[the boredoms] Re: eYe's Voore gear

  • trip_fontayne
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
      yeah thats what i was talking about i passed him just as the AMM
      went on =)

      --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "Mr Hoody"
      <eyes_of_blackness@h...> wrote:
      > Without being too presumptious, I'd be pretty willing to bet that
      the Arches
      > referred to is The Arches club in Glasgow, when the Boredoms
      (voordoms)
      > played as part of Instal.03 in November last year. I saw him with
      the baby
      > too...such a cute little thing.
      >

      > >From: "Tommy DOG" <mrsvomit@t...>
      > >To: theboredoms@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: [the boredoms] Re: eYe's Voore gear
      > >Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 04:16:50 -0000
      > >
      > >a couple of things,
      > >
      > >1. Just for the sake of clarity, I assume these must be
      different "arches"
      > >since i do remember reading thta Eye was pretty
      > >serious about what kind of food he ate and McDonalds wouldn't fit
      the bill.

      > >2. I suspect Eye does change around gear and 12" records fairly
      often since
      > >the band doesn't perform much but he does DJ
      > >quite a bit.
      > >
      > >3. I was able to talk to Eye and give him and the roadie a bunch
      of one of
      > >my band's albums after they played the South
      > >Street Sea Port in NYC a few years back, which was a lot easier
      then
      > >getting one to Fred Frith who opened the show with
      > >Zorn & Laswell. My method turned into my signaling him that I was
      going to
      > >toss him one, then throwing too high and yelling
      > >"Fred DUCK!!!!" I don't know if he liked it but I do have the
      > >gratification of a dumb and funny story.
      > >
      > >TD
      > >
      > >PS at the same show a drunk women tossed her drink at Eye and
      splashed all
      > >over his table of gear and he looked pretty
      > >pissed off.
      > >

      > >--- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, surrealeye_2001
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > > --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "trip_fontayne"

      > > > asked
      > > > saying
      > > >
      > > > Wow,you saw Eye at McDonalds and you didn't even say hi?I
      wasn't
      > > > aware he had a child,did he marry along time ago?The Bore-
      quirer
      > > > needs to know.
      > > >
      > > > I guess I wouldn't know what to say either,I've had Tatsuya
      Yoshida
      > > > and Yamamoto walk past me at clubs,but all I could say
      > > > was"...hey.....".Next time I will ask Yoshimi to marry me.Or
      either
      > > > of the Melt Banana ladies.

      > Express yourself with cool new emoticons
      http://www.msn.co.uk/specials/myemo
    • Mr Hoody
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
        Oh speaking of AMM..I got to see John Tilburry and Keith Rowe perform Duos
        For Doris at the CCA last night. Absolutely amazing..even better than the
        AMM performance at instal. There were only like 25 people in the room. The
        way the play off each other is amazing.

      • steve matis
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
          since someone mentioned AMM, i have a funny story
          about keith rowe. last year or the year before, he
          performed here in houston with toshimaru nakamura. it
          was my 2nd time seeing him so i decided to drag my
          father along, whom i occasionally take with me to see
          avant garde shows. i took him with me to see
          einsturzende neubauten in austin a couple of months
          ago and he is almost 60! haha. anyway, i didnt tell
          my father about what keith rowe does, which is
          essentially play and create some of the quietest and
          most delicate music in known existence, at least when
          he performs solo or with only one other person. when
          the whole show started, there were probably about 45
          people present i think, so it was a decent sized crowd
          and they were really receptive actually. the whole
          thing started off with keith rowe giving toshi a hair
          cut (!?) after which there was a 10 minute pause
          before "the 2nd set." me and the old man went up and
          talked to him actually for a minute or two. he is a
          really really insanely nice and intelligent man. my
          dad asked him all about his instrument, which was his
          guitar and his small mountain of gadgets. keith
          explained to us about the merits of dragging along
          several dozen small tiny things "just in case" the
          direction of the music might require a certain sound.
          i was particulalrly fascinated with his SINGLE feather
          that he would often use. he told us that its
          literally like playing with "nothing." when the show
          started, it pretty much sounded like that for 45+
          minutes. keith and toshi played off of each other and
          they both created these massive walls of delicate
          sound with almost silent little drips of static and
          fuzz. i never thought you could digitally delay
          silence before that night. unfortunately, i had
          forgotten to tell my father the nature of this type of
          music, as me and him typcially go to free jazz shows.
          the kicker came at the end, when they abruptly cut off
          and ended the performace. as everyone began clapping,
          my dad looked at me, flabbergasted, and asked me if
          that was it! he thought they were 'warming up' and
          just beginning their set. the whole brunt of the
          performance sort of passed him up and i had to spend
          about 30 minutes on the way home explaining why he had
          paid $10 to see two men create walls of amplified
          silence. he got it in the end. sorry about the
          irrelvant post, but as long as eye and company dont
          bother releasing something new, there really isnt much
          else worth talking about.

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • pjc
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
            >> sorry about the
            irrelvant post, but as long as eye and company dont
            bother releasing something new, there really isnt much
            else worth talking about.

            Hey man, that wasn't irrelevant at all; that was a great post, esp as I've
            seen both Rowe and Nakamura over the last couple of months (though sadly,
            not together), and esp as we seem to get more spam than genuine posts on
            this list nowadays anyway.

            AMM & MEV recorded an album together in London in late April. No idea when
            that'll be released but look out for it, it'll be a killer.

            p.

          • gygax
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
              has been DJ-ing around Tokyo a few times in the past 2 weeks.
            • trip_fontayne
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 3, 2004
                --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, gygax <gygax0r@y...> wrote:
                > has been DJ-ing around Tokyo a few times in the past 2 weeks.

                i read on some site last night (i know how annoying it is that i
                dont know where it was exactly) that the boredoms were about to
                start recording fresh material as well as eyes solo project..

                ^_^