Re: supersmug

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 14, 2003
      good news for you (and good to share), but $100?? ouch. depending on
      your locality, try with area record/cd shops that deal in imports (or
      whose owners have good taste). while your price sounds just fine--and
      reason to celebrate--i'd like to know which ripoff artists are
      conning fans into paying 2x, 3x or more for in-print cds. even at
      store retail, i've never paid more than $20 or so per cd for boredoms
      imports, new. don't support those crooks who would take advantage of
      your interests financially--profit is one thing, judicious markup is
      another; the recording artist gets no more royalties than they do on
      a list purchase, and you spend more money. but do, however, continue
      supporting the musicians with purchases of their products. import
      markups are more easily debatable, though, than sales of bootlegs at
      prices well in excess of retail. while on the subject, anyone have
      copies of officially released boredoms in video formats (mpeg, etc.)--
      even in a ripped file? that's something i can't find... -- In
      theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "wingsoftoast" <wingsoftoast@y...> wrote:
      > just thought i'd share my joy at acquiring super roots 5 (used /
      > mint) + hanatarash 5 (sealed) for $57 including postage - used
      > strangelove records in tokyo (run by junko suzuki - fantastic
      service
      > + i cannot recommend highly enough)
      > thanks also to popkiss / sore diamonds matey for pointing out copy
      of
      > super roots 5 at amazon.co.jp - advice to anyone who doesn't know
      > this already - don't use ebay unless you really have to - it's
      stupid
      > paying $100 for something that you can get at normal price by
      > searching around a bit.
      >
      > best wishes to y'all
      > peter
    • robertheinlein66
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 26, 2003
        they are like the people in this group who sell video tapes on ebaY
        that are dub of vhs that they make and cost like 2 dollars and sell
        for 50 dollars or more.

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 26, 2003
          yes, i just got a legit new copy of nico:icon (velvet underground-
          related, of course) at a retail store for $1.99 but i've seen dealers
          selling it at $15-20, but in a dub and obviously lesser quality.
          unless something is truly rare or not available--and there are many
          such exceptions--all these guys are doing is stealing from fans.
          these guys (1)don't own the rights to sell this material in copied
          form (trades are exempt, of course) and (2)are making back many times
          more than their original cost, which is usually minimal. real fans
          and archivists will consider trading to get other things they are
          looking for, and sell what is only honestly theirs to sell, at a
          reasonable price.--- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, robertheinlein66

        • wingsoftoast
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 31, 2003
            i think i've been moved to try a little harder tracking stuff down
            largely because of the insane prices the rarer boredoms backlist
            titles reach on ebay - the free with chocolate synthesizer super
            roots mini cd (about 4 minutes long isn't it?) went for $80+ quite
            recently!

            i've also got the nagging suspicion that should the vooredoms cd
            finally comes out warners / trattoria might rerelease some stuff
            (fingers crossed).

            super roots 5 + hanatarash 5 make a nice pair if i do say so myself -
            the hanatarash disc is like a cartoon version of the boredoms one...

            on a different tack i see that eye's remixed black dice ?? i didn't
            think 'beaches and canyon's' was much kop to be honest - sounds a bit
            like the fennesz 'endless summer' album with can 'tago mago' drums.
            actually that sounds quite good... er ... anyway it wasn't as good as
            the hype might have suggested

            best wishes

            peter
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 31, 2003
              anyone able to do any streaming audio captures on cdr? the kcrw site
              has cornelius and others...--- In