Re: New album??

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 24, 2004
      some groups get to the point that they know they have a cottage
      industry, a fan base which is a captive market, which is ideal if the
      group is deliberately non-commercial. new stuff is always welcome in
      any event, but it's very healthy & good to see people with a critical
      bias, rather than some "rock geeks" (like certain friends of mine)
      who worship everything their favorite groups touch.--- In

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 24, 2004
        I need more details, I need more details!
        is there a lineup listed?
        Does is sound like Vooredoms (probably not)?

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 24, 2004
          I haven't heard it yet but I probably won't rush out to buy it.If
          it's not even as good as the Total Eclipse song I'm not too excited.I
          wonder,if there is a sitar jam,who's playing the sitar?

          I haven't been able to see Vooredoms live,I've only been able to
          download the live shows.It sounds nice,but not earthshaking.

          Perhaps the only real magic happens when all Boredoms are together?

          I like the old adage"genius is born of restraint",and that really
          applies to these guys,give them too much space and they make a mess
          (NaniNani,the recent OOIOO).To me,when this stuff
          (Ruins,Bore,Omoide,etc.)is good,it's transcendant!But when they
          aren't on their toes or they mess around too much,the results can be
          a waste of money.

          Even though I love VCN,it sort of sounded like they let the tape run
          and run and then Eye went into the studio and pieced his vision
          together.Which is to say,without Yamamoto they really lose
          something,and listening to Hanadensha,I have to give props to Hira
          and think he must have had some influence too.

          It's very evident by the recent side(or permanent?)projects that
          although there can be great and not so great results,when
          Hira,Yamamoto,Yoshimi,ATR and Eye get together,it's magic.I mean,I've
          heard Yamamoto's solo,Rovo,AOA,etc.and it's nice,but they really
          don't have any "OOMPH!"to alot of their stuff.I liked most of OOIOO's
          stuff,but Kila'has way too much filler on it.I realize these guys
          have families now,but,they need a little more focus before they lay
          something to tape.

          Thank goodness Tatsuya Yoshida is still insane.
        • exfedex2000
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 24, 2004
            No lineup anywhere! Unless the Japanese text on the back of the obi
            strip is the lineup. Other than that the jewel case is VERY blue!
            Not even a transparent window! All solid blue plastic back and front
            with no booklet. The disc itself is all gree with a gold circle
            through it and looks a LOT like the disc in the VCN EP with the
            Uoredoms track.

            Doesn't sound like Vooredoms one bit. I'm telling you, it's like a
            VCN afterthought or pre-thought. Kinda like VCN was the culmination
            of all they were focused on at the time and this was either part of
            the VCN vision they just didn't use or something they jammed out
            after VCN was done. Nothing to get your panties in a bunch over. If
            you're a FREAK like me you need it. Otherwise, pass it by.

            I officially give up on EVER hearing a studio version of the
            Vooredoms thing even though according to Eye it's done. At least
            that's what he told us at ATP in L.A. March 2002.

            --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, fastyouth81 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > I need more details, I need more details!
            > is there a lineup listed?
            > Does is sound like Vooredoms (probably not)?
            >

            > --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, exfedex2000 <no_reply@y...>
            wrote:

            > > Just as I thought. It sounds like an extension of VCN. NO BIG
            > > DEAL! A welcome addition to the Boredoms catalog but to wait 5
            > years
            > > for this is just INSANE!
            > >
            > > Seadrum is a 20 minute drum jam with piano, Yoshimi vocal and
            some
            > > slight guitar pushed waaaay into the background.
            > >
            > > House Of Sun is a 20 minute sitar jam with guitar pushed waaaaaay
            > > into the background.
            > >
            > > NOT essential except for extreme Boredoms FREAKS like most
            here. ;-
            > )
            > >
            > > Somehow we all knew this would be the case.
            > >
            > > --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "Arthur Gadney"
            <a_gadney@h...>
            > > wrote:
            > > > So how is the new album???

            > > > On the road to retirement? Check out MSN Life Events for advice
            > on
            > > how to
            > > > get there! http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?
            cid=Retirement
          • wingsoftoast
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 27, 2004
              i disagreee - seadrum is very vooredoms indeed!! if anything it
              sounds like a better version of the live set-up. all those chopped-up
              rhythms, kodo meets funky drummer house meets dub meets gamelan + a
              torrent of piano runs with the pedal full down, cymbals crashing
              through umpteen effects pedals like the world's about to end and it's
              worth it actually. at the same time it harks back to the never-ending
              crescendo effect of something like super roots 5, which to me is
              boredoms at their finest. i put the cd on loud on my headphones and
              within 30 seconds i was grinning like an idiot.
              admittedly, track two is weak by comparison - a sort of swamp of
              tanbura with very low mixed guitar - novel if you don't own any ravi
              shankar cd's - having said that, i suspect its supposed to be
              regarded as kind of 'still' music in counterpoint to seadrum's
              torrent of unending motion. this is vertiginously physical music,
              something that has been part of the boredoms ethos from year dot....
              challenging and heartwarming stuff...