Re: beefheart effect?

  • sangriademuertos
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 30, 2004
      Its actually at 3:49 on Turn Table Boredoms, and yes it does sound like Beefheart.

      --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, alterego100usa <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > on chocolate synthesizer, track 13, beginning somewhere around 3:39(?)
      > there is an intense polyrhythmic stomp that reeks resonantly (or
      > resinously?) of captain beefheart. anyone else know of other
      > examples? it's a rare band that can make a beefheart tribute work,
      > but the boredoms here do.
    • mechar0b02
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2004
        Arab on radar is just a huge beefheart tribute group. they do it in
        their own sick way. but the beefheart love is there and layed on
        THICK

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 2, 2004
          thanks! my first exposure to the captain was (appropriately) trout
          mask replica, which anyone in this group should own, or at least hear
          (several times). gary lucas also appeared in a wire story in
          newspapers a few weeks back as a judge for an air-guitar competition.
          beefheart still remains far ahead of his time, or ours.--- In

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 2, 2004
            you're absolutely right, my error. it does rock for those crunchy few
            moments, and i really love that album (esp. "acid police", which i
            play while in traffic with my windows down, bass lavel pumped. i did
            this at home years ago when i first got the cd, and the sonic
            earthquake it caused in my room made the books fly off the shelves!)--
            - In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "sangriademuertos"
            <sangriademuertos@y...> wrote:
            > Its actually at 3:49 on Turn Table Boredoms, and yes it does sound
            like Beefheart.

            > --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, alterego100usa <no_reply@y...>
            wrote:
            > > on chocolate synthesizer, track 13, beginning somewhere around
            3:39(?)
            > > there is an intense polyrhythmic stomp that reeks resonantly (or
            > > resinously?) of captain beefheart. anyone else know of other
            > > examples? it's a rare band that can make a beefheart tribute
            work,
            > > but the boredoms here do.
          • kev booyaka
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 5, 2004
              not to mention track 4 on "super �". very beefheart-ish vocals.

              alterego100usa <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:thanks! my first exposure to the captain was (appropriately) trout
              mask replica, which anyone in this group should own, or at least hear
              (several times). gary lucas also appeared in a wire story in
              newspapers a few weeks back as a judge for an air-guitar competition.
              beefheart still remains far ahead of his time, or ours.--- In
              theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "mechar0b02" <janzano@w...> wrote:
              > Arab on radar is just a huge beefheart tribute group. they do it in
              > their own sick way. but the beefheart love is there and layed on
              > THICK
              >

              > --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, alterego100usa <no_reply@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > on chocolate synthesizer, track 13, beginning somewhere around
              3:39
              > (?)
              > > there is an intense polyrhythmic stomp that reeks resonantly (or
              > > resinously?) of captain beefheart. anyone else know of other
              > > examples? it's a rare band that can make a beefheart tribute
              work,
              > > but the boredoms here do.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsordocument.write('');

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 8, 2004
                yeah, it's comforting to think that there are these channels of
                inspiration from potent sources (trout mask is such an AMAZING
                album), shared by equally exciting/excited artists.--- In
                theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, kev booyaka <ahairyscreaming@y...> wrote:
                > not to mention track 4 on "super æ". very beefheart-ish vocals.
                >
                > alterego100usa <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:thanks! my first
                exposure to the captain was (appropriately) trout
                > mask replica, which anyone in this group should own, or at least
                hear
                > (several times). gary lucas also appeared in a wire story in
                > newspapers a few weeks back as a judge for an air-guitar
                competition.
                > beefheart still remains far ahead of his time, or ours.--- In
                > theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "mechar0b02" <janzano@w...> wrote:
                > > Arab on radar is just a huge beefheart tribute group. they do it
                in
                > > their own sick way. but the beefheart love is there and layed on
                > > THICK
                > >

                > > --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, alterego100usa
                <no_reply@y...>
                > > wrote:
                > > > on chocolate synthesizer, track 13, beginning somewhere around
                > 3:39
                > > (?)
                > > > there is an intense polyrhythmic stomp that reeks resonantly
                (or
                > > > resinously?) of captain beefheart. anyone else know of other
                > > > examples? it's a rare band that can make a beefheart tribute
                > work,
                > > > but the boredoms here do.
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsordocument.write('');

                Service.

              • Hannu Haahti
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 8, 2004
                  the first time i ever heard boredoms it was soul discharge'99
                  and i had only heard that sonic youth likes them so i though
                  they must be cool... but it was just mess, i declared it the
                  worst cd i'd ever heard... then i heard trout mask replica...
                  and that really changed my life, and that's nowadays my
                  all-time favourite album. after that i really got into
                  boredoms as well... and, soul discharge '99 is nowadays my
                  favourite boredoms album, although i like them all.

                  i think trout mask replica has influenced so many good bands
                  like boredoms and caroliner etc.

                  h.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 9, 2004
                    i thought i read somewhere that the usa release of soul discharge
                    actually was poorly mastered or something. when i heard the boredoms'
                    take on "blue hawaii", that is what pulled me in. i asked my father
                    for a tape of trout mask in the early '80s from a friend of his who
                    is a bigtime record collector in this region. this kept my college
                    roommates far away, as desired, but i learned in the process that
                    trout mask replica is a thing of beauty and density, like a james
                    joyce or william burroughs novel. a friend at a different college
                    even invented a dance for "the blimp (troutmaskreplica)" in his
                    dormitory that was suppressed after someone else injured his head
                    performing the dance, which required dizziness, apparently.--- In
                    theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, Hannu Haahti <hhaahti@d...> wrote:

                    > the first time i ever heard boredoms it was soul discharge'99
                    > and i had only heard that sonic youth likes them so i though
                    > they must be cool... but it was just mess, i declared it the
                    > worst cd i'd ever heard... then i heard trout mask replica...
                    > and that really changed my life, and that's nowadays my
                    > all-time favourite album. after that i really got into
                    > boredoms as well... and, soul discharge '99 is nowadays my
                    > favourite boredoms album, although i like them all.
                    >
                    > i think trout mask replica has influenced so many good bands
                    > like boredoms and caroliner etc.
                    >
                    > h.
                    >

                    > > yeah, it's comforting to think that there are these
                    > > channels of inspiration from potent sources (trout mask is
                    > > such an AMAZING album), shared by equally exciting/excited
                    > > artists.---
                  • Hannu Haahti
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 9, 2004
                      > i thought i read somewhere that the usa release of soul
                      > discharge actually was poorly mastered or something.

                      that might be the shimmydisc version, with the whole lp (w/
                      some tracks on sd'99 missing) on one track & other track being
                      'early boredoms', mostly stuff from onanie bomb.

                      i heard somewhere that the band didn't get any money from that
                      version but i might be wrong.

                      h.