie that all Japan noise/rock/retro fans should