RE: [the boredoms] Omoide Hatoba-Vuoy

  • Arthur Gadney
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2004
      >I just bought and have been listening to Yamamoto's Baptism cd
      >today.It's nice,but sometimes I yearn for the wacky days of Omoide
      >Hatoba.I have most the previous studio cds,even Ruins Hatoba,which is
      >terrible.I heard there is a new Ruins Hatoba cd(also recorded live)I
      >imagine that's terrible too.Who would have thought,the sharp,complex
      >prog of Ruins mixed with the genre bending fun of Omoide
      >Hatoba,and...the end results suck.I thought Yamamoto and Yoshida
      >together would be cool,I was wrong.Even their duo collab,Sun-Kich,is
      >a waste of tape.Grrrrrrrr!

      Try to listen to the two clips from the new Ruinzhatova from
      aquariusrecords.org. Sounds very promising to me:

      RUINZHATOVA Close To The RH Kiki (Tractor) cd 15.98

      Ok, the first thing you need to know about this, if you haven't guessed
      already: it's indeed a brand new album spawned from the combined efforts of
      Japan's Ruins and Omoide Hatoba. These two equally insane outfits got
      together for a cd once before, about ten years ago, and now I guess they've
      determined that the world is ready for more of their merged musical mania.
      Bring it on we say! This installment of Ruinzhatova sees Tatsuya Yoshida and
      Hisashi Sasaki (of hyper-prog duo Ruins) teaming up with Seiichi Yamamoto
      and Atsushi Tsuyama (members of weirdo noise-pop-jazz combo Omoide Hatoba).
      Yamamoto you probably also know as the guitarist from the Boredoms, while
      Tsuyama is a member of Acid Mothers Temple, and collaborates with Yoshida in
      the highly conceptual and crazed Akaten duo. So, as you might well expect,
      this is some wacked-out, noisy, frenzied, chaotic (but doubtless totally
      tight and composed) stuff!! One hour of prog-spazz insanity. Don't attempt
      to listen to this if you already have a headache, that's for sure. Not that
      there aren't moments of pleasantly quiet quirkiness on here as well.
      The second thing you need to know: these guys are definitely into overtly
      indulging their prog-rock obsessions here -- the cover photo (a cow in a
      field) seems to reference Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother, and the album's
      very title is derived from the Yes LP Close To The Edge. And that brings us
      to one of the most amazing things on here, actually: this disc's finale is a
      completely reverential, kick-ass, 18 minute version of that Yes album's
      incredible title track. Really, they do it remarkably straight (that's
      what's really so thrilling, they pull off every little nuance from the
      vocals on down), especially considering that earlier in the album, they do
      some other covers, not nearly so respectfully. For instance, they cover both
      James Brown and King Crimson -- at the same time! That's right, on track
      five on you get "Sex Machine" in your right speaker and "Larks Tongues In
      Aspic Part II" in the left channel. Then there's the over-the-top, wild and
      wooly version of Kraftwerk's "Trans Europe Express" that begins the album...
      The originals on here also veer wildly and crazily about, making full use of
      Yoshida's This Heat/Magma inspired drumming, Yamamoto's guitar squiggles,
      and Tsuyama's vocal histrionics, among the other talents of this
      always-over-the-top ensemble. Now, like the original Ruins-Hatoba
      get-together, this album is certainly not the equal of a 'proper' album by
      either band, but still, there's lots for Ruins/Omoide Hatoba/etc. fans to
      enjoy on here. And it's worth it for the "Close To The Edge" cover alone,
      really!

      "Trans Europe Express"
      http://www.aquariusrecords.org/audio/ruinzhatovatrans.m3u

      "DNA"
      http://www.aquariusrecords.org/audio/ruinzhatovadna.m3u

      And there's a new Rovo comming out in a few weeks.

    • otoboto74
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2004
        so i'm listening to this ruinzhatova right now! track two of eleven.
        if you were put off by the first RH release, this one might treat
        you better. the recording is much better, the music is more prog-
        focused, so far. it's everything i was hoping for and certainly the
        most omoide-hatoba sounding stuff yamamoto has done since the
        release of vuoy (too long ago). vuoy is the beginning of
        the "mature"compositions for him, which would become rashinban and
        rovo stuff, and was obviously hoping to reach a broader market in
        japan. atsushi tsuyama's work with amt post-vuoy implies his desire
        to remain in the messed up/psychedelic world of music (thank you!).
        i really like lucky mountain hey!!!!!!! but i also quite like akaten
        (atsushi tsuyama's duo with tatsuya yoshida of ruins). probably
        vibing off of akaten, sun kich made a record really fast (scum
        prog!) and so the results are certainly less like the controlled
        chaos of omoide hatoba, but dig that lose and wild sound! at any
        rate, i haven't written off this ruinzhatova! in fact, it's bringing
        back the great joy of hearing a new yamamoto release, and i haven't
        felt this excited since the vuoy or sun kich releases years ago now.
        let's hope the inspiration to work with atsushi tsuyama is back!
        bring on an new omoide hatoba record soon please!
      • Arthur Gadney
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2004
          >let's hope the inspiration to work with atsushi tsuyama is back!
          >bring on an new omoide hatoba record soon please!

          As far as I know, it was released in Japan at the end of October....... At
          least that's what acidmothers.com said.

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2004
            WHAAAAAAAA???A NEW Omoide Hatoba album already?NOT the Ruinshatova?

            I checked that link,and I also looked at HMV Japan,I saw the album
            cover and record label but couldn't get a name for the cd.

            New Omoide?Awesome!So who's going to be the first to order it???
            What's the best company to order from(assuming this won't get
            domestic release)?
          • otoboto74
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 4, 2004
              I aslo want to mention that this Ruinzhatova cd has a version of
              Delayed Sky (track 2 on Vuoy), called "DSFC". Plus the covers by
              kraftwerk, yes, and weirdo combo cover of james brown in one ear and
              king crimson in the other ear! hahaha. if you like ruins prog type
              stuff and omoide-hatoba, this is the stuff. i also enjoy the older
              cd, viva young florida, which most people i've played it for say is
              the most difficult listen they've heard. so i guess my tastes favour
              this prog wackiness. perhaps not for all though.