Re: Seiichi Yamamoto

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 11, 2003

      > Omoide Hatoba. Everyone seems like to like "Kinsei," how
      > about "Mantanko" or "Black Hawaii" or "Vuoy"?

      Unfortunately I still haven't been able to get a copy of Vuoy(anyone
      want to help me out?)due to it's limited availability and price.Black
      Hawaii is very good,I think that album is where Yamamoto begin to
      focus.There is some great psychedelic passages,quirky pop/punk,a
      quirky guitar based instrumental that has a cool Hawaiian solo,it
      certainly would be a great OMoide album to start with.Here's hoping
      he revives Omo someday!

      > Seiichi Yamamoto. I read that most of the music on "Crown of Fuzzy
      > Groove" and "Nu Frequency" mostly meander a lot; I don't
      > particularly care for that - I prefer for more focused, more
      intense
      > compositions. Still, which is the better album?

      Hard to say,possibly the first one,it's more atmospheric,yet somehow
      not as meandering as Nu Frequency,and it has the beautiful Mantral
      song on it.

      > I've also just been made aware of other groups he's been in, but
      > hardly heard anything about them. I'd like to know more about his
      > other projects like:
      >
      > Novo Tono
      > Rashinban
      > Sun Kich
      > ya-to-i

      Not too familiar with Novo Tono,have heard 2 songs,kind of
      improv/jazzy/prog-ish,Rashinban I haven't heard,although I believe
      Seiichi did the soundtrack to a movie called Adrenaline Drive,which
      was more low key,pretty quirky instrumentals,nothing that stood
      out.I think I might have mentioned before I didn't care for Sun
      Kich.Alot of it is recorded so it's overly distorted and
      buzzing,which ruins it for me.It's just the two guys messing
      about,actually not too far removed from the Ruins-Hatoba cd.I wish
      these guys would sit down and write some real songs.
    • 1-0
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 13, 2003
        --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, marc2000000000 <no_reply@y...>
        wrote:
        > Rovo. I've heard "Flage" and their double album on Tzadik was the
        > best, how are the other albums like "Sai," "Imago," etc.?

        Actually, I'd say Imago and Sai are their best records.

        >Novo Tono

        This band also features Phew and Otomo Yoshihide. Sort of avant-
        prog/pop band, similar to Demi Semi Quaver in places, but also
        reminiscent of the 80s band After Dinner. I wish they'd release
        another record, because this one has a lot of promise.

        Dominique
      • dcmitchum
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5, 2006
          The folks at Dusted have posted an MP3 from the latest Yamamoto
          solo LP in their feature on Sounds from Japan:

          http://www.dustedmagazine.com/features/488
        • trigger_goldberg
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 6, 2006
            Could this be the first Yamamoto album that I ... don't like??? *gasp*

            The mp3 was okay. Personally, I thought it a tad reminiscent of the
            cheesier of 80s fusion, unfortunately. Perhaps he's hanging out with
            the wrong crowd (these ROVO playin' types).

            Anyway, does anyone know what this album is called?

            --- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "dcmitchum" <dmitchum@...> wrote:

            > The folks at Dusted have posted an MP3 from the latest Yamamoto
            > solo LP in their feature on Sounds from Japan:
            >
            > http://www.dustedmagazine.com/features/488

          • Quintus Frimschlowder VIII
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 6, 2006
              I recall buying one of Yamamoto's Tzadik albums a while back - I think it
              was Baptism. It was a bunch of solo guitar pieces with mostly no effects.
              The spareseness was interesting, and I enjoyed it for a little while, but
              after three or four listens it found a fairly permanent home on my shelf and
              hasn't really been played since.

              That said, I adore his work with Rovo and pretty much everything else of his
              that I've heard.

              Brendan
              http://scatterbrain.raygunarmy.com/