RE: [the boredoms] Re: eYe's Voore gear

  • Mr Hoody
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
      Without being too presumptious, I'd be pretty willing to bet that the Arches
      referred to is The Arches club in Glasgow, when the Boredoms(voordoms)
      played as part of Instal.03 in November last year. I saw him with the baby
      too...such a cute little thing.

      >From: "Tommy DOG" <mrsvomit@...>
      >To: theboredoms@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [the boredoms] Re: eYe's Voore gear
      >Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 04:16:50 -0000
      >
      >a couple of things,
      >
      >1. Just for the sake of clarity, I assume these must be different "arches"
      >since i do remember reading thta Eye was pretty
      >serious about what kind of food he ate and McDonalds wouldn't fit the bill.
      >
      >2. I suspect Eye does change around gear and 12" records fairly often since
      >the band doesn't perform much but he does DJ
      >quite a bit.
      >
      >3. I was able to talk to Eye and give him and the roadie a bunch of one of
      >my band's albums after they played the South
      >Street Sea Port in NYC a few years back, which was a lot easier then
      >getting one to Fred Frith who opened the show with
      >Zorn & Laswell. My method turned into my signaling him that I was going to
      >toss him one, then throwing too high and yelling
      >"Fred DUCK!!!!" I don't know if he liked it but I do have the
      >gratification of a dumb and funny story.
      >
      >TD
      >
      >PS at the same show a drunk women tossed her drink at Eye and splashed all
      >over his table of gear and he looked pretty
      >pissed off.
      >

      >--- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, surrealeye_2001 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "trip_fontayne"
      > > <trip_fontayne@h...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > ps: i'd love to fly to japan and ask him, i really should have
      > > asked
      > > > him when i passed him in the hallway of the Arches with his baby,
      > > > but i couldnt really muster up anything that i would be happy
      > > saying
      > > > to him
      > > > ---
      > >
      > > Wow,you saw Eye at McDonalds and you didn't even say hi?I wasn't
      > > aware he had a child,did he marry along time ago?The Bore-quirer
      > > needs to know.
      > >
      > > I guess I wouldn't know what to say either,I've had Tatsuya Yoshida
      > > and Yamamoto walk past me at clubs,but all I could say
      > > was"...hey.....".Next time I will ask Yoshimi to marry me.Or either
      > > of the Melt Banana ladies.

    • trip_fontayne
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
        yeah thats what i was talking about i passed him just as the AMM
        went on =)

        --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "Mr Hoody"

        http://www.msn.co.uk/specials/myemo
      • Mr Hoody
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
          Oh speaking of AMM..I got to see John Tilburry and Keith Rowe perform Duos
          For Doris at the CCA last night. Absolutely amazing..even better than the
          AMM performance at instal. There were only like 25 people in the room. The
          way the play off each other is amazing.

        • steve matis
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
            since someone mentioned AMM, i have a funny story
            about keith rowe. last year or the year before, he
            performed here in houston with toshimaru nakamura. it
            was my 2nd time seeing him so i decided to drag my
            father along, whom i occasionally take with me to see
            avant garde shows. i took him with me to see
            einsturzende neubauten in austin a couple of months
            ago and he is almost 60! haha. anyway, i didnt tell
            my father about what keith rowe does, which is
            essentially play and create some of the quietest and
            most delicate music in known existence, at least when
            he performs solo or with only one other person. when
            the whole show started, there were probably about 45
            people present i think, so it was a decent sized crowd
            and they were really receptive actually. the whole
            thing started off with keith rowe giving toshi a hair
            cut (!?) after which there was a 10 minute pause
            before "the 2nd set." me and the old man went up and
            talked to him actually for a minute or two. he is a
            really really insanely nice and intelligent man. my
            dad asked him all about his instrument, which was his
            guitar and his small mountain of gadgets. keith
            explained to us about the merits of dragging along
            several dozen small tiny things "just in case" the
            direction of the music might require a certain sound.
            i was particulalrly fascinated with his SINGLE feather
            that he would often use. he told us that its
            literally like playing with "nothing." when the show
            started, it pretty much sounded like that for 45+
            minutes. keith and toshi played off of each other and
            they both created these massive walls of delicate
            sound with almost silent little drips of static and
            fuzz. i never thought you could digitally delay
            silence before that night. unfortunately, i had
            forgotten to tell my father the nature of this type of
            music, as me and him typcially go to free jazz shows.
            the kicker came at the end, when they abruptly cut off
            and ended the performace. as everyone began clapping,
            my dad looked at me, flabbergasted, and asked me if
            that was it! he thought they were 'warming up' and
            just beginning their set. the whole brunt of the
            performance sort of passed him up and i had to spend
            about 30 minutes on the way home explaining why he had
            paid $10 to see two men create walls of amplified
            silence. he got it in the end. sorry about the
            irrelvant post, but as long as eye and company dont
            bother releasing something new, there really isnt much
            else worth talking about.

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • pjc
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
              >> sorry about the
              irrelvant post, but as long as eye and company dont
              bother releasing something new, there really isnt much
              else worth talking about.

              Hey man, that wasn't irrelevant at all; that was a great post, esp as I've
              seen both Rowe and Nakamura over the last couple of months (though sadly,
              not together), and esp as we seem to get more spam than genuine posts on
              this list nowadays anyway.

              AMM & MEV recorded an album together in London in late April. No idea when
              that'll be released but look out for it, it'll be a killer.

              p.

            • gygax
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
                has been DJ-ing around Tokyo a few times in the past 2 weeks.
              • trip_fontayne
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 3, 2004
                  --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, gygax <gygax0r@y...> wrote:
                  > has been DJ-ing around Tokyo a few times in the past 2 weeks.

                  i read on some site last night (i know how annoying it is that i
                  dont know where it was exactly) that the boredoms were about to
                  start recording fresh material as well as eyes solo project..

                  ^_^