Re: New album??

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 24, 2004
      I need more details, I need more details!
      is there a lineup listed?
      Does is sound like Vooredoms (probably not)?

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 24, 2004
        I haven't heard it yet but I probably won't rush out to buy it.If
        it's not even as good as the Total Eclipse song I'm not too excited.I
        wonder,if there is a sitar jam,who's playing the sitar?

        I haven't been able to see Vooredoms live,I've only been able to
        download the live shows.It sounds nice,but not earthshaking.

        Perhaps the only real magic happens when all Boredoms are together?

        I like the old adage"genius is born of restraint",and that really
        applies to these guys,give them too much space and they make a mess
        (NaniNani,the recent OOIOO).To me,when this stuff
        (Ruins,Bore,Omoide,etc.)is good,it's transcendant!But when they
        aren't on their toes or they mess around too much,the results can be
        a waste of money.

        Even though I love VCN,it sort of sounded like they let the tape run
        and run and then Eye went into the studio and pieced his vision
        together.Which is to say,without Yamamoto they really lose
        something,and listening to Hanadensha,I have to give props to Hira
        and think he must have had some influence too.

        It's very evident by the recent side(or permanent?)projects that
        although there can be great and not so great results,when
        Hira,Yamamoto,Yoshimi,ATR and Eye get together,it's magic.I mean,I've
        heard Yamamoto's solo,Rovo,AOA,etc.and it's nice,but they really
        don't have any "OOMPH!"to alot of their stuff.I liked most of OOIOO's
        stuff,but Kila'has way too much filler on it.I realize these guys
        have families now,but,they need a little more focus before they lay
        something to tape.

        Thank goodness Tatsuya Yoshida is still insane.
      • exfedex2000
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 24, 2004
          No lineup anywhere! Unless the Japanese text on the back of the obi
          strip is the lineup. Other than that the jewel case is VERY blue!
          Not even a transparent window! All solid blue plastic back and front
          with no booklet. The disc itself is all gree with a gold circle
          through it and looks a LOT like the disc in the VCN EP with the
          Uoredoms track.

          Doesn't sound like Vooredoms one bit. I'm telling you, it's like a
          VCN afterthought or pre-thought. Kinda like VCN was the culmination
          of all they were focused on at the time and this was either part of
          the VCN vision they just didn't use or something they jammed out
          after VCN was done. Nothing to get your panties in a bunch over. If
          you're a FREAK like me you need it. Otherwise, pass it by.

          I officially give up on EVER hearing a studio version of the
          Vooredoms thing even though according to Eye it's done. At least
          that's what he told us at ATP in L.A. March 2002.

          --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, fastyouth81 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > I need more details, I need more details!
          > is there a lineup listed?
          > Does is sound like Vooredoms (probably not)?
          >

          > --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, exfedex2000 <no_reply@y...>
          wrote:

          > > Just as I thought. It sounds like an extension of VCN. NO BIG
          > > DEAL! A welcome addition to the Boredoms catalog but to wait 5
          > years
          > > for this is just INSANE!
          > >
          > > Seadrum is a 20 minute drum jam with piano, Yoshimi vocal and
          some
          > > slight guitar pushed waaaay into the background.
          > >
          > > House Of Sun is a 20 minute sitar jam with guitar pushed waaaaaay
          > > into the background.
          > >
          > > NOT essential except for extreme Boredoms FREAKS like most
          here. ;-
          > )
          > >
          > > Somehow we all knew this would be the case.
          > >
          > > --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "Arthur Gadney"
          <a_gadney@h...>
          > > wrote:
          > > > So how is the new album???

          > > > On the road to retirement? Check out MSN Life Events for advice
          > on
          > > how to
          > > > get there! http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?
          cid=Retirement
        • wingsoftoast
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 27, 2004
            i disagreee - seadrum is very vooredoms indeed!! if anything it
            sounds like a better version of the live set-up. all those chopped-up
            rhythms, kodo meets funky drummer house meets dub meets gamelan + a
            torrent of piano runs with the pedal full down, cymbals crashing
            through umpteen effects pedals like the world's about to end and it's
            worth it actually. at the same time it harks back to the never-ending
            crescendo effect of something like super roots 5, which to me is
            boredoms at their finest. i put the cd on loud on my headphones and
            within 30 seconds i was grinning like an idiot.
            admittedly, track two is weak by comparison - a sort of swamp of
            tanbura with very low mixed guitar - novel if you don't own any ravi
            shankar cd's - having said that, i suspect its supposed to be
            regarded as kind of 'still' music in counterpoint to seadrum's
            torrent of unending motion. this is vertiginously physical music,
            something that has been part of the boredoms ethos from year dot....
            challenging and heartwarming stuff...