RE: [the boredoms] Re: eYe's Voore gear (OFF TOPIC)

  • steve matis
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
      since someone mentioned AMM, i have a funny story
      about keith rowe. last year or the year before, he
      performed here in houston with toshimaru nakamura. it
      was my 2nd time seeing him so i decided to drag my
      father along, whom i occasionally take with me to see
      avant garde shows. i took him with me to see
      einsturzende neubauten in austin a couple of months
      ago and he is almost 60! haha. anyway, i didnt tell
      my father about what keith rowe does, which is
      essentially play and create some of the quietest and
      most delicate music in known existence, at least when
      he performs solo or with only one other person. when
      the whole show started, there were probably about 45
      people present i think, so it was a decent sized crowd
      and they were really receptive actually. the whole
      thing started off with keith rowe giving toshi a hair
      cut (!?) after which there was a 10 minute pause
      before "the 2nd set." me and the old man went up and
      talked to him actually for a minute or two. he is a
      really really insanely nice and intelligent man. my
      dad asked him all about his instrument, which was his
      guitar and his small mountain of gadgets. keith
      explained to us about the merits of dragging along
      several dozen small tiny things "just in case" the
      direction of the music might require a certain sound.
      i was particulalrly fascinated with his SINGLE feather
      that he would often use. he told us that its
      literally like playing with "nothing." when the show
      started, it pretty much sounded like that for 45+
      minutes. keith and toshi played off of each other and
      they both created these massive walls of delicate
      sound with almost silent little drips of static and
      fuzz. i never thought you could digitally delay
      silence before that night. unfortunately, i had
      forgotten to tell my father the nature of this type of
      music, as me and him typcially go to free jazz shows.
      the kicker came at the end, when they abruptly cut off
      and ended the performace. as everyone began clapping,
      my dad looked at me, flabbergasted, and asked me if
      that was it! he thought they were 'warming up' and
      just beginning their set. the whole brunt of the
      performance sort of passed him up and i had to spend
      about 30 minutes on the way home explaining why he had
      paid $10 to see two men create walls of amplified
      silence. he got it in the end. sorry about the
      irrelvant post, but as long as eye and company dont
      bother releasing something new, there really isnt much
      else worth talking about.

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • pjc
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
        >> sorry about the
        irrelvant post, but as long as eye and company dont
        bother releasing something new, there really isnt much
        else worth talking about.

        Hey man, that wasn't irrelevant at all; that was a great post, esp as I've
        seen both Rowe and Nakamura over the last couple of months (though sadly,
        not together), and esp as we seem to get more spam than genuine posts on
        this list nowadays anyway.

        AMM & MEV recorded an album together in London in late April. No idea when
        that'll be released but look out for it, it'll be a killer.

        p.

      • gygax
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
          has been DJ-ing around Tokyo a few times in the past 2 weeks.
        • trip_fontayne
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2004
            --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, gygax <gygax0r@y...> wrote:
            > has been DJ-ing around Tokyo a few times in the past 2 weeks.

            i read on some site last night (i know how annoying it is that i
            dont know where it was exactly) that the boredoms were about to
            start recording fresh material as well as eyes solo project..

            ^_^