supersmug

  • wingsoftoast
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 12, 2003
      just thought i'd share my joy at acquiring super roots 5 (used /
      mint) + hanatarash 5 (sealed) for $57 including postage - used
      strangelove records in tokyo (run by junko suzuki - fantastic service
      + i cannot recommend highly enough)
      thanks also to popkiss / sore diamonds matey for pointing out copy of
      super roots 5 at amazon.co.jp - advice to anyone who doesn't know
      this already - don't use ebay unless you really have to - it's stupid
      paying $100 for something that you can get at normal price by
      searching around a bit.

      best wishes to y'all
      peter
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 14, 2003
        good news for you (and good to share), but $100?? ouch. depending on
        your locality, try with area record/cd shops that deal in imports (or
        whose owners have good taste). while your price sounds just fine--and
        reason to celebrate--i'd like to know which ripoff artists are
        conning fans into paying 2x, 3x or more for in-print cds. even at
        store retail, i've never paid more than $20 or so per cd for boredoms
        imports, new. don't support those crooks who would take advantage of
        your interests financially--profit is one thing, judicious markup is
        another; the recording artist gets no more royalties than they do on
        a list purchase, and you spend more money. but do, however, continue
        supporting the musicians with purchases of their products. import
        markups are more easily debatable, though, than sales of bootlegs at
        prices well in excess of retail. while on the subject, anyone have
        copies of officially released boredoms in video formats (mpeg, etc.)--
        even in a ripped file? that's something i can't find... -- In
        theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, "wingsoftoast" <wingsoftoast@y...> wrote:
        > just thought i'd share my joy at acquiring super roots 5 (used /
        > mint) + hanatarash 5 (sealed) for $57 including postage - used
        > strangelove records in tokyo (run by junko suzuki - fantastic
        service
        > + i cannot recommend highly enough)
        > thanks also to popkiss / sore diamonds matey for pointing out copy
        of
        > super roots 5 at amazon.co.jp - advice to anyone who doesn't know
        > this already - don't use ebay unless you really have to - it's
        stupid
        > paying $100 for something that you can get at normal price by
        > searching around a bit.
        >
        > best wishes to y'all
        > peter
      • robertheinlein66
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 26, 2003
          they are like the people in this group who sell video tapes on ebaY
          that are dub of vhs that they make and cost like 2 dollars and sell
          for 50 dollars or more.

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 26, 2003
            yes, i just got a legit new copy of nico:icon (velvet underground-
            related, of course) at a retail store for $1.99 but i've seen dealers
            selling it at $15-20, but in a dub and obviously lesser quality.
            unless something is truly rare or not available--and there are many
            such exceptions--all these guys are doing is stealing from fans.
            these guys (1)don't own the rights to sell this material in copied
            form (trades are exempt, of course) and (2)are making back many times
            more than their original cost, which is usually minimal. real fans
            and archivists will consider trading to get other things they are
            looking for, and sell what is only honestly theirs to sell, at a
            reasonable price.--- In theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, robertheinlein66

          • wingsoftoast
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 31, 2003
              i think i've been moved to try a little harder tracking stuff down
              largely because of the insane prices the rarer boredoms backlist
              titles reach on ebay - the free with chocolate synthesizer super
              roots mini cd (about 4 minutes long isn't it?) went for $80+ quite
              recently!

              i've also got the nagging suspicion that should the vooredoms cd
              finally comes out warners / trattoria might rerelease some stuff
              (fingers crossed).

              super roots 5 + hanatarash 5 make a nice pair if i do say so myself -
              the hanatarash disc is like a cartoon version of the boredoms one...

              on a different tack i see that eye's remixed black dice ?? i didn't
              think 'beaches and canyon's' was much kop to be honest - sounds a bit
              like the fennesz 'endless summer' album with can 'tago mago' drums.
              actually that sounds quite good... er ... anyway it wasn't as good as
              the hype might have suggested

              best wishes

              peter
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 31, 2003
                anyone able to do any streaming audio captures on cdr? the kcrw site
                has cornelius and others...--- In