1673[the boredoms] Re: beefheart effect?

    Sep 9, 2004
      i thought i read somewhere that the usa release of soul discharge
      actually was poorly mastered or something. when i heard the boredoms'
      take on "blue hawaii", that is what pulled me in. i asked my father
      for a tape of trout mask in the early '80s from a friend of his who
      is a bigtime record collector in this region. this kept my college
      roommates far away, as desired, but i learned in the process that
      trout mask replica is a thing of beauty and density, like a james
      joyce or william burroughs novel. a friend at a different college
      even invented a dance for "the blimp (troutmaskreplica)" in his
      dormitory that was suppressed after someone else injured his head
      performing the dance, which required dizziness, apparently.--- In
      theboredoms@yahoogroups.com, Hannu Haahti <hhaahti@d...> wrote:

      > the first time i ever heard boredoms it was soul discharge'99
      > and i had only heard that sonic youth likes them so i though
      > they must be cool... but it was just mess, i declared it the
      > worst cd i'd ever heard... then i heard trout mask replica...
      > and that really changed my life, and that's nowadays my
      > all-time favourite album. after that i really got into
      > boredoms as well... and, soul discharge '99 is nowadays my
      > favourite boredoms album, although i like them all.
      >
      > i think trout mask replica has influenced so many good bands
      > like boredoms and caroliner etc.
      >
      > h.
      >

      > > yeah, it's comforting to think that there are these
      > > channels of inspiration from potent sources (trout mask is
      > > such an AMAZING album), shared by equally exciting/excited
      > > artists.---
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic